Core fitness equals survivability?

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by 02FD11, Sep 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Morning - Not sure if this is the right forum but with the recent BBC Our War series and the Para Olympics I started to wonder if any research has been done into the prior fitness levels of soldiers who have survived traumatic injuries and if so is this influencing fitness programmes in the military, or am I over simplifying matters? Probably the latter!

Thanks 02
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I should think that's been an area of study for over a century.

Here's one pdf.

Google is your friend.

ABSTRACT Background: Physical fitness and physical conditioning have long been valued by the military for their
    roles in enhancing mission-specific performance and reducing risk of injury in the warfighter. It is not known whether
    physical fitness plays a causal role in attenuating acute military stress reactions or the evolution of post-traumatic stress
    disorder. Objective: The objective of this study was to determine whether physical fitness inñuences the impact of
    stressful events during military survival training in 31 men. Methods: Participants self-reported their most recent
    Physical Readiness Test scores and completed a trait anxiety measure before survival training. Participants also
    completed the Impact of Events Scale (lES) 24 hours after training. Results: Aerobic fitness was inversely associated
    with the total IES score (p < 0.01, adjusted R^ = 0.19). When adjusted for trait anxiety, this relationship was
    substantially attenuated and no longer significant (p = 0.11). Trait anxiety was inversely associated with aerobic fitness
    (p < 0.05) and positively related to IES (p < 0.001). Conclusions: Physical fitness may buifer stress symptoms
    secondary to extreme military stress and its effects may be mediated via fitness-related attenuations in trait anxiety.

and thousands of others:
  3. Thanks for the links - I have been out for over a decade and I am sure that much has changed in that time but for 22 years all my military exercise seemed to be geared towards passing a BFT and latterly the CFT;for upper body or core strength we were pretty much left to our own devices.
  4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Sheer survivability may also have something to do with rapid access to top-notch medical care, well-trained mates, etc. In a car crash, or when falling off a horse, or whatever, it's unlikely that you'll have a Team Medic nearby, nor a MERT Chinook on call :)
  5. The US did research post Vietnam conflict, which concluded that the increased survivability percentage of combatants from that war compared to previous conflicts, was largely due to the advent of the helicopter and it`s ability to get wounded personnel to proper medical facilities quickly.
  6. Thanks for the input above and I understand the correlation between well trained muckers and a quick dustoff - I guess what I'm driving at is - has 10 years of unbroken combat operations made those in muscle towers rethink about how PT is carried out i.e. is it more focussed/scientific around preparing your body for the worst case scenarios (if you can) or still all about passing the BFT or PFT as I think it is now called?
  7. PFA & AFT (CFT) are now the current tests with Operational Fitness Tests (OFTs) designed for Pre-Deployment Trg.