Corp of Signals is full of w*****s

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by bleep323, Aug 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well thats what I keep hearing when I come here to this site or talk to other people who have dealings with us (I say us I left years ago). The gerneral opion appears to be that all who wear the Jimmy are fat, lazy, self opinionated smart arses who are not half as clever as they think they are and don't give any real value to operations. Most of this comes from Infantry types who reckon that because they set up quicker, had higher morse rates or knew batco that they were as good at comms as their scaley counter parts and could do the job of the corp better. But the Infantry guys are not the only ones, REME, RE, RA and others had all had their digs and thats ok it what soldiers do. There also appears to be constant infighting which for the most part appears to be nothing more than p*ss taking and a bit of fun but there are others who seem to have a real dislike for the corp in which they serve and people they serve alongside.

A few weeks ago I visited and old buddy of mine from when I was in and met guys from most of the trades, some with years of experaince and others very new and as Dr Cox would say

wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, your wrong, your wrong.

Ok so I know I only met one very small cross section of guys and it was in a social setting and not work but these were genuinely good guys who knew their trades and what they were talking about, none were unfit or goby and were a pleasure to be around. So have I just met the exception to the rule or is the rule full of s*it, I think the latter. I know there are lazy, unfit tossers in the Copr but I doubt we have have the monopoly on them.

I expect a huge amount of incoming fire for this so I'm bogging off for a month to let the dust settle.

2. Ever thought that it might just be you?

Having said that, in a previous job, it was beholden upon me to inspect all Radio Dets in Germany. The admin and presentation of the vehicles owned by the Corps was almost always far far worse than those presented by the Infantry, Gunners, Cav etc. They treated you well, made sure that everything was laid out correctly and on time too. I have gone to units (Signals) where they knew we we coming for months and had the Armd Rebros stripped for driver training. I think it was a "little knowledge" scenario. Having said that, I am fiercely proud of what I still consider to be "my" Corps.

3. From a REME point of view 30 Sigs was the worst posting ever! I have to say it was not due to the fact that they were all lazy and sh1t at there jobs, the problem was there thought they were so feckin special, you are not a teeth arm! The SNCO's went out of their way to feck people around and why do CO's PT at 3pm on a Friday(Que big line of ugly females standing at the back, on the sick, were they all constantly on the blob?).

It was just arrse, they spent so much time on ops they never went on exercise, all the REME work was contracted out to a local garage, 9-5 job with no work, arrse arrse arrse! It made me realise how good working for the Artillery was!

Anyway if signals was hard it would be a REME trade! :wink:

4. VerminWA, Quite agree with you about 30 Pigs, worst posting ever. When were you there?

5. Err.... I think if you read his whole post, his point is that our glorious Corps is often falsely percieved as being full of tossers.

Føcked if I know why, but its my belief that any malaise is brought about by the Corps having to work uncomfortably closely to HQ. Any officer that wants promotion wants to shine when they're in the limelight. Unfortunately, for them, its common knowledge that the success of any Signals unit can be attributed to the brains of the supervisory ranks, and the hard work of the juniors. This is what leads to officers making excessive use of the RD rosta's dubious interest in bullshæt.

And no, I'm not a supervisor, before I signed off my next step would have put me on the RD rosta. :p

6. I am not and never have been fat! :)

7. And know how to get weapons put into the armoury quickly :D

I've found my operators generally know less about VP, A&P and BATCO than my old inf sigs ptes but then you'll meet someone who'll blow that myth to pieces. Its little things like wanting to always erect an inverted V for HF comms, in the inf they'd go for endfed normally moving onto a multifrequency dipole for skywave, its looks like Sigs have gone for the easy antenna (when its probably best for the job).
    Also a CSgt/WO2 in a Signals platoon is more focused on comms then a troop SSgt as thats someone elses job, again these creates a false perception (all ranks in a Sigs platoon are interested in radio comms, its not the same in the Sigs). Also Inf Sigs don't seperate exercises into comms and mil skills, its always both, the perception from the other side can be wrong
    Having said that I transferred because I gained a healthy respect for the corps, mainly from my Sigs Pln comd who had been a YofS

8. I worked with the RIC Sigs Pln in the follies for a few months in 2001 and I can honestly say they were very keen, and good listeners, but if they were that good they would not have needed me to get HF Comms in for them from E to W islands. I taught them man packs and after a couple of days I was on patrols with them and when ever they went to Onion range I went with them, (them being the Cheshire). So I guess you could say, yeah I’m a fatty but I could do comms like a demon!

9. Having served a glorious 10 years in the Corps drinking fighting and sh@gging my way through.I did come across a few tossers some signals some Inf some Raf and some Navy but then again on the whole I met some top Blokes and some are still serving today.

Just to pick up on some of the points on the initial post

The gerneral opion appears to be that all who wear the Jimmy are fat, lazy, self opinionated smart arses who are not half as clever as they think they are and don't give any real value to operations.

Well I cant speak for the anyone else but myself but every unit I went to PT was a beasting session there was the odd one or two on jelly bellys maybe 2 to 3% of the strength of the unit, regt , troop etc.That takes care of Fat and Lazy maybe its the general opinion of R Sigs Officers they were talking about which hand on heart most I found were fat and lazy not all mind.

Most of this comes from Infantry types who reckon that because they set up quicker, had higher morse rates or knew batco that they were as good at comms as their scaley counter parts and could do the job of the corp better.

Well I never did morse I also never did Batco except for BSS in Catterick but then again I would be suprised if an infantry Sigs Chap could Joint a 500 pair Comms cable in full NBC on a bombed runway quicker than me or splice a fibre optic cable quicker than me I would be highly suprised if the could configure a Cisco Router faster than an me or an IS Guy I would be more astounded if they could speak russian arabic chinese quicker than some of our corps members (might have that bit wrong just in case they all transferred over to the slime I have been out a couple of years)
    So I think generalisation of the corps by the infrantry might be an issue were not all Rad Ops or RTGs the signals on the whole are Communication
    experts.
    But in answer to the infrantry being as good at comms as the Corps of signals that I doubt.But I am quite sure every Royal Sigs soldier can fire a weapon and some better than the infrantry.

There also appears to be constant infighting which for the most part appears to be nothing more than p*ss taking and a bit of fun.

Thats normal always has been always will be its normally cross trade banter my trades better than yours etc you got your first tape out of a lucky bag etc (that ones for you puffy arrsed techs )

but there are others who seem to have a real dislike for the corp in which they serve and people they serve alongside.

This could be attributed to a number of things, pressure for example the enviroment in which you guys now work is pretty extreme to say the least everyone has a job to do and it is normally under time constraints making do with what resources are available whilst being under manned but this is done under hierachal structure so the Signaller is annoyed at the senior siggie Lancejack for his dick job the Lancejack at the fullscrew the full screw at the Sgt the at the troop Staffy SSM Yos Fos etc and so on its every rank is under pressure to get results.
    This not just the signals I bet every corps and infranty unit have the same problem and every arm except the RAF (lazy work shy fat gits I know I have served at 4 Raf units ok not all RAF about 85% raf regt and the fire men were quite good lads)

these were genuinely good guys who knew their trades and what they were talking about, none were unfit or goby and were a pleasure to be around. So have I just met the exception to the rule or is the rule full of s*it, I think the latter. I know there are lazy, unfit tossers in the Copr but I doubt we have have the monopoly on them.

I concur (thats agree for you infrantry type chaps)

edited for grammar

10. Damn good point, it's like saying 'I've got HGV so I'm as good as any RLC person'. It's a very poor argument and only reflects a tiny part of our role.

I would add, however, that if anyone out there thinks the infantry just fires a weapon or does what we do each year on battle camp, think again. A lot of people (not including scousemech by the way, his comment was just a reminder) think that because they can do an APWT and a section attack they're virtually as good as infantry. Absolute pish. If you ever get a chance to watch those guys in full flow, e.g. a live firing battle group advance-to-contact, you start to appreciate the level of skills there. The NCOs are worth their weight in gold and rightly command the respect of the toms. I personally feel that when it comes to physical and moral courage - i.e. putting the head above the parapet and being counted, they're better than our NCOs.

11. If REME were really important, you'd have been invented before us :wink:

12. After reading this shit about the R SIGS being fat and lazy yeah there are a few, But my OH definatly aint fat or lazy as right now hes doing a 20mile tab along with 9 others in practise for the lanyard trophy which is 40miles. If thats lazy id like to see in your opinion someone that aint lazy...

13. to be honest there r alot of fat lazy people in the sigs but no more than the other corps where i'm at now we do all the work on the panzers coz the reme sgt is a fat lazy but i've worked with other cap badges and got on, the ones that say we're all dicks have only met the dicks coz we try 2 keep them away from us!

14. I deal with both Sigs and SP Unit bods day in day out and although the conversation at breakie could make most of you guys :oops: ,they are all a decent bunch of lads. Who have nothing but respect for the civillian staff and other regiments no matter how up themselves they are.

I value my lads are in the signals corps they are nothing but smashing helpful guys who will look after those who look after them.

And bless em theyre a cheeky bastrds but it brightens my day :D

15. Yeah, that's great but you both came from THE CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS so back in your box!