Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corps Deaths 2020

Just in case you didn't get the notice from ICA, here's the list so far, with a note from the Corps Obituarist:
++++​

Please find listed below, members of the Corps Family that have sadly passed away in recent months. Obituaries will appear in The Rose & The Laurel, and the Corps obituarist Tony Hetherington would be glad to hear from anyone with memories and anecdotes. His email address is windscale@msn.com .

Andrews, Leonard (‘Andy’)
Austin-Cooper, Richard
Barnes, John
Beacham, Ivan
Boyagis, John
Brierley, John
Briggs, Bill
Downs, Robert
Endacott, Frederick (‘Jack’)
Fehrenbach, Sean
Finch, Howard
Gibbons, Paul
Giles, Cecily
Gould, Julius
Haisman, Derek
Hammer, Jim
Huxford, Richard
Irvine, Fred
Jacobs, Alan
Johnstone, Alan
Lawson, William
Marsden, Mick
Meakin, Anthony
Millward, John
Mortlock, David
McKnight, James (‘Barrie’)
McLaughlin, Sidney
O’Conor, David
Oldfield, Jack
Owen, Philip
Page, Lewis
Parker, David
Pearce, Philip
Podger, Michael
Price, Samuel
Quille, Colin
Russell, Donald
Shaw, Eddie
Steers, Robin (‘Bob’)
Stewart, Ian
Storer, Jack
Sutherland, James (‘Jock’)
Waites, Catherine
Walker, Matt
Webb, James
Weston, Paul
Williams, Jeremy
Willmott, Ned
Woods, Tom
++++​

As usual nowadays, some old friends (and instructors, RSMs and fellow Ashford messmates) made the list. Always sad. A glass of cava to them.

An afternote; Ned Willmott wasn't a name I expected to see there; I didn't know he was in the Corps. He was a Sandhurst lecturer when I knew him (he's probably remembered by many of the former officers on this site) and he and I chivvied each other over the hills on a T&AVR selection course; we both made it to the end. One of the most genuine people I ever met; no pretensions or 'side' whatever - I remember thinking that at the time.

We occasionally used to meet up at the pub next door to the Royal Court Theatre in Sloane Square after an evening's beasting to commiserate on our bruises, and it was him who suggested that I try for the Intelligence Corps (who?) when I said that I wanted to go back to the regulars, rather than the RCT, who hadn't even taught me how to drive on the first time around. A lovely man.

An afternote; Ned Willmott wasn't a name I expected to see there; I didn't know he was in the Corps. He was a Sandhurst lecturer when I knew him (he's probably remembered by many of the former officers on this site) and he and I chivvied each other over the hills on a T&AVR selection course; we both made it to the end. One of the most genuine people I ever met; no pretensions or 'side' whatever - I remember thinking that at the time.

We occasionally used to meet up at the pub next door to the Royal Court Theatre in Sloane Square after an evening's beasting to commiserate on our bruises, and it was him who suggested that I try for the Intelligence Corps (who?) when I said that I wanted to go back to the regulars, rather than the RCT, who hadn't even taught me how to drive on the first time around. A lovely man.
Gosh he was early 60s. As with many I remember him at RMAS.

Not sure it is the guy but I had a Cpl Mortlock in my Int Det at HQ 4Armd Bde in 1987, more than likely the Dave Mortlock on the list above, if it is him he wasn’t that old, anyone know what he got up to in his career?

I am sorry to see that Sean Fehrenbach has passed away. I knew him from when I served in Cumbria ACF, our commandant was also Int Corps, Tom McMullen. Sean brought some common sense to our County HQ and was always a good bloke to talk to about our army days.

John Brierley is a name familiar to me, if it is the same chap - he was my sort of vintage, an Ax Linguist of my sort of era - checking via other means.

David O'Connor could be a Russian linguist I encountered at 13 Sigs in the Scribe shop. By that stage he was an RAEC late Entry major. He later became a Resettlement Officer at the Chatham and was very pleased to hear from the former Cpl Devex, especially as I'd just put up Acting Major at the time. Lovely chap and a very talented transcriber.

In the day, finishing a particular tour, I 'agreed' to be attached to you guys at Templar Bks. Two names, jump out at me from @Whiskybreath list. I'm not on the ICA circuit ( quite rightfully so ).

Alan Jacobs and I worked closely together. It was a small team. I was blessed in being in the same geographical territory post military career, so caught up with occasional coffees and social chat over a period. I'll miss him above many. RIP

James Webb, if I'm considering of the same gent, took over the department from another Col. JIm of laundry fame.

Besides the regular stuff, I was on DDT duty, when we found ourselves at Heathrow & Gatwick canvassing the in-coming passengers, fleet footing from Jordan, utterly tired, many in the same clothes they'ed 'escaped' from Kuwait to if they so wished, chat to the team.
Col. Jim was a calm, enigmatic, necessarily jocular, cynical, mustachieoed, endeavouring to control a mixed reservist and regular teams of de-brierers on a 24/7 schedule.
Eventually, Saddam's conference with the media involving a child. That required some very careful de-briefing skills. The Naval gent selected by Col. Jim was a credit to the task in hand thanks to him. A good Colonel. You gents should be proud . I am. RIP

Alan J was the RSM at Ashford when I went through the A1 and Drill and Duties1 courses in 1979. Suddenly finding that I had to stand straight and still, and not pick my nose on the Square when he took the first Big Parade was a bit of a shock, On finding that I was wearing non-issue Barrack Dress trousers (nicely tailored, and far more comfortable than those flammable nylon things), he spoke very quietly, but very, very scarily about a private meeting we would soon be having in his office.
On later courses he would usually be found in the back of my car, taking notes and speaking very quietly, but very, very scarily.

Paul Gibbons was a serial backsquadder at Ashford (no idea why) who later became a very distinguished senior corporate Manager with a major pharmaceutical organisation in Switzerland, and Phil Owen one of the best of low-temperature humourists in 7 Int Coy who could be surprisingly inventive on a night out (NFDA) Good people.

Alan J was the RSM at Ashford when I went through the A1 and Drill and Duties1 courses in 1979. Suddenly finding that I had to stand straight and still, and not pick my nose on the Square when he took the first Big Parade was a bit of a shock, On finding that I was wearing non-issue Barrack Dress trousers (nicely tailored, and far more comfortable than those flammable nylon things), he spoke very quietly, but very, very scarily about a private meeting we would soon be having in his office.
On later courses he would usually be found in the back of my car, taking notes and speaking very quietly, but very, very scarily.

I was a real curiosity to him, he being, then a Major. We were both in some common background training of organisations. Lou. L who replaced him and in turn, a former 'blade' , whom I recall wanting to get back to the 'Corps' , a good friend from 'air-troop' days.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Lots of names, some known even to this darksider.

To the list above can be added Lt Col Ian Henderson and Maj Phil Hodges, in the last couple of months. Two very kind and very respected officers.

On Col Webb, he was CO JSIW when I did the long course, a couple of months after the DDT period @Alec_Lomas mentions and he was a splendid man. Outstanding value on a couple of RtoI exercises in Germany, notably when in the company of assorted hobbledehoys and ne'er-do-wells from the RAF SERE world and quite awesome company on the piss in Ravensburg.

To the list above can be added Lt Col Ian Henderson and Maj Phil Hodges, in the last couple of months. Two very kind and very respected officers.

On Col Webb, he was CO JSIW when I did the long course, a couple of months after the DDT period @Alec_Lomas mentions and he was a splendid man. Outstanding value on a couple of RtoI exercises in Germany, notably when in the company of assorted hobbledehoys and ne'er-do-wells from the RAF SERE world and quite awesome company on the piss in Ravensburg.

Ravensburg.? Goodness, the apologies I had to made after some of those sessions. Schindennes was local to the Welfen Kaserne students in Weingarten. Bad Kholgrub was another winter world.

EDT : correct to : Shindehahnes'. (sp?) Erica knows, my perseverance interludes, and payments for issues that may or may not have arisen. during student visits.

Last edited:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ravensburg.? Goodness, the apologies I had to made after some of those sessions. Schindennes was local to the Welfen Kaserne students in Weingarten. Bad Kholgrub was another winter world.

EDT : correct to : Shindehahnes'. (sp?) Erica knows, my perseverance interludes, and payments for issues that may or may not have arisen. during student visits.
There was this one incident, when a grizzled old Flight Lieutenant took extreme exception to - he thought - a happy fat man calling his pint a pouff, having failed to recognise that the happy fat man had around a dozen brawny mates with him....

A former Vulcan skipper who later, sadly, came to a very undignified end, the Colonel and your humble correspondent (the only German speaker) did Diplomacy For England that night.

ugly

LE
I seem to remember a Sgt Mortlock teaching me photography at NIPG in 86

He (Webb) was an expert in the bottle-walk (placing a beer-bottle as far from the toes as possible while using another to return to the upright position), and no RUC SB flubbergut could better him. Neither could I, but I had a bad back, or leg, or something whenever he challenged.

I was shocked to see Sean Fehrenbach's name. He couldn't have been particularly old.

He told me a dit once about his mum catching him on TV during some tense stand off on Banner despite having reassured her of his distance from any action.

In the day, finishing a particular tour, I 'agreed' to be attached to you guys at Templar Bks. Two names, jump out at me from @Whiskybreath list. I'm not on the ICA circuit ( quite rightfully so ).

Alan Jacobs and I worked closely together. It was a small team. I was blessed in being in the same geographical territory post military career, so caught up with occasional coffees and social chat over a period. I'll miss him above many. RIP

James Webb, if I'm considering of the same gent, took over the department from another Col. JIm of laundry fame.

Besides the regular stuff, I was on DDT duty, when we found ourselves at Heathrow & Gatwick canvassing the in-coming passengers, fleet footing from Jordan, utterly tired, many in the same clothes they'ed 'escaped' from Kuwait to if they so wished, chat to the team.
Col. Jim was a calm, enigmatic, necessarily jocular, cynical, mustachieoed, endeavouring to control a mixed reservist and regular teams of de-brierers on a 24/7 schedule.
Eventually, Saddam's conference with the media involving a child. That required some very careful de-briefing skills. The Naval gent selected by Col. Jim was a credit to the task in hand thanks to him. A good Colonel. You gents should be proud . I am. RIP
Might the naval gent have been a Janner, Alec? Top bloke, sad to have lost touch with him

Might the naval gent have been a Janner, Alec? Top bloke, sad to have lost touch with him

Yes, but possibly not the permanent staff one you may be thinking of I surmise. I suspect you may be thinking of our resident CPO.
This particular debriefer was a senior, as in age, gent from HMS Ferret.

Latest Threads