Corrupt, untrained, underpaid, illiterate ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Dec 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    December 6, 2009
    Corrupt, untrained, underpaid, illiterate: the forces waiting to take over
    ?
    The Afghan police chief sat shivering at his desk, his hands in the pockets of his wool coat, as he tried to answer questions about his men. Police station three is in one of central Kabul’s better districts but it had had no electricity for days. It was colder inside than out.

Lieutenant-Colonel Amanullah, the acting chief, was having a tough time satisfying his American “mentors”, young soldiers from Camp Phoenix. They were, in fact, being quite gentle, but the facts about his station kept eluding him.

How many of his men had been trained, asked Staff Sergeant Jimmie Stokely, 30. “Ninety per cent studied, but I don’t know how many passed,” replied Amanullah, sinking a bit in his chair.

He answered a question about staffing by saying he had 105 men on active duty. His personnel manager interjected. The station had “16 officers, 44 sergeants, and 98 soldiers”. Were they all on duty? That was unclear. Amanullah slumped further down
    More
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/Afghanistan/article6945912.ece

2. Corrupt, untrained,overpaid, illiterate,

I thought the thread was about the PM, till I reread the underpaid part,

Good article btw,

3. Yep, that's Afghan for you, ......... allways has been, allways will be.
    Sort that one out then Superman. 8)

4. "Corrupt, untrained, underpaid, illiterate: the forces waiting to take over"........and a picture of David Cameron underneath this headline - hmmm

5. “To be a policeman, it is necessary to be healthy and not addicted to drugs,” he said. “They don’t need to read and write.”

Sounds like the Met Police recruiting standards!!!

6. Yep! That is unfortunate. Some sub-editor, needs a “talking to” !!

7. Yeeees. I think the phrase to apply to the post-NATO era AFG is, "SELF-INTEREST".

In my view, once the NATO forces, OMLTs, advisors etc depart in 2011 the principles of self-preservation will assert themselves and tribalism will, once more, rule the day. Anyone with a weapon and training will migrate towards their local tribal leader and the battles for regional supremacy will start.

Kabul may well hold sway, tenuously, in it's immediate environs, but closer to the Pakistani border and the narco-lucrative areas, the biggest gang/most cut-throat tactics will decide who governs and what the Law is.

We live in interesting times.

8. So, these soldiers were commuting in from Camp Phoenix...to a police station inside Kabul, the safest part of Afghanistan? Couldn't they tear themselves away from the upstairs Green Bean and the Subway in the evenings? Where's the contracted police mentor? If you live with the Afghans, you work side-by-side with the Afghans, you'll know how many are on duty, and so will the ANP commander. Even if the ANP go home at night, that doesn't mean the mentors should. If these mentors are commuting and have to ask embarrassing questions in the safest part of the theatre, someone's screwing up at some level and they're failing to implement current ISAF guidelines.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but we've all encountered situations where ANSF mentors weren't co-habiting and failing in their primary task, which is to set the example 24/7. Sometimes it was higher-ups fault, sometimes it'd be the unwillingness of the mentors to give up creature comforts and their previous routine.

As for the article mentioning that Afghans were acting like little kids...every Afghan is half 7-year-old and half 70-year-old. One moment they'll be discussing the meaning of life, and the next they'll randomly shoot their AK in the air with a look of absolute joy on their face. That split personality is a fairly normal survival mechanism for a patriarchal country traumatised by conflict. It comes down to leadership how often we see the 70-year-old instead of the 7-year-old. If we're commuting to work, we can't lead them or teach them how to lead.

9. I don't know underpaid, I'm guessing not, but Bush surely qualifies on all the other three counts.