corrupt file finder?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Grumblegrunt, May 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

is there a utility to check the integrity of a file anywhere. I think I have a bad set of files on one laptop but don't want to overwrite good with bad when I try and consolodate several machines.

currently searching the topic but so far no answers.

2. msr

msr LE

3. Open the "Computer" window
    Right-click on the drive in question
    Select the "Tools" tab
    In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

4. Grumblegrunt

it'll be personal files.

I use several machines depending on what I am doing so tend to cross deck files between them every few weeks then back up to the NAS but don't want to back up bad files.

5. Grumblegrunt

I didn't think that checked the contents just the shell? I know I'm probably going to end up opening lots of files but wondered if there was a prog I could use. similar to the video and music file checkers.

6. msr

msr LE

How have they been corrupted? It's very rare these days....

7. chkdsk will look at all files, best to see if there are anymore, its pretty simple it will fix em and you can carry straight on

8. msr

msr LE

Chkdsk does not look at file level integrity, it just looks at the NTFS structure. You can have a zip file which will not open, but chkdsk won't tell you that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grumblegrunt

not sure what got them but I did have a bad ram dimm in the laptop in question so I could have had copy errors. daftly I was trying to get everything sorted to cut down on duplicates within the directories so I could have a master backup. the idea is to make a good backup then backdown to the machines I use.

most copy utilites only tell me if the file is newer or a different size.

10. Why not just back up your back up first. Note the date of your suspect backups so you can see what's left of them after your next one or two backups, and check if they're corrupted when they are reduced to a number to make the job quick 'n easy.

11. msr

msr LE

Unlikely... how do you know you have corrupt files? Or do you just think you might?

12. Grumblegrunt

teracopy came up with a load of errors when moving a few folders about, I was bouncing files in and out of external drives when upgrading laptop drives and have had the odd copy error come up and scrambled picture or cannot open pdf file sort of thing

13. Grumblegrunt

also some older cd backup discs have faded when I tried to copy the contents when I had more drive space.

14. msr

msr LE

Might I suggest a NAS box to save bouncing files around?

15. Grumblegrunt

that's what I'm sorting out, just setting up a third box.