Cost of American Air Conditioning!

The staggering cost of providing air conditioning for American troops in Afghanistan was discussed on the Today programme this morning - I've tried unsuccessfully to find a link on the Beeb's site.

A retired US Brig. Gen was explaining all. Apparently it costs $200 million (?) a year to try and air con their tents! The figure represents roughly a third of the entire British defence budget!! The cost of a gallon of fuel is $45 a gallon by the time it reaches Theatre and this, amongst other things, drives the cost up.

The logistic effort, cost in LSD and in 'blood' (as the General said) is tremendous. He did go on to say that he's surprised that they don't make the use of insulated tents the norm.

Fascinating. One then thinks of what our forebears went through whilst fighting it out in the North West Frontier in any number of actions that are recorded on the table mats on the table of the Mess. One also thinks of all those there NOT living in an air conditioned tent.

You'd have thought that if ever there was a job where "renewables" could take at least some of the load it was this.

With fuel at $45/gal shipping in a load of solar panels would seem to be a viable option.

Mind you it's kind of odd just how many of the structures out there are temporary and therefore pretty inefficient - even at the big permanent bases - all these years later.
Spending a bit of time and money on more durable structures would surely have paid off by now. You can make all sorts of admittedly rough-and-ready buildings out of a combination of desert dirt, water and modern binding agents.

Fascinating. One then thinks of what our forebears went through whilst fighting it out in the North West Frontier in any number of actions that are recorded on the table mats on the table of the Mess. One also thinks of all those there NOT living in an air conditioned tent.
Nonsense, I have it on good authority that during engagements in the heat of the day which were expected to last for over four hours, the men were sometimes allowed to undo their top tunic buttons. Scandalous really, if the folks back home had ever found out, but it shows how flexible and forward thinking British Raj commanders were.

wot they need are flysheets on the tents - saves 80% on Air con costs, but trying to explain that to the powers that be would be like knitting fog!! - plus, you can buy fuel in helmand for $1.60 a litre so not sure why they are paying $45 a gallon, must be the fact they use JP8 instead of diesel...good for hairyplanes but dammed expensive when used in generators.

You can make all sorts of admittedly rough-and-ready buildings out of a combination of desert dirt, water and modern binding agents.
not if you are obliged to follow US building regs you cant :)

Mess the bed indeed! Its outrageous.
Bearing in mind this figure, according to the Brig Gen, means that many US tents are kept at a pretty high temperature such as 85oF anyway if in +100oF heat as very very few are insulated! It is really quite incredible. He mentioned that at very least US tents should be insulated as standard in such countries.
Worth bearing in mind that alot of people are making money in the long, long logistics chain that brings this fuel, a/c equipment, servicing etc etc to theatre. He himself is making money from it! He was keen to point out that only small fortunes are being made but he would say that. If Halliburton etc are involved as they most likley are they must be raking it in...as well as all the other means of making money such as food and beverage and ...just about everything going really.....

war can be a nice little earner if you can shake the right hands can't it?....
It would be interesting to hear "JJH's" comments on this! It sounds a bit like Iraq where huge ammounts of profiteering/thieving/bribing went on to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars see here:- BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | BBC uncovers lost Iraq billions
Possibly another tranch of the same in Afghanistan?

If they get a few more drones over there and get them to circle above the camps, everyone will be able to live in the shade......

What size solar panel will run an A/C?
I seem to recall that a panel can produce up to 1kW/m^2.

A domestic A/C unit can be 10-20kW, so therefore 10-20m^2 of panel might be a good estimate?

...and of course, only while the sun shines!

What size solar panel will run an A/C?
Large solar panel kit producing 120W (dc) costs around £600.
2400 BTU ACU uses around 1200W input power so need 10 solar panels per 24000BTU. Ie £6000 plus cost of inverter say £7000 in total.

Edited to add, a 24000BTU ACU is approx 6.83kW output.

It costs whatever it costs. The soldiers did not ask to go there. AC is considered an everyday ordinary expectation in most hot parts of the world that have heard of cars and electricity. Why should troops US or UK, not have it?

It costs whatever it costs. The soldiers did not ask to go there. AC is considered an everyday ordinary expectation in most hot parts of the world that have heard of cars and electricity. Why should troops US or UK, not have it?
I don't think that anybody is suggesting AC is a bad thing just that it seems a little bit on the dear side due to a combination of inefficiency, graft and general military daftness.

Look on the bright side, UK & US get full environmental conditioning (heat and cool) , ANA get fans.

But in uninsulated tents, they are trying to heat/cool the whole of afghanistan, an insulation layer in the tents have a pay back of less than 12 months. An additional Flysheet would pay back in about 3 months . but since when has that type of costing ever impinged on the military procurement personnel. One gang are responsible for capital costs, the other for running and maintenance - two separate entities that will never speak to each other.

I had malaria once you know, after I got back from the war, I wonder if having aircon would have prevented it?.

At the time I was shuffling around Oxford, looking for a pied a terre for my old fagmaster who had been donning during the hostilities, and I was becoming rather disillusioned with the few hovels I had inspected. Fortunately I had arranged to meet Pevensy "Eggs' Lickspittle-Evans from the Hampshire Lickspittle-evanses for a spot of brunch and a gin fizz or nine at the Old Bull in Portmanteau street.

As I was jiggering along in my old Morgan 4-4 I came over all queer and began to feel a certain sense of looseness around the old back passage, to my horror I realised that I had indeed got myself onto a sticky wicket and that my Calico three piece was hors de combat.
Of course, once my benumbed senses realised the full extent of my predicament I became gripped by a rather melancholy air and as a result failed to notice a troop of rather nubile fillies sauntering across the lane. At the last second my excreta occupied thoughts registered their pulchritudinous presence and I , deft of hand and heroic of thew, swerved.
Alas for the fickle undergarments of ill-fortune, for labouring sweatily down the road, overstressed Sturmey-Archer buckling beneath him, was Sgt.Armature of the Oxford police, (terror of many a ripe fellow), and no force, sweetly smiling Moirae or lucky swerve could stay the course of my rubber shod carriage.

Needless to say, twenty stones of policeman being eviscerated by the long sensuous bonnet of a classic English car can hide a multitude of sins, particularly as said peeler had just partaken of twelve steak and eel pies.

I of course, was exonerated by the beak, (cry god for freemasonry,what?.), and despite the cruel loss of my linens, I came out smelling of roses after one of the nubiles approached me at a soiree the following year and revealed that she had become a woman of pleasure instantly due to the shock of seeing Sgt. Armature's upper colon unravelling across the tarmac, and without ado dragged me into the rhododendrons for a spot of conjugal elevenses.

Of course I have had the odd relapse every now and again, but apart from the time Great Aunt Ophelias back door got kicked in I have had a jolly old time of it.

P.s. I never did meet Lickspittle-Evans and I was perhaps fortunate in that instance for he apparently, while brunching alone, fell in with a wrong sort and was found the next day rogered to death in Throstle street behind of pile of tea chests.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
wot they need are flysheets on the tents - saves 80% on Air con costs, but trying to explain that to the powers that be would be like knitting fog!! - plus, you can buy fuel in helmand for $1.60 a litre so not sure why they are paying $45 a gallon, must be the fact they use JP8 instead of diesel...good for hairyplanes but dammed expensive when used in generators.
No option fro excess profits on flysheets - far to simple an idea. Stop being sensible.

Spending a bit of time and money on more durable structures would surely have paid off by now. You can make all sorts of admittedly rough-and-ready buildings out of a combination of desert dirt, water and modern binding agents.
not if you are obliged to follow US building regs you cant :)
Ahh but you'd be wrong there young taz, there is a cheap and cheerful system that already makes use of the aforemention mud and other crap that does meet California Building Regulations and is commonly used in the States: SupeAdobe, developed by the late Iranian-American Architect Nader Khalili

Superadobe - What is Superadobe?

Super Adobe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had malaria once you know, after I got back from the war, I wonder if having aircon would have prevented it?.

At the time I was shuffling around Oxford, looking for a pied a terre for my old fagmaster who had been donning during the hostilities, and I was becoming rather disillusioned with the few hovels I had inspected. Fortunately I had arranged to meet Pevensy "Eggs' Lickspittle-Evans from the Hampshire Lickspittle-evanses for a spot of brunch and a gin fizz or nine at the Old Bull in Portmanteau street.

As I was jiggering along in my old Morgan 4-4 I came over all queer and began to feel a certain sense of looseness around the old back passage, to my horror I realised that I had indeed got myself onto a sticky wicket and that my Calico three piece was hors de combat.
Of course, once my benumbed senses realised the full extent of my predicament I became gripped by a rather melancholy air and as a result failed to notice a troop of rather nubile fillies sauntering across the lane. At the last second my excreta occupied thoughts registered their pulchritudinous presence and I , deft of hand and heroic of thew, swerved.
Alas for the fickle undergarments of ill-fortune, for labouring sweatily down the road, overstressed Sturmey-Archer buckling beneath him, was Sgt.Armature of the Oxford police, (terror of many a ripe fellow), and no force, sweetly smiling Moirae or lucky swerve could stay the course of my rubber shod carriage.

Needless to say, twenty stones of policeman being eviscerated by the long sensuous bonnet of a classic English car can hide a multitude of sins, particularly as said peeler had just partaken of twelve steak and eel pies.

I of course, was exonerated by the beak, (cry god for freemasonry,what?.), and despite the cruel loss of my linens, I came out smelling of roses after one of the nubiles approached me at a soiree the following year and revealed that she had become a woman of pleasure instantly due to the shock of seeing Sgt. Armature's upper colon unravelling across the tarmac, and without ado dragged me into the rhododendrons for a spot of conjugal elevenses.

Of course I have had the odd relapse every now and again, but apart from the time Great Aunt Ophelias back door got kicked in I have had a jolly old time of it.

P.s. I never did meet Lickspittle-Evans and I was perhaps fortunate in that instance for he apparently, while brunching alone, fell in with a wrong sort and was found the next day rogered to death in Throstle street behind of pile of tea chests.
Can you tell me what you call, the substance you abuse, because it seems pretty strong???