Corp Rag

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Ford_Prefect, Jul 8, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone else noticed that the spunkstainer has gotten out of hand.  It seems to act more as a platform for COs to point out to DRLC how ace they are rather than a true reflection of what goes on or an interesting periodical.  Fundamentally all anyone seems to be interested in is column inches.  Most of the stuff in there is dull dull dull.  Why does X Regt catering dept have to have a section every month.  By all means if they have something interesting to say or something that will amuse but invariably it goes something like "blah blah...very busy period....blah blah....Sgt X posted out"

To compound matters minor units have started to push the boat out, 44 Sqn yes we know what you do.  School of Log... you dont need a 2 page spread!  Army Cadets.....who cares and to be brutally harsh the forming Corps associations.  Now I am all for articles on how some old boys came down for the boxing and got leathered but whilst those guys think its an achievement to have lasted another month it could be made more relevant to serving soldiers.

I think the Sustainer should seek to combine the best elements of the British Army review and Soldier magazine.  Information on new developments, pressing issues and a letters page where everyone can whinge (name and address supplied stylee)

2. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

The other thing I can never understand is why, if it is intended for soldiers to read, do they put so much doctrine in there? Don't they realise that the only people who read it are the authors of the pieces and the editors? Who cares if SO3 Bog Roll at SchLog is now SO3 Bog Rolls and Toilet Seats and that the whole tream structure has changed to accommodate this groundbreaking development?

The best pieces are the ones written by the juniors who have returned from ops, it's just a pity that nothing slightly amusing survives the editing. And another thing, why is there never any intnetional humour in it? Dy they really think we had our sense of humours surgically removed on entry to the Corps? In fact.....best not to answer that one!  ::)

3. I think most units, currently see writing Corps Notes as a chore to be endured rather than enjoyed.  Perhaps the reason that so many CO's are photographed/ mentioned is because its the easiest way of getting some turgid prose past the CO when, as a young subbie, you get tasked to write the notes.

The idea of a letters page is excellent.   Soldier manage theirs very well without it getting swamped by too much triv.  

Other suggestions:  

A section on tactical rather than strategic log doctrine.

Sections on Kit for soldiers.

Maintenance tips/some of that truckie stuff to keep the trogs quiet [might need lots of pictures for that one]

Some recipes for Chefs - please.

Could we also have a couple of soft, absorbant pages at the back - the shiny ones are a bit uncomfortable for us toilet seat readers. ;D

As for the humour - have you ever seen the swimsuit edition?   :eek:

4. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Just bin the doctrine altogether, no-one ever reads it.

Just buy us a Haines manual for Xmas  ;D

Is that the one with "Wide Load" on the cover?  ;D

5. I think when we use the term doctrine it need not necessarily be the really irrelevant kind, more the sort of 'how we cuffed it in the Gulf when we realised the FRC was bollocks etc.'

Units should be encouraged to only submit articles of interest not as a matter of course as the you cant really get to an issue because you've just fallen aslepp reading about the Regtl safe and skilled competion.

Question:  Who actually reads all of the Corps journal?  I mean all of it; cover to cover.  One would assume DRLC, but I wonder who else.

6. I read the Corps Rag cover to cover.  Admittedly it takes some time as I am a slow reader and have to ask what some of the bigger words mean...and I do tend to only scan the articles by the less fashionable regts and the associations.

As for 'tactical' doctrine - I mean the basic stuff for soldiers such as track discipline on entering Harbour locs, decent Camming of vehs, defense of Locs etc..I include those topics as examples because they seem to need relearning every ex/deployment.

Perhaps the lack of humour is a sign of a deeply insecure Corps and hierarchy? :-/

7. I usually put mine straight in the bin...it's sh*te!

And I wonder when they'll be changing the capbadge to reflect the fcuking appaling new design....

...no, far too embarrassed I expect..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Well I am glad to see that someone has read all of your comments as the Corps Rag has changed dramatically over the last few years. NOT! You all have some good points, perhaps you may be taken seriously if you wrote an essay about it or even an article for the Corps review. Mind you if you send a copy to HQ RLC, someone will probably keep the letter for a few months and then come up with a greta new idea for the Corps Mag in order to get an MBE etc.

9. Very glossy and lots of pictures of trucks......the SUSTAINER. The old Corps gazette needs to get away from telling the reader where each RLC regiment has been on tour, with manning overstretch and the policy of ensuring that no serviceman or woman spends more than 6 months in barracks, WE ALL KNOW WHERE AND WHAT WE DID ON TOUR. Lets get back to the tried and tested squaddie humour and personal mentions.

10. Personally, I find the mag very useful, for spotting mates and getting crates of beer out of them. Postings is good on the back, to find out where the jammy fecker got posted to, and, well, thats about it...the rest is crap. Letters page is a storming idea.....1st pages I read in the Soldier are the letters pages.

Also, bin the adverts of the trucks etc...I'm never gonna buy one, even if I did win the lottery and could afford it. Adverts for PRI stuff etc should be there.

11. The whole thing is a stinking pile of fezzing cocksnot from cover to cover. Apart from the last article I was jiffed to write which of, course,was superb.

I hate to admit it, but the best corps magazine I've seen is 'The Sapper'. It seems that individuals are encouraged to write interesting and amusing articles about any interesting and amusing things they might have done, rather than every unit submit some dull, drab, dreary nonsense about their daily routine. The presentation is much better as well, being laid out in such a way as to be actually readable.

We already have sufficient official publications to read about doctrine, and they're boring enough as it is. I fully expect OCs and COs to blow sunshine bubbles up each other's orifices, but would rather they did it in private. The whole thing is summed up by the postings bit in the back. Officers and SNCOs only. Isn't there anyone else in the corps?

12. Yeah, when was the last time you saw any postings apart from Drivers, stacker and MTI`s. Obviously the rest of us are not part of this sh** corps.

You had best wash out your mouth, SAPPER!!?? :evil: , I cannot believe you even opened the cover prior to wiping your arse with it!!. THE SHAME.

13. Not reading all the postings then....ALL trades are there inc Rad Ops (Winners), Rail men, Photoraphers etc...[/quote]

14. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

The Corps rag is indeed in need of a makeover. By all means keep in what each unit has been doing but reduce it to a few pages covering tour dates and locations and which sqns are deployed without all the guff.

It seems as if it is trying to be something it is not. Other journals I have read by Infantry units are full of articles written by the lads, with cartoons drawn by the lads generally taking the piss out of the SNCOs and Officers in an anonymous manner. I realise an Inf Bn is smaller and more intimate than the average RLC unit so the format might not work.

It also helps to be a fortune teller when writing for the Stainer as the articles are normally 6 months out of date by the time they reach print and to send articles direct to the editor bypassing Troopy to ensure he doesn't start to get a sweat on and worry about his promotion prospects if your article gets published.

It's where your one days pay scheme goes so lets lobby the editor to change it. I feel a letter coming on the Corps.

15. Maybe DRLC could have a column where he could expounge to the wider corps the kind of guff I've heard him come out with......3 trades indeed!