Cortison Injection

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by OldGrumpy, Mar 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening

I am due to have a cortison injection in my knee, after a number of months of feeling as though glass is being twisted in the inside of my knee I have had an MRI scan and it looks like my only option is the above injection.

Has anybody here had a similar issue? I am hoping that once done I can go back to my Tabs and runs without struggling to walk the next day...running feels good but once I stop the pain comes back.... I was originally hoping that the issue would be sorted with a bit of keyhole and a clean out but have been told this will not help..

I'm only 45 and was expecting a few more years ahead of me yet...

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I had it in both feet it ******* hurts. I believe I called the medic (Capt RAMC) a Bastard he smiled, didn't put me on a charge but proceeded to inject the other foot.

Its going to hurt like **** and its will take a while to work so run on it if you want :)))))))))))))))
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cortisone is a anti inflammatory so relief from pain when inflammation reduced should occur, whether you should be back doing your runs etc is issue you should ask your doctor about, as they are the ones who know why the inflammation occurred be that arthritis, bursitis or whatever.

Cortisone often is not a cure for condition it is administered for, it is either part of a programme of care or to help function/reduce pain in the knee.

So the doc is the one to advise you, listen to their advice even if it not what you wish to hear.
  4. I had Dequervain's Tendonitis and had to have a Cortizone Injection. It hurt but dealt with the problem quite quickly. They usually try other anti inflammatory s first I am told but I am in no way a medical professional. Good Luck.
  5. Cortisone injections are ******* brilliant in taking your mind off the pain that you were being even more ******* painful!
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Like everyone else has said, it proper ******* hurts.

My two injections were into the shin muscle. It felt that the doctors was spot welding the muscle back into place.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I was told I had torn the cartlidge in one knee but it cracked back in and was allright, a few years on every time I went downhill after a climb it was sheer agony, eventually I had the original knee looked at, scanned finding nothing obvious so then they went in anyway and took a flap off which was causing trouble. move on a bit and I could barley walk the down time then the physio they did on me caused my muscles to tighten up the wrong way but I didnt know this at the time and went back. another scan then an offer to go into the other knee. queried it and got sent to another guy who made me lie back and raise my knees a bit, he then pushed down, I squealed and he made me go for an xray in the same position he had me in.

turned out I had patello femoral maltracking which was due to the physio tightening up one side of the knee effecting the ligaments and pulling the kneecap to the side which was why it felt like they were full of glass or someone was trying to prize them off.

ended up resting then building them up again with a different set of physio.

its worth looking at as cortisone can work but it can also make things worse.

Caution When Considering Cortisone Injections | Suite101

if running is impacting and causing pain then switch to cycling to build up the muscle around the joint and give it stability. you also need to change your running style to a toe first one which isn't easy. use the calves to absorb the shock instead of the knees.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My GP did both of my feet but is reluctant to keep it up, I have special insoles! 0A was in the waiting room claimed I screamed but alhough it was painful the steri wipes tickled like ****!
  9. I had the same symptoms in my knees, try taking glucosamine sulfate. Off the shelf stuff but has done the trick. Someone on here recommended something different but I can't remember what it was
  10. I had to have both shoulders and elbows cortisoned back in 1996; they had all been pretty painful for many months. I haven't had any problems since, except for my right shoulder, which won't allow me to play tennis, but is otherwise fine.

Don't worry about the injections, a good doctor will make sure they're only moderately prickly.
  11. I have Tenosynovitis in my foot. Ignored it for months until I could hardly walk. Eventually went to the doc who sent me to physio where I eventually got the injection. Hurt like a bastard but have been pain free now for 3 months. Took a week to ten days before I didn't notice any residual pain.
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Was it Pot? Pot works for me.

I have not had cortisone because I am a Nordic sex God and there is nowt wrong with me. But a mate of mine had it. And he said it ******* knacks. Apparently it is like child birth. But without the gas & air and with rather less blood.

Think of it like a 9" nail driven into your joint. By a sadist torturer.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ha! There's some fems on here tonight. I had bursitis in both elbows (from firing the PROPER rifle on gravel ranges). The painful problem flared up immediately after every prone range shoot - that pain was a nightmare.

Anyway, I put up with it for 5 years, then after the Booty course in 85, I went to see the Navy doc at Seaton Bks Plymouth and he said I could continue farting around with Brufen OR get it fixed, in one go, with a hydro-cortisone jab into each elbow joint.

I went away to mull it over and twatted my elbow on the doorframe going back into the office.

Straight back to the MO, cortisone pumped into each elbow joint via hypodermic syringe, problem solved.

The bursitis never came back thank christ, it was one of the most painful, inconvenient things I've ever suffered.

@ the OP, ask your medic what the pro's and cons are, weigh up the options and go for it. Cortisone injections worked for me, but you make the informed decision.

Good luck.
  14. OP - pain's relative.