Coronavirus , How Concerned Are You ?

Coronavirus , How Concerned Are You ?

• I`m genuinely concerned and have started to make plans.

• Nothing to worry about , carry on as normal .

• I`ll be staying out of circulation until it dies down.

• I`ve cancelled all travel plans.

• Panic Panic Panic , we are all going to die .

• Time to stock pile food and water .

• I trust the British government to take care of everything.

Results are only viewable after voting.
1585429739851.png

1585432976204.png

One of my neighbours was taken to hospital in the night with suspected Covid-19.

I hear he’s been put on one of the new Dyson ventilators and is now picking up nicely...

2000+ dead in the US, and States beginning to question their loyalty to each other.

Did the UK do enough when this was flagged in the Economist back in January?

@Ortholith - you should check out Peter Hitchens latest opinion piece on the current lock-down measures. It's certainly food for thought (and although I'm left of centre, I still appreciate a lot of what he has to say).

Jerry Tumbler

Old-Salt
Example of social distancing, even on a ferry:

zzsocial distancing 28032020.jpg

Scene: people on bicycles who all keep their distance (Rotterdam-NL, yesterday). With also these adverts. from the Spanish Flu (1918/1919) in mind, riding a bike is rather safe, and again the main means of transport in this country.

Last edited:
Example of social distancing, even on a ferry:

View attachment 460809

Scene: people on bicycles who all keep their distance (Rotterdam-NL, yesterday). With also these adverts. from the Spanish Flu (1918/1919) in mind, riding a bike is rather safe, and again the main means of transport in this country.
Nice image, but does that not reduce the "maximum number of persons" that the ferry can take? Not disagreeing with the principle but I foresee some differences of opinions when the ferry operator says "not economically viable to make the crossing until we get more passengers"

Jerry Tumbler

Old-Salt
@Dicky Ticker. The ferry operators have to continue as today the majority of their passengers have vital jobs (commuters like medics, supermarket employes, cops, nurses, etc.)
It helps that the majority of the communities are owner of ferries.
But, like today in Italy, fuel stations with private owners may become a problem, because of a lack of customers. However, they also have to stay open because of the vital services (ambulances, police, etc.).

Last edited:
Nice image, but does that not reduce the "maximum number of persons" that the ferry can take? Not disagreeing with the principle but I foresee some differences of opinions when the ferry operator says "not economically viable to make the crossing until we get more passengers"
Planes (the few internal ones still flying), ferries and train booking operatives in Spain are only allowed to sell one third of the available seats on their transport to ensure the social distancing (what weird words we are coming up with) is maintained.
Taxis with five seats are only allowed one passenger who must sit in the rear on the opposite side of the driver, large mini bus type taxis can only take one passenger per row who must sit staggered. Buses must have the row behind the driver kept clear and then one passenger per row, again staggered.

If any of this works I'll be ghastly flabbered.

@Ortholith - you should check out Peter Hitchens latest opinion piece on the current lock-down measures. It's certainly food for thought (and although I'm left of centre, I still appreciate a lot of what he has to say).
I agree with him on his assessment of the need for lockdown measures, reporting of deaths and the impact of these measures on people who would otherwise have been fine. If he'd just stuck to that without the suggestions this is the first step to a dictatoship along the lines of Stalin's USSR it would actually have been a good piece of writing.

With that said, my opinion of the current lockdown measures hasn't changed. I might not agree with them being implemented in the first place but now they are in place everyone should follow them. If not then there will probably be greater restrictions which will be enforced more strictly as has already happened in France, Italy and some parts of Germany.

Last edited:

Latest Threads