Coronavirus: Health Secretary Matt Hancock issues call for 250,000 NHS volunteers

As I write this I realise that it might come over as selfish, but there's something to be aware of that some of the thousands of volunteers might not consider.

If you use your private car for the purposes stated earlier in the thread, it might be worth talking to your insurers before you start, to make sure you have the correct class of motor insurance in place. If you have an accident while carrying out these duties, it will have to be declared to your insurers, and could affect your renewal price.

Just a thought, and before anyone asks, no I'm not pretending to be an insurance expert. If anyone has better information, or if I'm incorrect, I'll not take offence to being put right.

I thought about it, looked at the registration page - which could be more intuitive.

But decided against it for the very reason I might end up being asked to deliver food / medicine etc to the fu&&&&& miserable old bastards the live in the vicinity - the old adage from my extensive military experience "do not volunteer" - kicked in

However I may reconsider if there are medals involved

Archie

pooky

Old-Salt
I have heard that there is an announcement due in the next couple of days regarding DBSs.....if recruiting specifically due to Covid-19 there will be a fast-track system and waiver of fee (currently around £50.00).

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Me and the missus both signed up this morning - relatively straight forward application process, but as others have said, the DBS process may throw a spanner in the works.
I understand the requirement for DBS, but not convinced it actually achieves much apart from generating a huge amount of money for the Government.
As an example, when my missus retired early to look after our grandchildren, we were both required to complete a DBS as our residence was deemed to be a childcare environment - to look after our own grandchildren ffs!
We were then obliged to pay an annual fee, to ensure our DBS was in date.
When I retired last year, I took on an exam invigilator role at the local 6th Form College - DBS required, fair enough. Could our DBS already in place be used as proof? Oh no, a completely new application had to be submitted - this time paid for by the College.
Someone is doing alright out of the whole DBS system - no wonder it has a backlog!
Apparently, you need a DBS (or Disclosure Scotland as was) for each position. I have a SIA licence that needs DBS and gets checked every 3 years for that purpose, I also used to be part of a casting agency which suddenly required a DBS just in case you get to work with children (shudder), I asked if the DBS I had 3 months previously was any good, the answer was no, I need a seperate one for them, so jacked in a nice little earner!

I’ve signed up as a community First Responder.

As I write this I realise that it might come over as selfish, but there's something to be aware of that some of the thousands of volunteers might not consider.

If you use your private car for the purposes stated earlier in the thread, it might be worth talking to your insurers before you start, to make sure you have the correct class of motor insurance in place. If you have an accident while carrying out these duties, it will have to be declared to your insurers, and could affect your renewal price.

Just a thought, and before anyone asks, no I'm not pretending to be an insurance expert. If anyone has better information, or if I'm incorrect, I'll not take offence to being put right.
Not so mon brave:

Not so mon brave:
Thanks for posting the link and info. I's hopefully just me, but clicking on the link freezes my PC and jumps into adverts for the Health Lottery*.

* Other rip-offs are available.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Is this going to continue in the long term? I think there are local groups of volunteer drivers. There is in my local area so I assume it is the same everywhere. There must be things other than driver volunteers could do.

Is the DBS checking process slowed down by current events?
Done

I have a current DBS so no problem with that ( was in the process of getting my SC renewed when the curtain came down).

Turns out that the banner under which these 250,000 merry souls will be corralled is the old Royal Voluntary Service ( no-longer-(W)RVS.)

Founded in 1938 as WVS, the charity mobilised over one million volunteers to help with almost every aspect of wartime life. Today, Royal Voluntary Service still inspires and enables people to give the gift of voluntary service to meet the needs of the day.

Never has that been more important than now, when we find ourselves in frightening and challenging times with the impact of COVID-19 .

Royal Voluntary Service has been supporting the NHS since it’s birth in 1948 and we are delighted you have stepped forward to be part of this by running shopping errands and medication collection. We want to ensure we are able to support the NHS during this challenging time and may ask you to support in other ways if you are able.

Their heritage includes at least one George Medal recipient.

From the welcome pack:

' Please also be aware that we are not planning to start any volunteering until after the 31st of March 2020. '

Once cleared,you are asked to download an app from Google Play / Apple

There are three roles envisaged:
- Check in and Chat - telephone support
- Community Response Volunteer
- NHS Transport Volunteer

If you use your private car for the purposes stated earlier in the thread, it might be worth talking to your insurers before you start, to make sure you have the correct class of motor insurance in place.
You'll be pleased to hear that the guidance for Transport volunteers has a short section on this:

All individuals that are willing to drive their own vehicles for Royal Voluntary Service must read the information below and confirm that they have the following arrangements in place:
  • I have informed my insurance company of the fact that I will use my vehicle for volunteering for the Royal Voluntary Service.
  • I confirm that the vehicle being used is roadworthy as outlined by UK law, has a valid MOT certificate where appropriate and is taxed for use on the roads.
  • I confirm that the Driving license I have uploaded to my profile is accurate at the date of this application

If you are interested in any of these, there is a .pdf covering each role. PM me an email address.

My mates are now happily engaged in sledging me about being too old and decrepit to be of use to even the RVS....watch & shoot :)

Last edited:
Does this whole thing lead into resurrecting the idea of a proper civil defence corps?

ok, perhaps not the glamour of the past with overalls and yellow armbands, poised to begin rescue people from collapsed buildings or firefighting with green goddesses... But an actual force of volunteers with identified skills and roles for use in a national emergency?

Does this whole thing lead into resurrecting the idea of a proper civil defence corps?

ok, perhaps not the glamour of the past with overalls and yellow armbands, poised to begin rescue people from collapsed buildings or firefighting with green goddesses... But an actual force of volunteers with identified skills and roles for use in a national emergency?
Anyone can volunteer, no skills required.

Yokel

LE
On another thread, I posed the question of local authorities collecting lists of possible volunteers to help out in an emergency - for example people with construction skills or by four wheel drive vehicles. Others might be good at organising, doing emergency admin type work, catering 'in the field' or whatever.

If we had a national database of possible volunteers, people could be invited to be part of the response by text message.

On another thread, I posed the question of local authorities collecting lists of possible volunteers to help out in an emergency - for example people with construction skills or by four wheel drive vehicles. Others might be good at organising, doing emergency admin type work, catering 'in the field' or whatever.

If we had a national database of possible volunteers, people could be invited to be part of the response by text message.
Good idea but a nightmare to keep up to date.

• I have informed my insurance company of the fact that I will use my vehicle for volunteering for the Royal Voluntary Service.
This may be relevant to some. Tesco Car Insurance state that any one involved in this NHS Responder initiative is fully covered under their existing policy.

This may be relevant to some. Tesco Car Insurance state that any one involved in this NHS Responder initiative is fully covered under their existing policy.
All the car insurance companies have been told to cover volunteers on voluntary duties.

www.serveon.org.uk An excellent group with an International USAR team, and community resilience teams in Salisbury and Portsmouth, many deployments national and international.

Yokel

LE
Good idea but a nightmare to keep up to date.
Yes but it would be a voluntary thing people would opt in to, so the onus would be on them. Local authorities do manage to keep the electoral register up to date. It will never be 100% accurate, but it could because source of additional manpower and expertise.

How do the RNLI and so forth keep tabs on volunteers?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I have tried to join the temporary register having left nursing less than 3 years ago. Heard nowt.

Yokel

LE
I have tried to join the temporary register having left nursing less than 3 years ago. Heard nowt.
I thought that they were keen to get retired medical and nursing professionals back onboard as soon as possible? Is this just an administrative issue?

Do you have to re-register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council before you can practice?

Latest Threads