Corps Heroes

Bollocks to covid threads. Moved this comment to a sensible, clean space:

Since this is in the Int Corps forum, some Corps heroes of mine:

• Maj (later Brig, and later still, coworker at a risk control organisation which must not be named) David V***. Gave me a Regimental entry, but for getting the HQ Coy team lost on the Coy-wide orienteering event, not for laying out the Cpl of the Guard, who fully deserved it and more.
• WO2 Bob McCrindle. A true Leader of men, and a fine manager of the brutes, too. Sense of humour of a whole circus-full of custard-pie artistes.
• Roo. See above.
• Black Jake. Corps legend. Could roll up a fag in three seconds.
• SSgt Tiny Marshall. Wound up at Lt Col, cashed-in on redundancy at the right time and scooped a pile, the sod. Made the error of thinking I was commissioning material (I never was, as had been amply proven throughout my career).
• Capt Tommy Cardwell. Box of frogs, but inspiring. Very.
• Sgt Alec F*******r. Former National Serviceman in the RHF. Tried to enlist me into his scheme to rob the bank in Tidworth. Good plan, apart from the chicken-hearted potential recruits to it.
• Cpl (Later Maj, RAEC) Taff Shelby-James. Really did know whereof he spoke.
• SSgt Graeme Sc*****n. Fat twat who had done one step better at everything you had ever done; guarantee'd. But: heart of pure gold, who would drop everything to help and guide if you were perplexed.

Just a few of them. Additions welcome.

Capt (later Major) Bill W**d. Commisioned from WO. Outstanding bloke and great sense of humour - my OC in 92 Sy Sect in the 80's. Taught me a lot and and set a high standard of man management I've rarely seen elsewhere. Bollocked us all for driving too fast but held the speed record from HQ Western District to COD Donnington in the shortest time. :)

Roo Rencher - obviously.

WO2 John D**. Big bear of a man but a heart of gold. So laid back even the Hereford Hooligans calmed down when he was around.

SSgt Andy G***. Combat Int through and through, ex-tankie (transferee), ex-Brixmis and expert on all things Soviet. Nearly got sacked from his first civvie job after leaving for telling his boss not to worry or panic over a problem - "Nobody is shooting the hostages - don't worry".

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
John D. Yeah. Total and utter legend. I shall never be able to unsee the sight of him, one Corps Day, after his unexpected recall to the Colours, doing the 'climb around the 6' table GS' event outside the Fly, with his Ron Hills getting lower and lower and more and more unsalubrious parts of the D** anatomy coming under public scrutiny.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
On the lightside, Lt Col JW - a true professional and great company with it, especially when Det Sgt Major, South Det.

....and, of course, the astonishing BJ Bartlett.

On the lightside, Lt Col JW - a true professional and great company with it, especially when Det Sgt Major, South Det.

....and, of course, the astonishing BJ Bartlett.
Ah...BJ...

Using THEM's video editing suite at Hereford to copy... ahem... gentlemen's films back in the 80s... ;-)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ah...BJ...

Using THEM's video editing suite at Hereford to copy... ahem... gentlemen's films back in the 80s... ;-)
I think Sir will find that THEY had occasional access to BJ's video suite.

I knew three of these names -

Black Jake A - at Bradbury Lines for a short while. Met him subsequently on a 16 Para. Bde exercise. Good Arabist as I recall. I may have adjusted his para descent numbers to keep his pay in date.

Taff Shelby- James - again at Bradbury Lines. He was in 7 troop ( f/fall ) B Sqn. then went onto Training Wing.

BJ - lived close to him and his family on the Burmarsh Estate for a few years.

Possibly John W if it's the same gent that was on the DS team at SIW when I arrived at JSIW in '87

SSgt Andy G***. Combat Int through and through, ex-tankie (transferee), ex-Brixmis and expert on all things Soviet. Nearly got sacked from his first civvie job after leaving for telling his boss not to worry or panic over a problem - "Nobody is shooting the hostages - don't worry".
Quite often get funny looks at my place of work, which is an office staffed by terribly woke snowflake types who have never done anything other than university and then straight into the firm, with utterances of 'who cares, nobody is going to ******* die' and similar remarks.

Telling people to 'get a grip of their subordinates' doesn't seem to fly either.

How could I have failed to relate more on Capt Tommy Cardwell BEM? . He of the Red Pen, the Arborfield moat (+crocodiles) and the dogs in bike-baskets (perimeters too long to walk in under an hour). Commandeered a helicopter to come up to Colchester from Hounslow for a chat with the Det Comd on one occasion when he felt the traffic in London was too heavy for him. He was instrumental in the development of Kevlar* armour for military usage and the heavy blast-curtains in Whitehall government offices, as I recall. Spent all of one annual leave as a Group4 security guard to get the feel of the job at the sharp end (or the doughnut end, if you prefer) of industrial security. No tendered report got past him without being returned at least twice, heavily corrected ('bomb' would be replaced with 'infernal device') and CPL WB's signature block with his own. If the error in a report was sufficiently egregious, you would get the Green Pen, and life would become uncomfortable. Good man.
*Edit - might have been 'Makrolon'.

Last edited:

Shamus

Old-Salt
Bollocks to covid threads. Moved this comment to a sensible, clean space:

Since this is in the Int Corps forum, some Corps heroes of mine:

• Maj (later Brig, and later still, coworker at a risk control organisation which must not be named) David V***. Gave me a Regimental entry, but for getting the HQ Coy team lost on the Coy-wide orienteering event, not for laying out the Cpl of the Guard, who fully deserved it and more.
• WO2 Bob McCrindle. A true Leader of men, and a fine manager of the brutes, too. Sense of humour of a whole circus-full of custard-pie artistes.
• Roo. See above.
• Black Jake. Corps legend. Could roll up a fag in three seconds.
• SSgt Tiny Marshall. Wound up at Lt Col, cashed-in on redundancy at the right time and scooped a pile, the sod. Made the error of thinking I was commissioning material (I never was, as had been amply proven throughout my career).
• Capt Tommy Cardwell. Box of frogs, but inspiring. Very.
• Sgt Alec F*******r. Former National Serviceman in the RHF. Tried to enlist me into his scheme to rob the bank in Tidworth. Good plan, apart from the chicken-hearted potential recruits to it.
• Cpl (Later Maj, RAEC) Taff Shelby-James. Really did know whereof he spoke.
• SSgt Graeme Sc*****n. Fat twat who had done one step better at everything you had ever done; guarantee'd. But: heart of pure gold, who would drop everything to help and guide if you were perplexed.

Just a few of them. Additions welcome.
Black Jake - watched him stop to light a fag on a BFT one time - wasn't too pleased when I had a higher score than him shooting , amused me to see him on exercise load his starter, main meal and desert into one large mess tin and mix it all up, when I raised an eyebrow at him he said well it all ends up together and this saves time :)

Latest Threads