Corps Recruitment (ORs)

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by STITCH, Feb 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 8O I heard a bizarre thing the other day (Source: A1), apparently the 'powers that be' for this Corps would rather recruit from 'Private' as opposed to 'State' schools.

And the benefits are....?

If you are a DE (Not to worry), Transferee (Heaven forbid) or even a E2 (Where G1 & G4 are not dirty words), please reply.

2. So at a time when the Army s trying to expand recruitment, retain people and then have it's Int Corps dramatically expand in the next few years, it will in this case limit the recruitment base by seemingly excluding people from state schools? Great strategy, I don't think.

Absolute shoite. It's stupid rumours like that that put off decent candidates. I've seen how the Corps recruits - don't believe a word of it, and that applies to potential recruits who may be considering applying. It's the quality and ability of the individual that counts. This kind of thing beggars belief - it's as bad as when potential officers were told they couldn't go for a commission because some plank said they either didn't have a language degree and/or didn't go to Oxbridge.

Tell your source to poke off. They'll only make sensible people rant even more.

3. utter bollocks

i joined up at 16, no quals worth mentioning.

am now retrading to the int corps. they are interested in what you can do and what you are capable of doing.

everyone sits the same tests. if you score above the required standard you get your chance same as everybody else.

how/why/where you came to sit those tests didn't seem to make any difference at all to those managing the process.

if your good enough they'll have you. if you aren't they won't.

-just waiting for my own results-

4. Cobblers. Some time back I used to do OR selection interviews for the Corps and I honestly don't recall asking a single candidate what kind of school they went to: if they had the requisite qualifications etc, it made no difference.

5. That's soldier selection interviews....

6. Is it?

7. The description of soldiers as 'other ranks' has always been a deliberately demeaning one, designed to denigrate as incidental and subservient rather than compliment; I object to it as much now as I did when I was a Private soldier.

8. Miaow. Conversely, Pishbreath, I'm rather hurt that my commissioned brethren are consistently deprecated by the use of the word 'Soldier' to describe everyone in the Army apart from them! Are they suggesting we Officers are not soldiers?

9. You failed.

10. WB times have indeed changed in the short while since your "retirement".

As a thick LE orofice, in an MI company of predominantly LE officers, the soldiers were usually known as the graduates.
    ( there may well be some MI companies where the soldiers can muster more graduates than some Bn or Regiment's officer's messes. )

Even in moments of extreme indiscretion, I have heard lecherous Bde and Div staff officers call Corps soldiers many things*, most of which could be regarded as complimentary, but never " other ranks"

Maybe this could be the start of an "OR" revival??

:wink: *probably the best MI Section in the universe....

11. Frequently, pizzle. The term 'soldier' is normally only accorded to those in the higher echelons who have proved their worth and have earned respect for it. The dross are never so named. That isn't to say that the vast majority of all ranks are any such thing; they aren't. However, the belittling intent of the label is, in my opinion, arrogant and insulting. It should have been discarded many years ago.

12. :wink: Guys, 'Chill Out', having read some of the replies, it seems I have upset a few people. I do not believe everything I hear or see! Subsequently my source is now 'E5'!

As for 'Quick-Morser' ???

13. Following on from subsonic-we had an analysis cell where the worst qualified out of 6 NCOs had "only" completed 3/4 of his degree studies. The rest were graduates 1 uni and the rest OU. Our nongrad OC admitted to being intimidated by the quals we had. Personally we didn't think it made that much difference-each had ther own reasons for continuing education. I went to a public school and failed RCB-there are plenty of state educated DE officers. There were grads, non grads, thickos, runts and rambos in my own glorious Squad at Ashford and those that stayed the course have all done reasonably well. It is the person that is imprtant. [exits left carrying soapbox]

14. Hmm, I've never thought about it that way. I wouldn't normally use 'ORs' but did so in this case because the original poster did. Anyway, no offence was meant on my part.

However, I don't necessarily agree with you. Officers are also soldiers in the same way that Privates, Corporals and anyone else holding rank. I've always assumed that the phrase 'Other Ranks' was to distinguish non-commissioned personnel from soldiers with officers' rank. It may well be slightly dismissive but it is an archaic usage and attitudes have changed. Anyway, it doesn't really matter.

15. In my year as the Basic Training Officer at Ashford, I recall three graduates going through recruit training, although one of these also had a Masters and a couple of years of a PhD under his belt. It was unusual but certainly not 'rare'.