Corps Belt

#1
Anyone know why the ordinary RLC soldier uses the Crops Belt (Huge clasp in the middle) and the Officers have the traditional Stable belt (Leather Buckles)? Are the Pioneers still allowed to use the Stable Belt?

Unusual question you might ask, but its just one of those things I thought of today when popping to the PRI and spending another small fortune on a Corps belt.
 

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#3
Scally said:
Anyone know why the ordinary RLC soldier uses the Crops Belt (Huge clasp in the middle) and the Officers have the traditional Stable belt (Leather Buckles)? Are the Pioneers still allowed to use the Stable Belt?

Unusual question you might ask, but its just one of those things I thought of today when popping to the PRI and spending another small fortune on a Corps belt.
Pioneers wear the stable belt the same as everybody else - always have done.
 
#5
u_didnt_c_me_i_wasnt_ther said:
why is it in our sqn that only snco's are allowed to wear the corp stable belt, especially as the bar stewards made us buy them,
Some units are very special and decide to ignore Corps dress regs.

There is a rumour that the masses may be able to wear the side fastening belt due to abdominal injuries from that tacky belt buckle if involved in an RTA, that's why I'm hanging slack on buying a new one. No doubt the info will be disseminated to units in the next millenia.....
 
#6
untallguy said:
Scally said:
Anyone know why the ordinary RLC soldier uses the Crops Belt (Huge clasp in the middle) and the Officers have the traditional Stable belt (Leather Buckles)? Are the Pioneers still allowed to use the Stable Belt?

Unusual question you might ask, but its just one of those things I thought of today when popping to the PRI and spending another small fortune on a Corps belt.
Pioneers wear the stable belt the same as everybody else - always have done.
Sorry its not often I need to correct someone, but this time I do. A Corps belt has the buckle at the front, a stable belt has the LEATHER buckles at the side (Comes from the old days). We currently, and since the RLC’s formation have worn the corps belt. Only the Officers and Pioneers have worn the stable belt. So thanks for your input but it was incorrect.
 

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#7
Scally said:
untallguy said:
Scally said:
Anyone know why the ordinary RLC soldier uses the Crops Belt (Huge clasp in the middle) and the Officers have the traditional Stable belt (Leather Buckles)? Are the Pioneers still allowed to use the Stable Belt?

Unusual question you might ask, but its just one of those things I thought of today when popping to the PRI and spending another small fortune on a Corps belt.
Pioneers wear the stable belt the same as everybody else - always have done.
Sorry its not often I need to correct someone, but this time I do. A Corps belt has the buckle at the front, a stable belt has the LEATHER buckles at the side (Comes from the old days). We currently, and since the RLC’s formation have worn the corps belt. Only the Officers and Pioneers have worn the stable belt. So thanks for your input but it was incorrect.
At the risk of turning this into a debate between two people...

I obviously misunderstood the exam question!!!!! In answer to the definitions above, at 23 Regt, the officers wear the stable belt (side fastening) and all soldiers (Pioneer CEG and all others) wear the Corps belt (big buckle at the front).
 
#8
Alternatively it could be argued that dress regs are ignored and a green 58 pattern belt is worn instead........
 

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#9
chunky said:
Alternatively it could be argued that dress regs are ignored and a green 58 pattern belt is worn instead........
I wasn't going to mention that
 
#10
Belts coloured for the use of are naff - bring back the RAOC belt which had the normal width and not the abomination which has the size of the WRAC belt!
 
#11
On the same subject, I saw a RLC Officer wearing a Red MacDuff Tartan Stable Belt in Glasgow this summer, along with a Tartan badge backing. Is it a Scottish Transport Regiment (V) regimental embellishment or something else?
 
#12
Scally said:
untallguy said:
Scally said:
Anyone know why the ordinary RLC soldier uses the Crops Belt (Huge clasp in the middle) and the Officers have the traditional Stable belt (Leather Buckles)? Are the Pioneers still allowed to use the Stable Belt?

Unusual question you might ask, but its just one of those things I thought of today when popping to the PRI and spending another small fortune on a Corps belt.
Pioneers wear the stable belt the same as everybody else - always have done.
Sorry its not often I need to correct someone, but this time I do. A Corps belt has the buckle at the front, a stable belt has the LEATHER buckles at the side (Comes from the old days). We currently, and since the RLC’s formation have worn the corps belt. Only the Officers and Pioneers have worn the stable belt. So thanks for your input but it was incorrect.
Not quite correct, however. The leather 'buckles' are not at the side, it is a question of how the belt is worn by individual Regts/Corps. Some choose to wear the belt with the 'buckles' at the front, some at the sides.

PAW
 
#13
Mike_2817 said:
On the same subject, I saw a RLC Officer wearing a Red MacDuff Tartan Stable Belt in Glasgow this summer, along with a Tartan badge backing. Is it a Scottish Transport Regiment (V) regimental embellishment or something else?
Yep
 
#14
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
Not quite correct, however. The leather 'buckles' are not at the side, it is a question of how the belt is worn by individual Regts/Corps. Some choose to wear the belt with the 'buckles' at the front, some at the sides.

PAW
Also not quite correct. The stable belt should be worn with the leather patch to the side when at regimental duty, in order not to catch the buckles on ones horse, and at the front when in a HQ or elsewhere where there are no horses. Of course everyone wears them at the side all the time in our Corps because, frankly, no-one has any understanding of the history behind this item. When was the last time an RLC officer rode a horse in uniform I wonder?
 
#16
brettarider said:
Am I going daft already but wasn't the stable belt issued out to OR's when the corps 1st started?
I doubt it as the original Corp regs only allowed for the metal buckle type belt for all ranks including officers.
 
#17
Keyboardwarrior said:
brettarider said:
Am I going daft already but wasn't the stable belt issued out to OR's when the corps 1st started?
I doubt it as the original Corp regs only allowed for the metal buckle type belt for all ranks including officers.

No it was not. :(

As we have all (except some retreads , who were presented with it) had to buy them, why do some units then restrict their wearing - against the Corps instruction (is it a regulation or an instruction?)? Who is bigger?

As the Mat Regs replacement JSP 3366336633663366 states the dress REGULATIONS (i.e. No 14 Dress....to be worn.... etc) and then gives Regtl & Corps variations, surely the Corps gives instructions? Either way a service pattern belt complies with the JSP and that is the higher order so is correct (but then the Corps Belt is an authorised instruction...) :roll:

Corps belts on trousers & green belts over Jackets (now that really is a silly practise)? :x

Who cares?!
 
#18
As a side issue I'd just like to point out how pants the Corps belt looks when worn in conjunction with C95. I think it should only be worn with barrack dress or lightweights, while C95 should be worn with a webbing belt. Only my opinion, and I suppose that's an argument for another drunk afternoon.....
 
#19
Well I wear the one with she big shiny buckle - its shiny (I like shiny!) and easier to get your keks down in a hurry after a night on the beer and biryani
 
#20
skintboymike said:
As a side issue I'd just like to point out how pants the Corps belt looks when worn in conjunction with C95. I think it should only be worn with barrack dress or lightweights, while C95 should be worn with a webbing belt. Only my opinion, and I suppose that's an argument for another drunk afternoon.....
Agreed, and as for that TRF......... whoops, a different thread in the same vein!

:roll:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads