Corporal 'blew top' with his men for abusing Iraqi prisoner

Status
Not open for further replies.
An army corporal accused of aiding and abetting mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners "blew his top", shouting and swearing at his men when he saw them forcing two Iraqi men to simulate oral sex, a court martial was told yesterday.

Cpl Daniel Kenyon, 33, said he also "rollocked" a soldier moving an Iraqi on the forks of a fork-lift truck. But he said he had not regarded that as anywhere near as serious a misdemeanour.

Alleged abuse at Camp Breadbasket
An Iraqi prisoner bound to the forks of a fork-lift truck

Kenyon did not report either incident to his superiors at Camp Breadbasket, near Basra, because they were in charge of an operation in which captured looters were being mistreated. One told him looters were routinely "given a good kicking".

He said: "I was going to be reporting something, which in my eyes hadn't physically hurt anybody, to people who were allowing other Iraqis to be physically hurt. I didn't see the point."

Kenyon, a section commander in 1 Bn, the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, said he had stopped some of his men taking photographs of each other pretending to throw punches or kick four Iraqis.

About 10 minutes later, he saw L/Cpl Mark Cooley, 25, from Newcastle, driving a fork-lift truck with an Iraqi bound in a cargo net held on the two forks.

"I started shouting and swearing at L/Cpl Cooley," Kenyon said. "I said: 'You stupid f****er what are you doing?' I believe he went away sulking." Kenyon and another soldier took down the Iraqi and cleaned him up.

L/Cpl Cooley, who denies two charges of conduct to the prejudice of good military order and discipline, later told Kenyon that he was only moving the Iraqi out of the sun.

Later Kenyon saw one of the Iraqis "kneeling in front of the other pretending to give him oral sex". "I blew my top. I gave them a rollocking. I started shouting and swearing, telling the lads to break it up.

"I told them it was off the mark. I was explaining that because there were other people around us doing that sort of thing we weren't to do it. I told them it had gone far enough."

Kenyon, who faces three charges of failing to report the incidents, rejected suggestions from Lt-Col Nick Clapham, prosecuting, that he should have informed his superior officers.

"There was no point in passing anything up the chain of command," Kenyon said. "It was the chain of command, who in my eyes were doing the wrongdoing and they were passing Iraqis down to us to do the same thing.

"I thought the higher-ups above me were in no fit state to do anything about it and report it to, so I dealt with it myself and I got rid of the problem."

The case continues.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...use11.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/02/11/ixhome.html

A_S

As I previously stated when I closed the last thread temporairily , any discussion on this case , or posts that invite discussion on this case on this board are suspended until proceedings are at an end.

Regards

PTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads