Corruption and political placement

So, the government pick someone to carry out their hatchet job on police working conditions and pave the way for privatisation, who happens to be a lawyer for the company that advises the preferred private contractor for police privatisation......

BBC News - Theresa May denies conflict of interest in Lincolnshire Police deal

So he advises that huge parts of the police should be privatised and happens to be a lawyer for the preferred private company.... funny that

then he gets gets the top job at HM Inspector of Constabulary...

BBC News - Tom Winsor picked as preferred candidate for police job

a bit like the chap the Home Sec puts in charge of a review into public pensions....BBC News - Public sector pensions report explained

gets given the top job at the private company set to run the new pensions....

FFS, is this some corrupt banana republic?!

So Teresa May says "If you write these reports the way I want you to, you'll be rewarded nicely"

Fkin sickening

I've become more and more disappointed with Mrs May over the past few months. I would say its time for her to go, but lets be honest, whoever replaces her is hardly going to be much better/straighter.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm getting summer fruits with Olympic overtones, just a hint of PPF and a strong finish of Private Eye on the back palate. Best served chilled I feel?

ehwhat

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
FFS, is this some corrupt banana republic?!
I had to change my response as this isn't the NAAFI. Corruption in government, preferential treatment of cronies, and an inability to find, much less own, a moral compass has been and continues to be commonplace. We tolerate it and they do it. The party out of power raises Cain, until they get in and then does the same in slightly different ways.

May et al are no different than any other of their ilk. The best one can hope for is that their beaks are short and somewhat blunt when they wet them.

I'm getting summer fruits with Olympic overtones, just a hint of PPF and a strong finish of Private Eye on the back palate. Best served chilled I feel?
The olympics are a short term distraction. This govt is raping what they can out of the public services and lining the pockets of their mates before it all falls apart and the coalition collapses or theyre voted out.

Corruption? Just how did the husband of the deputy Labour party leader win a seat reserved for an all women short list?

They're all at it.

Well that's my faith in politicians dented.

They're all at it.
Exactly. The trouble is, they've bet quite intelligently on the British electorate's preference for screaming, "Your lot are worse!!!" in each other's faces over binning the lot of them and demanding better.

Politicians are self-serving and mendacious because voters let them be. If they were half-way competent, it would at least be something.

Corruption? Just how did the husband of the deputy Labour party leader win a seat reserved for an all women short list?

They're all at it.
Indeed they are. See the report submitted to the Prime Minister by 'Transparency International UK' relating to the extent of corruption in the United Kingdom and the response to it by the Prime Minister.

Note too, the recent case of Jonathon Djanogly whose personal interest in the Insurance Industry ensured that the legal aid reforms he steered through Parliament would result in a reduced insurance liability in compensation payments which arose through clinical negligence. Note his reaction when the reality of his proposals were pointed out to him.

Not only corrupt, but corrupt with a sneering contempt for the lives or ordinary people!

Indeed they are. See the report submitted to the Prime Minister by 'Transparency International UK' relating to the extent of corruption in the United Kingdom and the response to it by the Prime Minister.

Note too, the recent case of Jonathon Djanogly whose personal interest in the Insurance Industry ensured that the legal aid reforms he steered through Parliament would result in a reduced insurance liability in compensation payments which arose through clinical negligence. Note his reaction when the reality of his proposals were pointed out to him.

Not only corrupt, but corrupt with a sneering contempt for the lives or ordinary people!
**** me sideways, they really are rubbing our noses in it too.

They're all at it.
We are as corrupt as any Third World country - we are just better at covering it - or at least we used to be. I sometimes think the country where it is at least open and above board may be better off than we are - they don't have to waste huge sums of money trying to hide it.

Don't forget his expenses claims, £13,962 for cleaning and £12,951 for gardening at his second home and £5000 for new gates on his main property. The guy is a crook!

They're all at it.
Well he won it for a number of reasons!

First of all, Jack Dromey or Mr Harmon as he is known by some is a long standing trade unionist of many years and was a deputy general secretary of his union, the Transport and General Workers Union.

Like many trade unionists, he also had a role in the Labour Party both as an individual member and as a trade union delegate to the Labour Party over the course of many years. His rise to seniority in his union would have meant that he was in regular contact with leading officials of the Labour Party as a part of his job.

If you google Jack Dromey and look up the wikipedia page about him, you will see that in fact, he sought several seats for Parliament starting in 1997 but it took him until 2010 to actually get selected and elected to Parliament.

Labour Party electoral candidates do actually have to go through a process to be elegible for selection for a seat, whether it's a safe or an unsafe seat both for Council elections and Parliamentary elections. There is also significant participation by local party members in selecting who's going to be their representative and this is only put to one side in certain circumstances. Reasons for that can be an inadequate membership to ensure a fair selection, too short a period, say prior to a by-election for the machinery to select through the usual channels or because there are apparent problems in the local constituency party that may force the region to take over.

The Labour Party like any political organisation is a pretty broad church and when an election or a by-election is in the offing, there will be all sorts of lobbying by different people looking to get their candidate brought to the attention of those who will be actually voting in the selection process. That doesn't preclude senior figures trying to do the same.

Jack Dromey's wife Harriot Harmon may well have lobbied for her husband to get selected into a seat where he could get elected to Parliament. If she did, I think it speaks volumes that he first went for it in 1997 and yet, he didn't actually get there until 2010. That's quite a wait for somebody who was a high ranking trade union official and the husband of a major player in the Labour Party generally and the Labour Party Parliamentary Party especially.

**** me, your coin took how long to drop?

Corruption is what it's all about, our system that is.

Did no one else spot the slight conflict of interests as Maggie Thatcher dismantled the coal industry whilst married to the head of BP?

And the all woman short list for the seat?
That can change for a number of reasons. Firstly, it wasn't an all woman short list across the board. It was in 50% of safe seats and it was intended to increase women representation in the Parliamentary Labour Party. Labour incidentally was the only party to use this mechanism at all.

There are a number of reasons why some constituencies are chosen to select women only shortlist and others are not. It can also be altered on a constituency by constituency basis to meet the changing circumstances that happen around election processes and the needs both of the local and the national party.

Like everything else, it's not set in concrete because that could have the effect of making the whole thing unworkable. Where changes are made, it's either because the local constituency party has put forward a good case for not including them in the all woman shortlist group and the national executive agreed with them or the national executive because of circumstances in front of them have made a decision to change it.

Whatever it was that happened, Harmon may well have lobbied to get Dromey onto the shortlist once it was changed but he still has to actually get selected by the local party to contest the seat.

Dromey as a very senior trade union official and a very experienced player in the Labour movement would have been a very hard hitter in the selection process and would no doubt have impressed the local party. Whether Harman had any influence over those individuals is extremely doubtfull. The chances are none of them would have ever met her. I think Dromey would have had more than enough experience, knowledge and gravitas to project himself as the best candidate and win the day on his own without any help from his missus.