Coronavirus , How Concerned Are You ?

Coronavirus , How Concerned Are You ?

• I`m genuinely concerned and have started to make plans.

• Nothing to worry about , carry on as normal .

• I`ll be staying out of circulation until it dies down.

• I`ve cancelled all travel plans.

• Panic Panic Panic , we are all going to die .

• Time to stock pile food and water .

• I trust the British government to take care of everything.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Talking to a neighbour over the fence [like you do:)], just after lockdown, some of his relatives
went to Sheffield to a funeral, they stopped in Bristol to pick friends, making 6 of them
in all, They have all gone down with the Coronavirus
Gave a like...because I did.
Who have they been around since though......

So you can categorical state 100% of the virus is dead before it is washed away?
No, I can't categorically state that, I am not a biologist, but it has been widely broadcast for at least 5 weeks now that the composition of the virus is such that it has a lipid - that's oil to you - outer shell that is destroyed by soap. That's why we should wash our hands frequently.
How have you not been receiving this information?

In any case, there have been reports that there is a relatively high load of the virus in human excrement, so you can expect any sewerage plant to be a dangerous place to be. I read somewhere (can't find the link now) that tests have shown it remain live for up to 5 days in a settling tank.

BopBopBop

War Hero
No, I can't categorically state that, I am not a biologist, but it has been widely broadcast for at least 5 weeks now that the composition of the virus is such that it has a lipid - that's oil to you - outer shell that is destroyed by soap. That's why we should wash our hands frequently.

In any case, there have been reports that there is a relatively high load of the virus in human excrement, so you can expect any sewerage plant to be a dangerous place to be. I read somewhere (can't find the link now) that tests have shown it remain live for up to 5 days in a settling tank.
Thanks, first time I've seen that about the lipid.

Spent the last five weeks in the garden, up a ladder with a paintbrush or washing my hands.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Sewage is being used as an early marker:

So you can categorical state 100% of the virus is dead before it is washed away?
It's not technically alive. It's destroyed by proper washing though.

FFS; what planet is this guy on!

'Britain has the capability to end the coronavirus pandemic ‘quickly’ and ‘immediately’ by testing each household every week, according to a leading professor.

'The Government has faced heavy criticism over its lack of testing during the crisis, while last week, Health Secretary Matt Hancock claimed the UK will carry out 100,000 tests per day by the end of April. But Professor Julian Peto, a statistician and cancer epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, insists the Government is able to arrange 10 million tests every day if it used every laboratory available in the UK.

‘Local labs are helping local GPs to get samples tested and getting NHS workers tested because there aren’t enough testing facilities,’ Professor Peto told Sky News. ‘But if you could test everybody in the country once a week you could simply stop the epidemic immediately and we could all go back to work.'

E2A: particularly in light of this!

'The world could be months away from identifying a functional coronavirus antibody test which would allow millions of people to return to work, a scientific advisor to Boris Johnson's government has warned, dashing hopes that one could be rolled out within weeks.

'The UK government plans to roll out antibody testing in order to give people the opportunity to be granted "immunity passports" and leave the coronavirus lockdown early. However, none of the world's leading industrial nations have yet identified a working test.

'Professor John Bell, a professor of medicine at Oxford University tasked with assessing the effectiveness of various antibody tests, said on Sunday that the tests the government have looked at so far do not work and that a large-scale solution would take "at least a month" to develop. "Sadly, the tests we have looked at to date have not performed well," he wrote in a blog published on the Oxford University website.

'Professor John Newton, who is in charge of scaling up Britain's coronavirus testing, said on Sunday that the test kits Britain had ordered from China do not work. The UK government ordered 3.5 million of them last week, but Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday: "We still don't have any that are good enough." It contradicts claims made by Professor Sharon Peacock, director of the National Infection Service at Public Health England, who claimed last week that home-testing kits for the coronavirus could be available "within days" to order from Boots or Amazon.'

Last edited:
[Pragmatic mode]
Every school, college, science laboratory; every works/building site; every manufacturing facility; must have cupboards stuffed with protective "goggles"; but, I must have missed the request that they all be sent off to the nearest hospital !!
[/Pragmatic mode]
My school's stock of safety glasses and goggles were bagged up and dropped in to the local hospital this time last week. How much use they will be is debatable but I suppose it's better than nothing.

If we had closed our borders in January to prevent the widespread introduction of the virus into the UK we might still be having some sort of normal life now with no lockdown and our economy ticking over.

In an age where some people need a risk assessment to sit at a desk I'm disappointed the powers that be didn't see this coming, because I did.

As I've said before in one of these threads, inconveniencing a couple of hundred thousand travellers then was preferable to locking down 60M residents now.

We are paying the price now for failing to be decisive in January.
Forgetting about all the pre-symptomatic people who were already travelling here?

Death toll is 5,373 and that's just people who have died in hospital.
You sure about the hospital bit? I thought that deaths in care homes were now being included, hence why there was a big jump in deaths late last week.

The BBC are reporting the 5,373 figure as total deaths in the UK.

Edit - never mind, apparently the figure is almost entirely deaths in hospitals with a few areas including other COVID-19 deaths as well. Positive bit is that is the lowest daily death count since Tuesday by my maths.

Last edited:

BopBopBop

War Hero
Forgetting about all the pre-symptomatic people who were already travelling here?
I know the spread of the virus into the UK could not be stopped completely but it would have really slowed it down and significantly reduced its footprint here.

NHS services could concentrate on identifying and treating the pre-symptomatic persons that had made it back.

It would have stopped UK tourists travelling out to Spain or Italy then bringing it back to close to me. The twats.
It would have stopped people travelling out of the UK then getting marooned and requiring repatriation.

Your name was on my list for 21 days enforced quarantine in one of the prison cells that are now being emptied of criminals.
:eek:

You sure about the hospital bit? I thought that deaths in care homes were now being included, hence why there was a big jump in deaths late last week.

The BBC are reporting the 5,373 figure as total deaths in the UK.

Edit - never mind, apparently the figure is almost entirely deaths in hospitals with a few areas including other COVID-19 deaths as well. Positive bit is that is the lowest daily death count since Tuesday by my maths.
co.JPG

co2.JPG

The drop may be because of the weekend and how the numbers are collated. That is what the thoughts were last Monday. Probably know more tomorrow if there is another sharpe like like last week.

Cheers. Are those graphs pinched off a website or your own work? I was going to make the second one when you posted it.

I'm not sure why the HTML is formatting the spreadsheet like that. put a h in front of this link for the full version

ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTKeK9vRxgw0KhvKxPCaDrfaHnxQP-n9TsLzsEymviY/html

mcphee1948

War Hero
Worth sticking your experiences on the symptoms thread - one of the biggest challenges at the moment is working out what might constitute Coronavirus and what might not..

Although the government/NHS has rightly concentrated on the respiratory, the panoply of symptoms seems to cover: nothing, loss of taste and smell, mild cold symptoms, headaches and fever, body aches and pains, respiratory issues (usually the most serious category), conjunctivitis, diarrhoea and a general feeling of fatigue...
It's not technically alive. It's destroyed by proper washing though.
Hasn't there long been some debate, in scientific circles, about whether viruses are actually "alive". Or just a kind of organic poison?

Cheers. Are those graphs pinched off a website or your own work? I was going to make the second one when you posted it.
You must be REALLY bored !!

How many days in lockdown now?! ;) .

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hasn't there long been some debate, in scientific circles, about whether viruses are actually "alive". Or just a kind of organic poison?
Isn't that a linguistic problem? What do you mean by 'alive'?

Latest Threads