Corsair bailout/crash Video

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Trip_Wire, Feb 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. is it racing a spitfire?
  3. Good clip TW ,glad he got out.
  4. I am not that knowlegable, but I take it there is not ejector seat so he would have had to climb out? Mad as ferrets these pilots, but fun to watch :thumright:
  5. Bet he was glad he had that extra hundred feet and wasn't as low as some of them get. Interesting to see the speed after bail-out blew the flames out. Probably burning oil.
  6. No expert but.....................the white smoke that came out first looked suspicially like coolant, reminded me of a Chieftain tank with blown liners! Mass coolant loss probaly lead to rapid engine overheat and subsequent blow!
  7. If in doubt rtfqa.

Yep, it's always nice to know when it's time to go!
  8. unlikely to be coolant as the f4U has a radial engine that does not have any coolant! it is air cooled.
  9. Well, he did say he wasn't an expert. Should have spotted that as well. :frustrated:
  10. Looking at the size of that plume of flame, (and the long white smoke trail) my guess is that it was a fuel fire.

Took some balls to stay with it for as long as he did- presumably to get it away from the crowd line. If it was a fuel fire it could have gone bang in a heartbeat.
  11. Kevin Eldridges' bail-out of the Super Corsair. Not immediatly obvious is the fact he hit the tail on the way out, Broken arm and a broken leg too.

He stayed with the aircraft to get clear of the crowd, then everything went tits the moment he tried to leave. Well it went tits when the donk let go.
  12. I love the way the guy on the PA was talking to the crowd as if it was all part of the show - true professional.
  13. Like I said I'm no expert, but in the back of my mind there was something niggling me about the radial I know, cheers! :thumright:
  14. It does make you realise about the size of nads required by WW2 pilots to fly planes like that in combat.

I may have been nice about the Crabs there. I apologise unreservedly .....