Corpman up.......

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by bigjarofwasps, Mar 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys, Can anyone explain the US Navy/Marines Corpman Rank System....

HMC - Chief Hospital Corpsman
    HM1 - Hosp First Class, etc,etc
    HN - Hospitalman
    HA - Hospitalman Apprentice

Also I believe you get additonal ranks , like E5, and stuff like that what does it all mean?

Could you like have a HM2 whose say a Staff Sgt, and a HM1 whose a Cpl?

2. HMC is a Chief Petty Officer. HM1- thru HM3 are petty officers, 1 being an E6, 3 being an E4. HNs are Seamen. Typical Navy rank structure, I believe it corresponds somewhat to Royal Navy ranks. I hope that helps.
  3. Eh? No it bloody well doesn't.

Able Rate
    Leading Hand
    Petty Officer
    Chief Petty Officer

None of this PO 3rd/2nd/1st Class b0llox.
  4. I see that the concept of "somewhat" is quite beyond your grasp. My conolences.

5. Cheers Sawdusty. So that fact that the guy is a HMC makes him, a Chief Petty Officer, it has nothing to do with his medical skill level, but to get to this rank he would have been in the Navy for sometime? In the RAMC, we have/had Combat Med Tech Class 3 - 1. One being the most trained, he could be anything from a Pte to a WO1. I assume the same is not said for the US Navy.

Also, when you join the Navy as a Medic, do you request to be posted to the Marines, or is it the luck of the draw. Once there would you spend your whole career there or do they move around to different ships, etc?

Cheers again BJOW.

6. Cheers baboon6 thats really interesting, Weird how a Lance Jack in the British Army is the same as a PO3 & PO2 Class in the US Navy, any idea what the crack there is? :plotting:
  7. The Navy is very technical so gaining rank is tied directly to ones skill level. Therefore one can presume that a Chief is trained to a higher level than a Petty Officer Third Class (aside from the inevitable few that slip through the cracks).

As to being posted with Marine units, the last I heard it was luck of the draw though I'd think the few who volunteer would certainly get their wish. As a matter of fact, I took my son to the doctors office the other day and I got into a conversation with the doctor. He said he was posted to a Marine Corps aviation squadron as a flight surgeon for his entire tour in the Navy. He had no choice in the matter but luckily enjoyed it. THat was a doctor and officer in the mid 1990s so I can't imagine too much has changed in the intervening years.

8. Cheers Sawdusty, interesting about the Doctor, I imagine its very similar to the British Army. When we finished basic we had what they called a wish list as to where you`d like to be posted. Example..

Pte X, I`d like to be posted near to my how town in Glasgow...sure he`s your posting Hong Kong for 3 years, hows that.

Pte Y, I`d like to go Cyprus please, sure 3 years in Breacon South Wales suit yeh?

Pte z, I`d like to go Airborne please, Foolish mortal....Aldershot 3 Para, go!!!
  9. First let me say it's my pleasure to answer your questions.

At least y'all got to choose your specialty. My first four years in the military were spent in the USMC. At the time (1981) only a very select few were able to enlist for a specific job and that only because they were signing up for a critical specialty. The rest of us unwashed were on what was called "open contract", meaning the Corps chose our jobs (not to mention unit/location) for us based upon the needs of the service. I had artillery crewmember thrust upon me but at least I was stationed in Southern California...

10. Hi Sawdusty, artillery thats not so bad. It could have been worse you could have been some 6` 5" monster of a guy, and ended up as a chef or something :thumright: I find it really strange that the Corps has basically every trade to support itself and yet gets its medics from the navy, I can`t understand that. :plotting:
  11. Unfortunately I wanted infantry. I had to join the Army afterwards in order to get that.

I never did ubderstand the medical thing but I suspect it might have something to do with money. Just my opinion, you understand.
  12. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Looking at the title 'Corpman up.......' It brought to mind the cry most often heard in combat 'Medic' or 'Corpman up.' Having been wounded under fire and having to utter that phrase myself, I salute the combat medics, Army & Marine (Navy) who respond to that call of Medic, no matter how heavy the fire happens to be to save lives!

In my case he responded, even though he was exposed to both mortor and small arms fire to treat me. Many medics were KIA in my unit.

I have the greatest respect and admiration for these combat medics, that expose themselves to hostile fire, to treat the wounded, as well as the Heleo pilots and crew that evacuate wounded soldiers under hostile fire on the LZ.

I salute you all!

13. You`d think that they`d say, hey this is going to leave if we don`t transer him to the infantry?

14. Trip Wire, what an interesting story, which conflict did you serve in?