Corps to consider if no degree is held?

Hello all, first post but I’ve been a non registered reader for a quite a while. I’m currently undergoing the application process for standard officer, with AOSB’s to come
I’m 21, Finished school with decent A-Levels, but decided to travel and get some decent life experience and good work in before applying.
I obviously have my Corps preferences in mind but seeing as I didn’t get a degree would there be any particular roles/Corps that are favourable of a degree and that I perhaps shouldn’t place my hopes on and express my interest in at the selection board?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I obviously have my Corps preferences in mind but seeing as I didn’t get a degree would there be any particular roles/Corps that are favourable of a degree and that I perhaps shouldn’t place my hopes on and express my interest in at the selection board?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Instead of worrying about a Degree / or lack of - Focus on your strengths ( Identify your weaknesses ) and work out what you can bring to the table.

That should also steer you towards what might be the best road to travel in terms of Role / Corp

A lack of a degree is no longer the barrier it used to be - there are so many Mickey Mouse degrees out there now, that you can no longer just differentiate between Graduate/Non-Graduate.

Also, the Army is keen to get Non-Grads in and allow them to get degrees while serving. We would rather have capable and committed Non-Grads, than a wet and useless Grad.

Unless I'm woefully out of date, I think the only Cap Badge (other than Professionally Qualified Tarts and Vicars) that insist on having a (Engineering) Degree is the REME. All others don't require you to have one.

I think some of the technical Corps have some GCSE requirements, but they are very low - if you couldn't pass GCSE Maths, you probably shouldn't join a technical Corps anyway.

I say go ahead and do it - if my kids want to join up, I'd encourage them to chin Uni off and join, to get a degree whilst serving - Uni is no longer the thing it used to be back in my day.

Issi

LE
One of my Capts had a third in Agricultural Studies, so I wouldn’t worry too much about not having a degree.

I dont think it matters what the degree is in for the Army? having one shows you can study , learn and retain that said it sounds like your A levels may be sufficient along with the right attitude. (I`ve never been an officer)

oppoStu

War Hero
You can attend RMAS from A levels...

...and you can have a preference on corps but ultimately you choose out of the options you're given in your final stages at RMAS. The Corps you choose now is not concrete and is practically irrelevant.

Just apply, do your best, see what options you get given and have a wonder at that point based on what you want long term.

Truxx

LE
When I was in command my Adjutant did not have a qualification to his name. He had joined as a soldier (medic actually) and was of sufficient a calibre to be persuaded to do AOSB (RCB as was). He did a stint of edumacation at Beaconsfield and got a short service commission. Very quickly it became clear that he had something about him, and when he applied to convert to Reg C, despite no A levels, he romped it.

He went on to attend Staff College (Masters earning)

He did that not because he had a first in botany, but because he was a totally sound guy with more leadership qualities than most.

Last edited:
The only Regiments/Corps you can't join as a non grad is the AGC ETS.

REME usually require a Technical Degree but do have a few RSB spots for non graduates who then get put through an in service degree

Lt_Pest

Clanker
(Corps of) Infantry. Focus on Para or Spec Inf or whatever units are actually out the door doing something these days. As a non grad you’ll likely get more time at command, so a subsequent platoon command, training regiment etc.

Have a cracking few years, and use the **** times in barracks to do your in service degree. Choose something interesting like military history or something that’ll be useful when you leave. After 3-5 when you’ve had enough, the ‘network’ will get you a job at Barclays and you can reflect on your next steps whilst being paid a decent wage.

Spoken as a 10 year Corps officer turned civvy.

Latest Threads