Cost of living in Guards Regiments

Discussion in 'Officers' started by acompletearrse, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off - hello everybody, I'm new here, so if there any initiation ceremonies involving a radish, the severed head of a goat and a wimple (or similar), then please count me in.

However, until that time, I was rather hoping that someone here might able to offer a definitive answer to a question regarding the Guards regiments (specifically the Coldstreamers, but also in general).

I have heard it said that unless one has a private income of some description, or is just generally richer than the average bear, then you will struggle to "fit in" in a Guards regiment. Is this true, or is this a rumour that persists from a bygone era? Please bear in mind I'm not talking about "class" or "the old school tie", I'm simply talking about cold hard cash.

I apologise if this has been covered before, but any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Wimple - 'a garment of mediaeval Europe worn by women.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimple

WTF are you on about?

Oh, BTW, expect lots of replies saying 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it' or similar.

3. Mention of private incomes in 2007 is utter spherical-and-plural-and-they-bounce.

Guards' regts will always be moderately awash with blokes who have money; but today's pay is better than ever, and can sustain a very fine life.

Two or three of my pals' sons are in, or have recently served with, CG - and most managed with very little or no subbing from home.

If you want to be a career officer, and have ability, you will quickly leave behind the significant element who are only in for a few years, to make the contacts and get the tie, before vanishing to the City etc. Good luck to them. :x

Yours is probably a finer calling. 8)

Good luck! :D

4. I knew one rich young officer who was forever getting into hot-water with his CO, for bouncing cheques.

5. Can you afford a pair of red moleskins?

6. Bouncing Czechs, now there was a film destined for an oscar :thumleft:

7. acompletearrse.....go for your commision and have a great career...
    The days of coffee house fops and baffoons are gone (sons of WW2 Generals) The ARMY LIST Sept 1965...is a good read and a laugh!!!!!

I did meet a few on their final medicals, and the usual question was asked....what are you going to do in civillian life..90% replied .........
    Golf Club Manager!!!!!

8. Dragstrip, I take it you never saw Blackadder the Third?

9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

The idea that you needed some independent wealth to survive in a modern Guards battalion is a complete fantasy. It dates from National Service days when there were differential rates of pay between regular and national service officers and it doesn't apply now. Of course there are independently wealthy officers in the Guards, as well as various other parts of the Army, but the Guards are nowhere near as socially exclusive as the myths would suggest.

At which point I'm locking this thread, as this subject comes up with monotonous regularity.

However, a useful service could be performed by some keen, fresh-faced young Arrser who is prepared to start a 'Myths' thread which can eventually be made into a sticky. Keep it clean-ish: this isn't the Naafi!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.