Corps Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by A_Knocker_Till_The_End, Apr 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am the only corps-man with a liking for CORPS nostalgia regarding poerty, pictures etc of days gone by :?: :?: :?: :?:

i love the two poems below by Rudyard Kipling, anymore for anymore :?: :?: :?: :?:

• Like Like x 1

2. No you are not , I too am partial to a bit of Kipling (not the cake and not the bleep stuff that no doubt eeeaaaw17 and dadoodaron will no doubt clutter the forum with unless Chinnys mum or some gay German finds them :lol: Yes I saw your other post!

Those are two of my favourites along with
    Cannot get through 22/23 Jan without watching a certain video either :oops:

6. There may be a 5 Sqn reunion in the offing later this year... or so the Jungle Drums say!

Can anyone confirm this :?:

7. Sorry mate i was 8 sqn just used to enjoy the p*** ups (still do, funny that)

8. really...................................................... i would never have guessed :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

9. No your not I have a WW1 officers stick and a WW1 trench whistle also a WW1 RE cap badge I am starting my own personal corp museum!!

i love it and always end up with something corps (or army) related for Birthdays and christmas!!

10. i to am a bit of a Corp collector Lighters,Cap badges, ties from units ive served with and many others including Rookes Drift prints from my time at the Fighting 5th.
    I still hold my own private showing of Zulu every year. Must say Mrs S-D is sick of watching it but hey she can always read a book.

11. Hmmm...the Zulus seem to be heavily outnumbered in this diorama. Maybe it is time that the revisionist historians went through Rorke's drift with a fine toothcomb or possibly there are diversity issues on display? Cancel the next item of vital equipment, we'll use the money to commission a report on institutional racism in the RE instead. :D :D :D 8)

12. No No NO we need the vital equipment. is this better :?:
    [​IMG]

13. do not know if anyone else has one of these but i have had mine for around 10 years now (1875 Corps FA Cup Final Shirt)
    [​IMG]

here is link to website wher you can get it from.

http://www.toffs.com/icat/royalengineers

its a quality shirt & has raised many a compliment over the years. :D :D :D :D

14. Alas Knocker, the believe that Kipling wrote the second poem seems to be a bit of an urban myth.

It is widely attributed to Cpl Claude Radley RCE who wrote this poem while serving with 18 Fd Coy RCE in 1942. Indeed you can find the following extract in

CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS OF THE CME:

Corporal C.A. Radley. Corporal Claude Albert Radley, who served with 18 Field Company Royal
    Canadian Engineers during the Second World War, is the author of the poem “Salute to the Engineers.” A framed copy of this poem, along with picture of Cpl Radley and some biographical notes is displayed in the CME Museum and salutes Cpl Radley for his valued contribution to the Engineer heritage. The poem appears in Chapter 3 of this book.

Sadly not Kipling, but a cracking poem by a Sapper.

15. i stand fully corrected my friend :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: 8O

but as you say it is a good poem regardless of its author :D :D :D :D :D