Corporal Apiata VC , Reluctant hero

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by tehori, Apr 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That would be nice, except it's for NZ viewers only buddy.

2. Damn, sorry. :cry:

3. it will be on display at the waiouru museum i take it?

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

5. Generous man.

Generous heart.

God bless this man.

6. Thank you very much Tehori, was gutted that I had missed it due to post ANZAC ceremony activities, and wasn't able to find the name of the program to look up etc etc. Cpl Apiata: What an asset to New Zealand.

7. A genuinley tough SOB if ever there was one.....it's a privilage to be allowed onto the same planet as guy's like that.

BTW did he have to leave the NZSAS?

8. I believe he's still in the Regiment, as a sort of mascot, but won't be allowed on any proper NZSAS missions in the future.

9. Well that's a bit of ball's :(

10. Jesus christ, I'd like to think that I would have the balls to do the same thing but that takes a hell of a lot of courage.

I hope being in the press hasn't hindered his career too much.

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Bit of a spotter question, but aren't his medals a part of his uniform i.e. for Medal Parades etc.? Or has he left/leaving the service?

Another spotter question; looking at the photos Cutaway's link he seems to be wearing a ribbon on his right breast above his name badge. Anyone know what it is?

12. The ribbon on his right breast is a unit citation awarded to the SAS Group by the Americans for their service in Aftgane

13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Reference Soggy's post above:

Navy and Marine Presidential Unit Citation (PUC)

The Navy citation is the unit equivalent of a Navy Cross and was established on 6 February 1942.

The Navy version has blue, yellow, and red horizontal stripes.
    To distinguish between the two versions of the Presidential Unit Citation, the Navy version is typically referred to as the Navy and Marine Corps Presidential Unit Citation while the Army and Air Force refer to the decoration simply as the Presidential Unit Citation.
    These are only worn by persons who meet the criteria at the time it is awarded to the unit.
    Unlike the Army, those who later join the unit do not wear it on a temporary basis.

[​IMG]

Source (click on United States)

Australian Special Air Service Regiment:

Members of an Australian Special Forces Task Group made up of personnel of the Australian Special Air Service Regiment, augmented by personnel from other units, served in Task Force K-Bar. The Presidential Unit Citation was the third to an Australian unit, joining the Army PUC awarded to 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment in the Korean War and the Army PUC awarded to D Company, 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment in the Vietnam War.

Source

Ok the sources are unfortunately the Wiki, but I think they'll do for now.

14. Fisrt I'd heard of this, why on earth has this not been picked up by the UK Press?