Corrie McKeague

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So which three of the GSM's do you have? Take your pick from:

The Naval General Service Medal 1915 - 1962
The General Service Medal 1918 - 1962 (18 different clasps available)
The Indian General Service Medal 1936 - 1939 (2 clasps available)
The British North Borneo Company General Service Medal 1937 - 1941(no clasps)
The Sudan Defence Force General Service Medal 1933 (no clasps)
The Indian General Service Medal 1939 - 1945
The General Service Medal 1962 - 2007 (13+ clasps available).

To be honest I have seen quite a few people with both the 1918 and 1962 GSM, but three would be very interesting to see.
On a slight tangent my father's medals included a GSM 1918-62 with two clasps. Palestine (1938-39 )and Malaya (1949-50 ) with an MBE and a bunch of WW2 Medals and Stars to cover the period in between.

To be honest I have seen quite a few people with both the 1918 and 1962 GSM, but three would be very interesting to see.
You also missed GSM 08.
What happens when Brenda karks it? Do they issue a new medal with Charlie’s head? What if you already have the GSM and do a new tour, do you get another one with Charlie??

I know that there were 3 variants on the 1918 GSM. Was a new medal be issued each time if qualifying under George V, VI and EIIR? Nothing that’s 44 years of service and unlikely!
I assume you mean "noting" rather than "nothing". Your maths, by the way, is wrong. It would have been possible to get clasps from North Kurdistan in 1932, under KGV, and Malaya under QEII (which was ongoing when she ascended to the throne in 1952) which is only twenty years, and quite possible. Also, there was the Palestine clasp, the first eight months of which was during the reign of Edward VIII, and various clasps available under KGVI, so that's four monarchs, not three.

Last edited:
I assume you mean "noting" rather than "nothing". Your maths, by the way, is wrong. It would have been possible to get clasps from North Kurdistan in 1932, under KGV, and Malaya under QEII (which was ongoing when she ascended to the throne in 1952) which is only twenty years, and quite possible. Also, there was the Palestine clasp, the first eight months of which was during the reign of Edward VIII, and various clasps available under KGVI, so that's four monarchs, not three.
Thank you I did mean noting.

And my maths was fine, From 1918 to 1962 is 44 years. There were 3 different monarch during the issuing of the medal; it wasnt issued for Edward VIII.

I take you point though that time of service wouldn’t need to be 44 yrs, but in 33 yrs would be 3 monarchs over 2 medals (18 & 62), the question stands, what’s the medal protocol as we’ll find ourselves in this situation in the next 10 yrs, ie, does a new medal get issued if you already have it with the previous monarch??

for GSM 18:

George V - 1932 N Kurdistan
George VI - a range of clasps from 1936-52
Elizabeth II - Malay, Singapore,Canal Zone

For GSM 62:
Elizabeth II - Cyprus, 1963/64 plus a range of other clasps.

For GSM 08:
Elizabeth II - a range of small wars

Our old Regi Secretary was an ex Gunner, he had 2 GSMs and about 9 bars in total.

Er... I have an 'Air Ops Iraq' GSM with clasp. Am I required to retrieve it from my sock drawer and post a picture of it?

Our old Regi Secretary was an ex Gunner, he had 2 GSMs and about 9 bars in total.
I assume he had GSM 18 and 62 which is a different medal and same as having GSM 62 and 08. My question is whether you are awarded a further medal if you deploy again when you have the GSM after the monarch has changed.
Eg GSM 08 with EIIR and then GSM 08 with King Charles III. Presumably not as same protocol would then apply to any other in service campaign medals that had already been awarded.

I assume he had GSM 18 and 62 which is a different medal and same as having GSM 62 and 08. My question is whether you are awarded a further medal if you deploy again when you have the GSM after the monarch has changed.
You are correct - I'd guess that, say you deployed on TELIC 1 under EIIR who then [in an alternative reality] snuffs it - you then go out on TELIC 9 under CIIIR [who may or may not chose to rule as GVIIR, but that's another thread]. It is still the same operation and the UK rule has always been 1 Op 1 medal - apart from Korea where the UN and UK medals are worn.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So are we arguing over which medals the unfortunate Airman is/was entitled to? Because I don't think he's going to get any more.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally, I think he is deceased airman...
Pining for the Fjords!!

I am sure that in a year or two, a building will be worked on, or contractors will move something and he will be found, or some one will cough when the conscience tears at them
but he could simply have left and joined the R.L.C under a false name ?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Pining for the Fjords!!

I am sure that in a year or two, a building will be worked on, or contractors will move something and he will be found, or some one will cough when the conscience tears at them
but he could simply have left and joined the R.L.C under a false name ?
Corrie of Arabia?