Cost of a pint could rise 60% to £4

£4?????? Thats cheaper than some bars in london.

I'll worry when it does. As I am in Germany I don't think it will. If it does however stand by for massive German rearmament and rationing.

A mate of mine owns a micro brewery and needs help with R&D, so not for me!

stacker1 said:
£4?????? Thats cheaper than some bars in london.
Yeah, well, they take the piss in those bars with their watered down brews. Imagine their prices rising by 60%. Around here you can still get a pint for under a couple of quid.

I'm already paying £3.10 for a Guinness in deepest darkest Hampshire. 60% takes it to just under a £5. 8O

Time to stock in from the offie, I think

My corporal mess was chargeing 70p for just under a pint since PAYD took over its gone up to £2.80 an increase of 300%, Don't think it was to do with the price of hops though :cry:

As if Guardian readers care about the price of beer

Isn't there a rule of thumb that in Britiain a pint of beer has traditionally been around the price of the largest coin in circulation? And aren't they bringing a £5 coin into full circulation soon? :cry:

sanchauk said:
Isn't there a rule of thumb that in Britiain a pint of beer has traditionally been around the price of the largest coin in circulation? And aren't they bringing a £5 coin into full circulation soon? :cry:
Not until they introduce a 5 Euro coin. We have the same denominations as the Euro, and the faint buzzing sounds I get from my tinfoil hat suggest that isn't by accident... :eek:

Can I be the first to say I'm outraged?

So know the holiest of holy's is going up in price along with everything else we can eat and drink does this mean inflation will finally start to rise? or does it not count as the price of 32" flatscreens is still falling?

stacker1 said:
My corporal mess was chargeing 70p for just under a pint
70p or not, I'd take it back and demand a full measure!

sanchauk said:
Five pound coins are legal tender, but are intended as souvenirs and are almost never seen in circulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_five_pound_coin

Does this mean that the government will not have to increase the price of alcohol then? They will not have any excuse to put more tax on now....result.

Going to say it

"Told you so!"

Just before the "Stop that filthy smoking" law came into force at at every opportunity since I have been warning you all that this would happen.

First they make a big song and dance about the health dangers of drinking, then they put the price up (again and again) then they start the propoganda to make drinkers social outcasts, then they ban it.

The first two have already happened and part 3 is well underway.

Won't be long before you can't drink in public.

Steven said:
Going to say it

"Told you so!"

Just before the "Stop that filthy smoking" law came into force at at every opportunity since I have been warning you all that this would happen.

First they make a big song and dance about the health dangers of drinking, then they put the price up (again and again) then they start the propoganda to make drinkers social outcasts, then they ban it.

The first two have already happened and part 3 is well underway.

Won't be long before you can't drink in public.
The smoking ban and the possibility of drinking in public being outlawed fit nicely into Labour's plan to prevent the British people from gathering in social units. Divide and rule.

Cheaper to drink petrol then?

Seriously this will just drive binge drinking into homes as has already been claimed. We should be cutting the price of booze to get those middle aged folk out of the house and into the pubs just raise the price of a Doner to 10 quid. Let's face it when you go for a donner they could charge what ever they want you won't know until the morning.

Jockster

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Run_Charlie! The NAAFI Bar 38
commsbloke Current Affairs, News and Analysis 12
D Officers 12