Corps Comd's Commendation - Op GRANBY

Rooper

War Hero
When a mate died recently he family asked if we had any pictures of him and whilst searching my 'archives' I stumble across a Certificate of Commendation VII Corps Saudi Arabia signed by General Franks Jnr, US Army which arrived in the post sometime after Gulf War One.

It arrived with no explanation or anything like that and I have no idea what it's all about; whether everyone got one, just a random few (like the Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal) or whether I should actually frame it and display it in the downstairs toilet!

So, the question is; is there any GW1 veterans out there who also got one who knows anything about them or any of the amateur historians on here have a clue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 12.20.05.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 12.20.05.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 107
No disrespect to your mate, but we used to knock out similar stuff wholesale for senior officers to send off to all and sundry after operations, and even major exercises.

That said; regardless of level of commendation it should be proudly displayed in the downstairs toilet.

Rooper

War Hero
:) believe me, I'm under no illusions about the worth of the thing, hence the fact that it's sat forgotten in a box of photographs coming up for 30 years!

It was more of an interest thing to see who else got them and whether they had any idea what they were all about.

Oyibo

LE
When a mate died recently he family asked if we had any pictures of him and whilst searching my 'archives' I stumble across a Certificate of Commendation VII Corps Saudi Arabia signed by General Franks Jnr, US Army which arrived in the post sometime after Gulf War One.

It arrived with no explanation or anything like that and I have no idea what it's all about; whether everyone got one, just a random few (like the Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal) or whether I should actually frame it and display it in the downstairs toilet!

So, the question is; is there any GW1 veterans out there who also got one who knows anything about them or any of the amateur historians on here have a clue?

I'm afraid that @Effendi is probably right - I have a Certificate of Recommendation from a Rangers Bn after an exercise in Scotland. They seemed to be the Yank version of handing over a Bn plaque (but a lot cheaper).

:) believe me, I'm under no illusions about the worth of the thing, hence the fact that it's sat forgotten in a box of photographs coming up for 30 years!

It was more of an interest thing to see who else got them and whether they had any idea what they were all about.

As to who got them; just to give an indication just for the Crusader and Lionheart exercises we knocked out one for every participant regardless of regular, TA, reserve, civvy attached. We drew the line at filling them out and sending them out...........to show you how effective that was I received one for Lionheart 18 months after the event. We also used to bang out loads for the battalions if they went away on UN tours, to NI, or other places.

I held all the master signatures for all the star ranks in BAOR and SHAPE. Should word come down that a certificate was needed for any individual, or group then I just had the artwork knocked out and got my printers to produce them with the requisite signatures applied on the letterpress Heidelberg.

But, I never saw the one your mate received and to me it looks somewhat American in production style.

Last edited:

Wee Hawken

War Hero
As to who got them; just to give an indication just for the Crusader and Lionheart exercises we knocked out one for every participant regardless of regular, TA, reserve, civvy attached. We drew the line at filling them out and sending them out...........to show you how effective that was I received one for Lionheart 18 months after the event.

Well I'm still waiting for mine 36 years later. Is it still in your desk somewhere?

Hahaha! Some RAF cock had his Op Warden (Provide Comfort II) US limited edition certificate (351,250 of 2,500,00) framed , with some crappy patches.

'Outstanding contribution Sir . . ' :salut:

H2994-L27458089.jpg

DAS

War Hero
We got a unit citation for GW1 from that big American bloke with the funny name I can't spell. No certificates etc for the masses. There was a nice line in "Middle Eastern Air Show 90-91" patches for work denims though.

OP I'm in a group where there's loads of current serving US military and veterans. Would you like me to share it on their facebook group?

Well I'm still waiting for mine 36 years later. Is it still in your desk somewhere?

Yeah mate, its...........errrr, in the post, ..............should arrive any day now.

Dwarf

LE
Yeah mate, its...........errrr, in the post, ..............should arrive any day now.
I didn't get mine either. Perhaps because I moved country.
Could you check in your desk and see if it was returned by the post office? Thanks.

Still have a sweatshirt from Keystone in 82 though.

No disrespect to your mate, but we used to knock out similar stuff wholesale for senior officers to send off to all and sundry after operations, and even major exercises.

That said; regardless of level of commendation it should be proudly displayed in the downstairs toilet.

Sounds a bit like US medal criteria.

Sounds a bit like US medal criteria.

We [proudly] display ours in the downstairs toilet, whereas my experience of Americans is that they have huge "I love me" walls. A bloke who works for the Mrs, actually a nice chap, his office has so much kitsch and memorabilia it looks like he served 50 years in the USMC instead of the 4 he actually did serve.

War Hero
We got a unit citation for GW1 from that big American bloke with the funny name I can't spell....
It was Norman.
N-O-R-M-A-N. (November Oscar Romeo Mike Alpha November)

In your own time, carry on.

Rooper

War Hero
OP I'm in a group where there's loads of current serving US military and veterans. Would you like me to share it on their facebook group?
Feel free mate, lets see how many thousand we knocked out!! :-D