Coronavirus , How Concerned Are You ?

Coronavirus , How Concerned Are You ?

• I`m genuinely concerned and have started to make plans.

• Nothing to worry about , carry on as normal .

• I`ll be staying out of circulation until it dies down.

• I`ve cancelled all travel plans.

• Panic Panic Panic , we are all going to die .

• Time to stock pile food and water .

• I trust the British government to take care of everything.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm somewhere around fatalistically concerned. I'm asthmatic, so at high risk. Equally, my job has me in constant contact with street community types, who I suspect are also high risk groups. Add in issuing tickets means I may get spat upon.

I've started trying to get into good habits. IE: Wearing gloves, not touching my face and washing my hands at every possible moment.

Size 12 if anyone cares.

I am somewhere between "I`m genuinely concerned and have started to make plans." and "Nothing to worry about , carry on as normal." It depends on what you mean by "plans".
I know what you mean. I am going to swing by the shops after school drop off and stick up on med supplies. We tend to keep our med cabinet well stocked but have been lax this year.
Nothing fancy, just paracetamol, aspirin, brufin, etc.

Japan has just closed every school in the country, according to the FT...
yes, but the Japanese have the public gumption to keep all the kids indoors.
as was noted on some news programme last night, here, if we closed the schools, you’d get millions of kids out in the streets or swarming around towns and theme parks acting as Super Spreaders R Us

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
Genuinely concerned about the economic and productivity losses cased by overreaction fear, mostly caused by Politicians needing to "Be seen to do something" and pandering to Hollywood inspired beliefs about what needs to be done to prevent a "global extinction event".

The impact on the NHS, as happened with Swine ,flu, will be an increase in pressure, mostly caused by the panicked "worried well", the idiots incapable of following advice and higher than average sickness rates among staff. This will lead to delays for treatment for everyone, contributing to the overall death rate. (which increased during Swine Flu, by a greater proportion than could be attributed directly to H1N1, meaning that people may have died because they didn't get the care they needed.....)*

This is not going to lead to World War Z, but if we overreact and panic, it could tip us into a negative growth situation, as precursor to another recession. In any event, closed borders, restrictions on travel and such like will push up consumer prices, so plans? Double check the use by dates on the (so far unused) No deal Brexit stockpile, and invest in some shares in 3M (mask manufacturers) and any Big Pharma involved in Vaccine research.

* Therefore, don't be a twat, and follow the advice given by the NHS - Kung 'flu is currently about as lethal as the ordinary 'flu in most populations.

Don't worry a vaccine may be just around the corner. only one problem it's been invented / discovered by the Joows so the woke and good won't be able to accept it, unless of course they are sanctimonious two faced hypocrites. Oh wait Iv'e just seen a flaw in my previous statement. Congratulations to Israel's Galilee Research Institute - Coronavirus vaccine maybe 90 days away
For a small country Israel is remarkably hi-tech and successful.
Back on track, according to all the professors, doctors etc appearing on german TV there's not much to worry about, it's no worse than the annual flu that appears in ever varying types. Apparently the risk of dying increases significantly above 50 (I'm f**ked), but the total fatality rate is less than 5%.

Dredd

LE
If anything, it's being under reported at the moment. If CORVID19 is kept under control, that's great, but it stands the potential to be worse than 1919 if it truly lets rip.

Antibiotics are all but useless against new viral strains and the human physique is generally less tollerant of viruses and bacterial infections than it used to be.

That's something that's worth keeping contained and the current level of reporting is hardly alarmist.
Antibiotics are not all but useless against viruses.

They are TOTALLY useless against them. Because they are viruses.

Genuinely concerned about the economic and productivity losses cased by overreaction fear, mostly caused by Politicians needing to "Be seen to do something" and pandering to Hollywood inspired beliefs about what needs to be done to prevent a "global extinction event".

The impact on the NHS, as happened with Swine ,flu, will be an increase in pressure, mostly caused by the panicked "worried well", the idiots incapable of following advice and higher than average sickness rates among staff. This will lead to delays for treatment for everyone, contributing to the overall death rate. (which increased during Swine Flu, by a greater proportion than could be attributed directly to H1N1, meaning that people may have died because they didn't get the care they needed.....)*

This is not going to lead to World War Z, but if we overreact and panic, it could tip us into a negative growth situation, as precursor to another recession. In any event, closed borders, restrictions on travel and such like will push up consumer prices, so plans? Double check the use by dates on the (so far unused) No deal Brexit stockpile, and invest in some shares in 3M (mask manufacturers) and any Big Pharma involved in Vaccine research.

* Therefore, don't be a twat, and follow the advice given by the NHS - Kung 'flu is currently about as lethal as the ordinary 'flu in most populations.
Spot on.
German industry is a bit worried because exports to China are suffering and all those who out sourced production to China are now suffering from the consequences of the disease in China and the disruption caused.

IMHO there is no point panicking, if it turns into a pandemic you are either going to either get it, and die , get it and not die , or , more probably , not get it at all

I will apologise now and put my hands up...

Covid - 19 is all my fault.
I was ranting to Doris , about 8 weeks ago , about these stupid Extinction Rebellion kids , all the rhetoric , (which we all know anyway) and no practicle ideas how to change it
It was then when I said "You know , the world population is far too large to contain and control that's where the main problems lie... what we need is a new plague , of biblical proportion, to reduce it!"

So.….. " Sorry! My Bad!"

Japan has just closed every school in the country, according to the FT...
3 schools in W Yorks closed, 2 teachers in IC post ski trip in Italy. Not London so it hasn’t made the news .

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
I'm somewhere around fatalistically concerned. I'm asthmatic, so at high risk. Equally, my job has me in constant contact with street community types, who I suspect are also high risk groups. Add in issuing tickets means I may get spat upon.

I've started trying to get into good habits. IE: Wearing gloves, not touching my face and washing my hands at every possible moment.

Size 12 if anyone cares.
I care. I professionally care.*

I'll have them.

Swap you for my slippers, take two weeks off from your spitty street people on the basis that you have some symptoms and NHS 111 told you to stay at home.

Job Jobbed.

Seriously though, those are good habits to get into to avoid any respiratory virus - Not washing hands and touching your face are the main method of spread of the common cold and influenza.

Masks however are a double edged sword. Unless is is a proper FP3 mask, changed regularly using proper handling techniques (after decontaminating your hands etc. a la "Survive to fight"), and disposed of in a sealed container, they can actually make you more likely to catch the virus.

* Well, it's a description of the profession, not actually a personal attribute......

If I don't catch it it won't be a problem. If I do catch it, given my age and constitution, it will probably kill me.

Either way there's not much I can do about it so I just keep calm and carry on

;-)
I'm not old (in my 50s now) but I now have 'underlying health problems' and was invalided out of the services last year. It seems that 'flu victims die of the underlying problems. Am I worried? A.little bit; I'm not as invincible as I was.

I am now much more fastidious about washing my hands, especially as I commute on the Tube. But that's about it. We could live for a week or two on what's in the freezer and fridge, after that the cats and dog will look rather tasty!

Food for a couple of weeks is not enough if you or a household member gets it, you probably need a months worth if it swept through your region, clean water could prove difficult to obtain in towns and cities if the main went down,
water purifying tablets are the simple answer.

We live in the sticks so have a supply of diesel, petrol and butane in that would see us through problems. We've just stocked up with a months worth of scran.

If anything did happen, I am going to hate beans.......

I agree in general but I don't recall any difficulties with supply chains after 9/11 or the riots in London (or anywhere else).
Thats because global shipping didnt grind to a half as a consequence of some foreign types nicking teles in London and flying a plane into the twin towers in the US. China's role is the global supply chain was also smaller. This is a bit different IMHO

Need a new option on the vote:

"peed off that it has not lead to a full blown zombie apocalypse as shown in all those documentaries"

Last edited:

Latest Threads