Correct format for a letter of introduction?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by jon1467, Aug 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never had to write one before and am lacking in the necessary knowledge, could arrse enlighten me please?
  2. Done a few in my time Jon, the main points are:

Reference to the posting (usually on the posting order).
    Explain a bit about yourself and your military background.
    Include any hobbies or interests that may be of benefit to the receiving unit.
    Include details of your family and any employment your spouse hopes to undertake.
    Always finish by saying how much you are looking forward to serving at that unit (even if you are dreading it), remember you dont get a second chance to make a first impression!

Be brief and dont waffle on, 3 paragraphs is usually enough to get your point across.

Anyone worth their salt will reply, in writing, to you, it really annoys me when people cant be arrsed to put the effort back into you.

Hope this helps.
  3. If you look on either armynet or the army website and look for electronic defence writing, it will give you the correct fomat if boringly minute detail
  4. Dont forget to address it to the position, not the person

i.e The Commanding Officer, not Lt Col .........

and find out if its a he or she. A little research pays dividends
  5. Do a search on here, there are loads of threads for this.
  6. Write it on decent paper, handwritten in ink - it makes all the difference.
  7. Any up to date links for this, guys?
  8. Nick a bog door and send it on that, first impressions an all that ;-)
  9. Is it permissable to hand write the first line, ie: 'Dear Colonel Blimp' and type the rest?
  10. I think someone mentioned one of these letters a while ago. The LCpl signed off with 'any dramas, text me on .......'.

I don't think that's exactly how the JSP lays it down though.
  11. Sorry to be a bore..... Are you joining the unit as an officer, a WO, a SNCO or a JNCO? I'm assuming the latter as the other groups should (flaming well ought to) know the form.

If the latter,

I have the honour to report that, by authority of <Insert the posting order date and freference) I am posted to your unit in the appointment of <Insert the deathless post you will be gracing the unit with>
    I have previously served with <insert carefully selected plum posts and units>
    I have been in contact with <Insert your immediate boss> and with the Garrison housing authorities (This reassures your Guvnor that you are not an admin 'mare).
    As an Army/Combined services/national/International ski/rugby/ basketball player I am delighted to have been posted to your unit where I hope to (select as you will)............
    I am greatly looking forward to my posting to XXX and to serving under your command.

Oh Gawd, I'm bored.

And finally,

I have the honour to be,

Your obedient Servant,

Name and rank.

I think I'll go back to sleep now.
  12. Thank you very much, good sir. I was more after the spacings and fonts side of things to be honest. No access to DII at the moment.
  13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I thought we'd binned this concept a while ago. Thrusters may disagree of course
  14. HHH

HHH LE

You can get the JSP on Defence Writing on Armynet if you have an account.