Coronavirus , How Concerned Are You ?

Coronavirus , How Concerned Are You ?

• I`m genuinely concerned and have started to make plans.

• Nothing to worry about , carry on as normal .

• I`ll be staying out of circulation until it dies down.

• I`ve cancelled all travel plans.

• Panic Panic Panic , we are all going to die .

• Time to stock pile food and water .

• I trust the British government to take care of everything.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is the media over reacting and milking it or should we start getting concerned and take precautions ?

I`m starting to take it very seriously , an international trade fair in Germany has just been cancelled.

Is the media over reacting and milking it or should we start getting concerned and take precautions ?

I`m starting to take it very seriously , an international trade fair in Germany has just been cancelled.
I am more worried about schools being shut down here for an extended period of time and the economic crunch that will follow and take a while to sort out.

My only concern is for my parents who are elderly , otherwise if you are fit and healthy it seems to be no worse than manflu .
So far yes, but if that changes it might make it a bit harder for the medical professionals to deal with. It does not take long for hospitals to get overwhelmed with genuine cases and hypochondriacs.

Slightly miffed about the stock market fall and have double checked my travel insurance for later in the year.
Seems to be a fairly treatable/surviveable illness. Would be more concerned if it mutated and the death rate increases.

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
It certainly makes the news more exciting than Brexit ever was, but this isn't how I'm going to die.

I see some short term inconvenience from the current overreaction. It'll disappear from the media before you know it and be quickly forgotten like all the other previous crises.

The stock market adjustment will turn out to be a good buying opportunity in the long term - "buy the fear and sell the greed" as they say

I`ll be staying out of circulation until it dies down. Mostly because I now have flu thanks too RD and E Hospital, being a bit behind the curve on imposing isolation on a ward only after they discharged the flu bucket... FFS.

I am somewhere between "I`m genuinely concerned and have started to make plans." and "Nothing to worry about , carry on as normal." It depends on what you mean by "plans".

The IWA has a very wide international attendance, I have met nationalities from Russians to Brazilians. Quite a few Choggies attend to both display and spy with cameras to see what they can copy next - the Choggies doing the displaying seem to mainly be showing airsoft quality tactical goods.

I wonder if they will do it later in the year, or just leave it to next year? Be a shame for some small businesses as it is their only showcase.

I’m more concerned with people overreacting than about any direct effect of the virus itself. Social media has become the boy who cried wolf and there are to many fcuking idiots who take what they read as fact and then spread it more.

I live in the middle of nowhere and already have a habit of when l go to the shops to keep my gloves on the entire time, l don’t visit much during the winter months, and avoid anyone with even the slightest sniffle, so l feel relatively safe. My method may be a bit of paranoia to some, but I hadn’t had a cold or flu of any sort since the winter of 2003/4 and only got one this year due to a unavoidable visit to the emergency.

The main worry l have is if someone who works directly in the food chain comes down with the virus and not caught out before passing it on. I have seen what a virus can do to an entire flock of laying hens, 10 000 birds out of the market place makes an impact, and that’s just from a single farm.

With living in tornado country I have a months worth of food in the house most of the time anyway. Yes, we have tornados, the wife's boss had his roof half lifted off a few months ago when one hit and it destroyed the house behind him and his neighbours.

I'm fixing up a new house so I am away from people all day anyway, the Mrs can work from home if needed and the lad will get sent home from school if it kicks off.

We are supposed to be doing a minor road trip in about a week along part of Route 66, not many people until we hit hotels at night.

The planned summer holiday was europe, particularly Italy to let the wife look at some old fallen down buildings and statues of dead people. SWMBO commented t'other day that it would probably not be happening............could have knocked me down with a feather.

I think the attitude of the mainstream media, the fear and sensationalism they are propagating among the hard of thinking is reckless to be honest. Folk with genuine problems finding it harder to be seen due to the cognitively challenged overwhelming their GPs, A & Es etc. Quality.

I'm still not worried about it and I fly to and from Europe every week. Each year winter flu kills between 250000 and 690000 people worldwide every damned year yet week don't quarantine towns, and flap about transmission.

OneTenner

War Hero
...The main worry l have is if someone who works directly in the food chain comes down with the virus and not caught out before passing it on. ...
That's a real concern to me too, we already bake our own bread ( in reality, anything that goes over 56 deg. C for a couple of minutes is pretty much bacteria / virus free IIRC) but raw foods and cooked foods that are packaged after cooking are a potential infection vector. Cheese, fruit, cooked meats and veg to be eaten uncooked are off the menu for now - well, at least the stuff we have to buy in. My secondary concern is mixing with the 'great British public' in the supermarkets - i've got a couple of 3M respirators with organic filters (6051 if you're interested) that may well be used for the shopping trip on Saturday... Might have to do a 'Four Lions' and start buying twelve bottles of bleach at a time ;-)

I posted this on one of the other threads which is the mrs went to hospital yesterday for follow up ‘well woman’ tests and the consultant and nurse said before they even started ‘it’s going to snow heavily in Hertfordshire and we’d recommend you stocked up on food and provisions for 2 weeks.’ Then they did the consultation. As she left - 3 hours later.... they said ‘can we remind you about the heavy snow that will restrict travel and block roads so make sure you stock up for 2 weeks’.

The mrs said just had a very odd conversation then told me the dit. I said to her hospital can’t advise you that you need to stock up cause of the virus but that’s what you have quietly been told.

one of our lads in Switzerland has been trying to get hold of a prospective client and the business partner about a deal and has been getting no response. I’ve pinged them in Italy and also tried to get hold of them via the UK. Nothing. Very odd as we are close to contract and the business partner is making money from our deal.

I’m not a conspiracist but I feel we’ve been fibbed to and the data coming out of China. something doesn’t stack up.

The big risk is not the virus. The risk is the global supply chain grinds to a halt. There is major disruption but it’s not visible. Yet.

risk of panic buying currently? Low.

news of supply chain problems causing panic buying? Low to medium, but nearer low. If there is a problem it will go from low to high within hours.

Is it stupid to stockpile essentials quietly? I don’t think so as none of it will go to waste and I’d rather be sat in the house watching the shit hit the fan with 4 weeks scran in than enough scran for 3-4 days if I empty the cupboards.

not that I am a flapper. It’s all about mitigating risk.

Why would the virus be any more hazardous on the outside of a pack of mince say than on a table in a public area? Also is there any evidence of this particular virus affecting birds or any other food animal?

endure

GCM
If I don't catch it it won't be a problem. If I do catch it, given my age and constitution, it will probably kill me.

Either way there's not much I can do about it so I just keep calm and carry on

;-)

OneTenner

War Hero
Why would the virus be any more hazardous on the outside of a pack of mince say than on a table in a public area? Also is there any evidence of this particular virus affecting birds or any other food animal?
Depends on your eating tastes - if you like eating bats or other weird foods, it may be a concern. A virus or bacteria will live / multipy better on organic matter than it will on the outside packaging of the organic matter - but I take your point(?) that handling of the packages by infected persons (Coronavirus or other infections) is just as good a transmission vector as the contents of the package, dependent on the lifespan of the virus / bacteria on such a surface.

Also is there any evidence of this particular virus affecting birds or any other food animal?
Poultry the same as other birds, can pick up the common cold as well as most varieties of virus’s that humans can get, we practice bio-security for exactly that reason.

Latest Threads