Corruption on the Hill

Abramoff pleads guilty to fraud 5:07pm ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Lobbyist Jack Abramoff pleaded guilty to fraud charges on Tuesday and agreed to help U.S. prosecutors in a corruption probe that could involve several top Republican lawmakers, including former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

The BBC World servive has just carried an interview with an Expert who says that this will cause very high level problems for Republicans and only minor problems for Democrats so Bush will certainly get even more grief at high level.
john
Wonder why this never happens in UK for has Blur not run the most corrupt government since Lloyd George ?

Parliament it seems, for all it's sins does have some standards, although Bliar has presided (literaly) over a distinct decline.

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/071305/abramoff.html

Abramoff duo quits U.S.
By Josephine Hearn

Two former associates of Jack Abramoff, the embattled lobbyist, left the country Monday night en route to a new life in Israel. The relocation comes as a Justice Department taskforce presses forward with an investigation into potential criminal wrongdoing stemming from Abramoff’s business dealings.

Sam Hook and his wife Shana Tesler both worked with Abramoff at the law firm, Greenberg Traurig. Hook served as the registered agent for Grassroots Interactive, a lobbying venture tied to Abramoff that has reportedly been subpoenaed by the Justice Department taskforce.

Tesler, a lawyer, worked with Abramoff at Greenberg Traurig and then followed him to the lobbying firm, Cassidy & Associates, after he was ousted from Greenberg following news reports of his questionable dealings with Indian gaming tribes.

Abramoff and public affairs consultant Michael Scanlon are the target of the Justice Department probe and two Senate investigations into allegations that they bilked tribes out of more than $60 million. A federal grand jury has been convened to consider possible criminal charges in the matter.

Like Abramoff, Hook and Tesler are both Orthodox Jews. They have been planning for some time to move their family to Israel, said their attorney Alyza Lewin at Lewin & Lewin.

“Pursuant to longstanding plans that predate any investigation, Shana Tesler and Sam Hook have relocated to Israel…One thing had nothing to do with the other,” Lewin said.
hahahahaaahahaaha.

So I presume they'll make themselves readily available for questioning?

Isn't there an agreement in the extraditon treaty between the US and Israel that anyone found guilty serves their time in an Israeli chokey?

Not sure if the treaty has been updated since 1998

http://www.jewishsf.com/bk980227/ushelp.htm

jonwilly said:
Abramoff pleads guilty to fraud 5:07pm ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Lobbyist Jack Abramoff pleaded guilty to fraud charges on Tuesday and agreed to help U.S. prosecutors in a corruption probe that could involve several top Republican lawmakers, including former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

The BBC World servive has just carried an interview with an Expert who says that this will cause very high level problems for Republicans and only minor problems for Democrats so Bush will certainly get even more grief at high level.
john
Wonder why this never happens in UK for has Blur not run the most corrupt government since Lloyd George ?
Of course it is only trouble for republicans, democrates are as pure as the wind driven snow :roll:

This is gong to touch both parties equally, but more then likely no one in a leadership position :wink:

I think Abramoff is a prime candidate for having a fatal heart attack/midnight car crash/stroke/drowning accident/bizarre DIY tragedy very shortly.

Because I don't think for a second , this is just about bribing politicians, especially looking at some of the politicians accused and the responsibilities they have.

Don't go for a walk in the woods, or get into the bath with a tube of superglue will you Mr. Abramoff.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to go back to the days when Presidents just got blown by interns.

Well T6 if thats a fair discusion then 'Wheel the guilty barsteward in Sgt Major.'

PTP was that Blown or Blown up ? I still don't beleive one guy got shot by a lone gunman, Never Have.

john

Whatever ctauch and T6 say about this being a truly bi-partisan scandal, things like this always hit the ruling party hardest.

Moreover, wasn't it 1994 when the perception that 'all Congressmen are corrupt' caused an awful lot of seats to change hands - benefiting the non-ruling party, the Republicans?

sm.

smithie said:
Moreover, wasn't it 1994 when the perception that 'all Congressmen are corrupt' caused an awful lot of seats to change hands - benefiting the non-ruling party, the Republicans?

sm.
In much the same way that the Shining Path swept to victory in '97, vowing to do away with the sleaze that had stained the Tory government................... funny how these things are cyclic isn't it?

smithie said:
Whatever ctauch and T6 say about this being a truly bi-partisan scandal, things like this always hit the ruling party hardest.
Here are the scores on the doors so far regarding legislators, political activists and administration officials that are known to have had potentially dodgy dealings with Abramoff (the former national leader of the College Republicans):

http://www.thinkprogress.org/abramoff

Congress: Republicans-18, Democrats-3
Activists and staffers: Republicans-11, Democrats-0
Administration: Republicans-5, Democrats-0

Final Score: Republicans-34, Democrats-3 (or if you want to use T6's source, 20-3)

I have no doubt that there are others (on both sides), but it should give you some idea of the distribution along party lines.

Ctauch said:
This is gong to touch both parties equally, but more then likely no one in a leadership position
:lol:

The President, the Speaker of the House, the House Majority Leader (and four of his staff), the Senate Minority leader, doyennes of the New Right- Ralph Reed & Grover Norquist.

PartTimePongo said:
http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/071305/abramoff.html

Two former associates of Jack Abramoff, the embattled lobbyist, left the country Monday night en route to a new life in Israel.
Israel, the new costa del crime.

With similar extradition rules Invited.

I think Abramoff took the plea, as he didn't want to committ suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head with a shotgun.

When you look at his history, and connections , tenuous and otherwise, you do begin to wonder about all sorts of things , and how much influence is being exerted , indirect or otherwise by another nation.

This is gong to touch both parties equally, but more then likely no one in a leadership position
Especially as , according to USA Today the Bush team are giving Abramoff tainted donations to charity?

President Bush joined several lawmakers, including House Speaker Dennis Hastert and former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, in announcing plans to donate Abramoff's campaign contributions to charity. Bush's re-election campaign is giving up $6,000 in campaign contributions connected to Abramoff.

PartTimePongo said:
Especially as , according to USA Today the Bush team are giving Abramoff tainted donations to charity?

President Bush joined several lawmakers, including House Speaker Dennis Hastert and former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, in announcing plans to donate Abramoff's campaign contributions to charity. Bush's re-election campaign is giving up $6,000 in campaign contributions connected to Abramoff.
Interesting, since as a "Pioneer" contributor, Abramoff would have been responsible for bringing in at least $100,000 from various places. 6 grand just about covers the personal donation he and his wife made.

"When one of my closest and dearest friends, Jack Abramoff, your most able representative in Washington, D.C., invited me to the islands, I wanted to see firsthand the free-market success and the progress and reform you have made,"
-Tom DeLay

http://www.slate.com/id/2116389/

Sometimes, you can find little jewels on the Internet...

Puff piece on Abramoff which makes interesting reading in parts

http://www.bizforward.com/wdc/issues/2002-11/government/abramoff/

Along with Barbour, former Republican Hill staffer and George W. Bush confidante Ed Gillespie, ex-Rep. Bill Paxon (R-NY), Tom Korologos of Timmons and Co., and one-time White House Chief of Staff Kenneth Duberstein, Abramoff is considered among the elite of GOP lobbyists. “He’s definitely in the top tier,” says Dan Cohen of Loeffler, Jonas & Tuggey, himself a former top House Republican staffer on Capitol Hill. “He’s a real power player, but he’s also one of the few guys on the right who has real credibility when he says he won’t work for just anybody.” It doesn’t hurt that he raises between $4 million and $6 million annually for Republicans, and makes sure his clients give millions more to the party and prominent conservative groups that help mold opinion within the GOP. He hires only Republicans, although Greenberg Traurig has plenty of Democrats on its payroll.
$6,000?

The crucial relationship with DeLay began well before 1994. The two were introduced by Rabbi Daniel Lapin, a South African-born Orthodox Jew who founded Toward Tradition, a group that defines itself as a “national coalition of Jews and Christians” and offers the Torah and “authentic” Jewish values to cure societal problems. Abramoff is a former chairman. “He’s a religious Christian, I’m a religious Jew. He’s very actively pro-Israel. I’m rabidly pro-Israel. We had a lot of mutual friends as well,” says Abramoff of DeLay.
Uh-huh. And how close to PNAC would that be?

“The DeLay thing is played up a lot in terms of our relationship. The fact is when I pitch a client, I never mention Tom DeLay. I never say I know Tom DeLay.” Abramoff says he’s just as close to other Republicans, like Reps. Roy Blunt (MO), Christopher Cox (CA), John Doolittle (CA), Phil Crane (IL) and Dana Rohrabacher (CA).
http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsA...01_SIB475403_RTRUKOT_0_TEXT0.xml&related=true

McClellan said Abramoff attended three Hannukah receptions at the White House over the past several years.

"The president does not know him and does not recall meeting him. It is possible that he could have met him at a holiday reception or some other widely attended event," he said.
Ok , and then...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=733460

The records from Abramoff's firm, obtained by The Associated Press from the Marianas under an open records request, chronicle Abramoff's careful cultivation of relations with Bush's political team as far back as 1997.

In that year, Abramoff charged the Marianas for getting then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush to write a letter expressing support for the Pacific territory's school choice proposal, his billing records show.
You couldn't bend Silly string any more than this. Doesn't know him? Possible. Doesn't know of him? Impossible.

Sounds vaguely familiar to the cries that Rove was guilty of outting Plame, or Bush was a deserter...Anything that sounds like it could "bring down the shaved chimp" is good enough to hoist on your shoulders and carry around.

What happened to the NSA spy scandal???? Oh right that to didn't stick and is old news. Sounds to me like a game of throw allegation after allegation and just maybe one will stick...and still none have yet.

ctauch said:
Sounds vaguely familiar to the cries that Rove was guilty of outting Plame, or Bush was a deserter...Anything that sounds like it could "bring down the shaved chimp" is good enough to hoist on your shoulders and carry around.

What happened to the NSA spy scandal???? Oh right that to didn't stick and is old news. Sounds to me like a game of throw allegation after allegation and just maybe one will stick...and still none have yet.
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Congress reconvene on the 18th and today is, let's see, the 5th? www.senate.gov
(And, to be honest, Congress is going to be looking to divert attention away from the Abramoff scandal for obvious reasons. Couple this with the fact that your chap seems to be disregarding them on the spy and torture issues and The White House may be in real trouble on The Hill. There is nothing that Senators enjoy less than being ignored. The usual House attack dogs that the Administration usually relies on are going to have to wind their necks in, the last thing they need in an election year.)

2. It now appears that the NSA may not have even waited for the nod from Monkey Boy.

3. The FISC judges are still p1ssed off and want answers.

4. Oh and it may be that convictions already secured may now be unsafe.

I think pinning your hopes to the fact that the story has been booted off the front page because yet other scandal has surfaced, is priceless. This is going to go on for months.

Who's clutching at straws?

P.S. Rove is still subject to a federal Grand Jury investigation.

Political highlights of 2006:

1. Trial of Scooter Libby
2. Trial of Tom DeLay
3. Jack Abramoff singing like a canary to minimize his sentence of up to 30 years
4. The expectation of indictments to be handed down as a result of 3.)
5. Senate Judiciary Committee hearings into the NSA scandal
6. Sentencing of Randy Cunningham- 27Feb06

Nice guy, Abramoff. His old clients include the South African government (in the 1980s), the Pakistanis, and Slobodan Milosevic.

Latest Threads