Corona virus tinfoil hat thread

endure

GCM
Our local Aldi is refusing to sell more than 4 of anything to customers at the moment.

A thought that occurred today when in Tesco and watching people pushing trolleys full of stuff- what is going to happen in the next 50 years or so when the majority of antibiotics are useless against resistant strains of bacteria?

From memory I don't think any new classes of antibiotics have been developed in the last 30 years. MRSA is now resistant to just about everything apart from vancomycin and that will only work for so long.

endure

GCM
A thought that occurred today when in Tesco and watching people pushing trolleys full of stuff- what is going to happen in the next 50 years or so when the majority of antibiotics are useless against resistant strains of bacteria?

From memory I don't think any new classes of antibiotics have been developed in the last 30 years. MRSA is now resistant to just about everything apart from vancomycin and that will only work for so long.

They're using AI to develop new antibiotics.

They put my old mum on that for C Diff after all the broad spectrum stuff failed to do it. It worked but it must have been like a course of chemo. It knocked her for six.

They say that the main reason that new antibiotics are not being produced is because there's no money in it for the big pharma. They like churning out stuff that's going to be used long term for life long conditions (ie plenty of repeat business).

They say that the main reason that new antibiotics are not being produced is because there's no money in it for the big pharma. They like churning out stuff that's going to be used long term for life long conditions (ie plenty of repeat business).
It's pretty much right. The rough estimate for developing a new drug and bringing it to market was a billion dollars when I was looking at working for GSK a decade ago. To get that investment back you need lots of people to buy the drug when it's still within patent. Curing an infection within a month doesn't translate to a guaranteed cash flow.

Most 'new' antibiotics are minor tweaks to existing drugs or adding other compounds to work around resistance. All of which means that we are currently in a golden age of medicine and things are due to go seriously tits up within this century.

Am sure MRSA happened in hospitals because they stopped using phenol . Carbolic soap kills everything

Am sure MRSA happened in hospitals because they stopped using phenol . Carbolic soap kills everything
That's the bloody COSHH assessments for you. Our cleaners aren't allowed to use bleach down the toilets. Hospitals used to smell clean in the 70's.

That's the bloody COSHH assessments for you. Our cleaners aren't allowed to use bleach down the toilets. Hospitals used to smell clean in the 70's.
Wasn't COSHH, carbolic was the go-to communal hand soap, was withdrawn in English institutions from the 70s and Scottish institutions from the 80s. I still remember the smell of phenol in a hospital in 1991

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The TV has been dire. They have been caught out by the cancelling of sport and have struggled to put decent programmes on as replacements.

I foresee months of replays, made up crap 500 most frightening adverts or the like! Just as well I have quite a few books to read.

The TV has been dire. They have been caught out by the cancelling of sport and have struggled to put decent programmes on as replacements.

I foresee months of replays, made up crap 500 most frightening adverts or the like! Just as well I have quite a few books to read.
So why aren't you reading them now, Senōr Book Reviewer?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If I had known all of those “If you could only eat one food ...” and “If you had to be stranded with just three people ...” posts were not purely hypothetical, I would have given them more thought. Because now, I think I want to change some of my answers.

My mum was a nurse in the 50's and 60's. She has said to me in the past that the wards were run like a military barracks. It was the resposibility of the nurses to clean the wards not some minimum wage monkey . The wards were inspected daily by the matron.
There's clean and there's medical clean.
I realise that times have changed and not only do we not have enough nurses to clean the wards, but also their time seems to be spent filling in paperwork and meeting targets.

Latest Threads