Cost of a respray

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Blokeonabike, Mar 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for a rough cost - nearest £100 for what it should cost me to have a front bumper resprayed. It is a plastic bumper and gloss black (not metallic). Paint has been rubbed off but no actual damage to the bumper.

What am I looking at?

My guess is in the £250 region. But I would like to hear from anyone who has had similar done recently or is in/connected with the business and can advise.

• Like Like x 1
  2. A bumper on what? A Fiat 500, or an articulated lorry?

3. The other option is to ring a few repair places and ask? A novel approach I know, but it may prove fruitful.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Repair places I have called have all siad the same thing - bring it in and we will have a look. Even a good description and clear statement that all I want is a respray, no repair work, wont get them to make a ball-park estimate. I just want to know if it is even woirth considering.

Its on a Vauxhall Astra, black as stated. it is just a "rub" but quite a large patch hence why I am considering a respray of the whole bumper.

5. It should be around £200.

6. Thanks PA, thats close to what I was expecting.

7. Price a new one first , sometimes they can be cheaper than a repair , other times you may have a coronary.

Google is your friend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alternatively, A second hand one from a car breakers. Or "breaking for spares"

9. Try someone that just does chips, don't have it all resprayed if it's not needed. They won't give you a price without looking at it. If you ask any local garages who they recommend, could be useful.

10. A new one that needs painting?

11. We are none to wise as to what model it is , some vehicles use black bumpers on all colour cars.

12. It's a Vauxhall Astra with black gloss paint.

• Like Like x 1
  13. It's a Poxhall Disastra, so hardly worth fixing. However, in the spirit of co-operation - my Jaaaag bumper was damaged in a similar manner, and a local bodyshop did it for £40. Zircon blue metallic is a tricky bugger to match, but they did an excellent job. £200 for a bumper blowover is a pisstake. You can get a windows-out and all trim off respray on a non-metallic car for £500.

14. Ahhhh..but what gloss black...Java Black, Night Black, Diamond Black...the list goes on and on!

Its easy enough to do yourself with a spray can and wet and dry. Light coats, rub down in between and it comes out looking lovely!

Laods and loads of "How to's" on YouTube etc.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks for all the input. Its not my car so I am not looking to do a home made job on it. The rub is probably too big for satisfactory treatment as a scratch. As long as it comes in for £200 or less I will be content.