Corned Beef....

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Praetorian, Aug 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone else get a metallic taste in the mouth, not unlike corned beef when running?

Im at a loss to know what it is, and i'm just learning to deal with it, but am concerned in case its a combat indicator of health issues etc.

Replies awaited,

Prae

2. A metallic taste everynow and again acompanied with a bit of hacking up from the old lungs? Get that myself now and again.

3. Yep! Just wondering what the bloody hell it is!

4. It's syphilis and gonorrhea combined at an advanced stage. You've got days to live if not hours. :D

5. Must have caught a scraping from the shoulder of your jacket then shippers!

6. Lactic acid should be the answer

7. I've been having a look around and it seems a lot of people have it and there are all kinds of theories popping up from what I'm reading from pollution to capillaries in the lungs going pop. From what I've read it's a common thing though and nobody seems to worry about it.

I'll tear up my biff chit. :(

8. Are you trying to say he has got big tits?

9. I did warn you!

Could it be exercise induced anaphylaxis?

10. Sure? Lactic Acid usually starts in the legs before the mouth, and this happens irregularly, but always while exercising.

Actually, its only really when running, not cycling, swimming etc....

11. It's the same with the rest, they say it only happens whilst running and when they have been pushing theirselves, which to me includes going up a gentle incline, so mine could just be a simple heart attack really. :)

12. lactic acid is produced when there isnt enough oxygen to break down the glucose. It provides sustained energy for 2-3 minutes when doing an intense workout (where there is little oxygen for the breaking down) when the workout becomes less intense and oxygen more available it will provide continues energy.
    As for where it appears in the body- it will produce where the muscles require the extra energy.
    Hope this helps. spellings are all over the place but hopefulyl you get the idea

13. to the point of the taste, since glucose is being broken down by the acid it will leave a disticive taste in your mouth when your saliva(glucose) comes up

14. So this is where that metallic taste is appearing then, we are not dying? :)

15. poop...and there's me thinking we've got some interesting little snippets on corned dog! :roll: oh well, back to work......