Corruption on the Hill

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Jan 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Abramoff pleads guilty to fraud 5:07pm ET
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Lobbyist Jack Abramoff pleaded guilty to fraud charges on Tuesday and agreed to help U.S. prosecutors in a corruption probe that could involve several top Republican lawmakers, including former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

The BBC World servive has just carried an interview with an Expert who says that this will cause very high level problems for Republicans and only minor problems for Democrats so Bush will certainly get even more grief at high level.
    Wonder why this never happens in UK for has Blur not run the most corrupt government since Lloyd George ?
  2. Parliament it seems, for all it's sins does have some standards, although Bliar has presided (literaly) over a distinct decline.

So I presume they'll make themselves readily available for questioning?

Isn't there an agreement in the extraditon treaty between the US and Israel that anyone found guilty serves their time in an Israeli chokey?

Not sure if the treaty has been updated since 1998
  4. Of course it is only trouble for republicans, democrates are as pure as the wind driven snow :roll:

This is gong to touch both parties equally, but more then likely no one in a leadership position :wink:
  5. Agreed this will take down politicians of both parties - anyone who is guilty of wrong doing should face justice. Link below is an even handed discussion of the scandal.
  6. I think Abramoff is a prime candidate for having a fatal heart attack/midnight car crash/stroke/drowning accident/bizarre DIY tragedy very shortly.

Because I don't think for a second , this is just about bribing politicians, especially looking at some of the politicians accused and the responsibilities they have.

Don't go for a walk in the woods, or get into the bath with a tube of superglue will you Mr. Abramoff.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to go back to the days when Presidents just got blown by interns.
  7. Well T6 if thats a fair discusion then 'Wheel the guilty barsteward in Sgt Major.'

PTP was that Blown or Blown up ? I still don't beleive one guy got shot by a lone gunman, Never Have.

8. Whatever ctauch and T6 say about this being a truly bi-partisan scandal, things like this always hit the ruling party hardest.

Moreover, wasn't it 1994 when the perception that 'all Congressmen are corrupt' caused an awful lot of seats to change hands - benefiting the non-ruling party, the Republicans?

9. In much the same way that the Shining Path swept to victory in '97, vowing to do away with the sleaze that had stained the Tory government................... funny how these things are cyclic isn't it?
  10. Here are the scores on the doors so far regarding legislators, political activists and administration officials that are known to have had potentially dodgy dealings with Abramoff (the former national leader of the College Republicans):

Congress: Republicans-18, Democrats-3
    Activists and staffers: Republicans-11, Democrats-0
    Administration: Republicans-5, Democrats-0

Final Score: Republicans-34, Democrats-3 (or if you want to use T6's source, 20-3)

I have no doubt that there are others (on both sides), but it should give you some idea of the distribution along party lines.

The President, the Speaker of the House, the House Majority Leader (and four of his staff), the Senate Minority leader, doyennes of the New Right- Ralph Reed & Grover Norquist.
  11. Israel, the new costa del crime.
  12. With similar extradition rules Invited.

I think Abramoff took the plea, as he didn't want to committ suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head with a shotgun.

When you look at his history, and connections , tenuous and otherwise, you do begin to wonder about all sorts of things , and how much influence is being exerted , indirect or otherwise by another nation.
  13. Especially as , according to USA Today the Bush team are giving Abramoff tainted donations to charity?