Cops Violate the Sanctity of Parliament....Again

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by MrPVRd, Jan 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems like some daft MP handed over a letter on request, rather than saying "out of my gaff, copper, and don't come back till you've got a warrant".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7843578.stm

2. Before any of our friends in blue take umbrage at the title of this thread, it is tongue-in-cheek.

3. I'd be outraged if someone came into my office and took my envelope containing my weekly ration of Persil too!

4. I'd be outraged if my parents named me Ed Balls.

5. His childhood can't have been much fun.

6. No warrant required to ask to see a letter. No warrant required to search the office of someone arrested for an indictable offence. Don't know why MPs think they're so special; the law applies to everyone.

7. They pass the 'Acts of PArliament' that constitute the laws then get annoyed when they are used against them. Maybe they should think about writing sub-sections in the laws they pass up to the House of Lords saying something like 'except when concerning members of parliament'.

8. Isn't that what they're trying to do with their exemtion from FOI

9. From what I understand, the police only need a search warrant if the occupier does not agree to them conducting a search. The police officer concerned was one of the police stationed at Parliament and did not want to search the MP's office. He asked the sniveling MP if he could have a letter from a constituent and the worthless piece of **** gave it to the copper then stood in the Chamber and then complained. I think this guy is a perfect example of the lack of moral fibre of some of our MPs.

10. Yes, it was. Gordon backed down though after Dave refused to support his dastardly deeds.

For a real laugh, have a look at the various finance acts. Every one of them has a clause at the end exempting MPs from tax on their expenses and allowances.

11. quite, I never really understood why there was such a hoo-ha over that search on Damien Green...and I don't know why the media never pointed this out...

12. The MP in question wasn't under arest, so how does PACE apply here?

Or does it have a hiden clause that says that if someone is arrested, the Police can search wherever they like, for as long as they can be bothered?

13. Damien Green was arrested. Hence Section 18 applies to his office.

Here, they just asked to see a letter, and being a good citizen the MP in question obliged.

14. F**k me......did not you not gather that perhaps some people don't like the idea of the Police being called in investigate a "crime" that every single MP has committed? I seem to recall one MP boasting on TV in the 80's about the "crime" he was committing as often as possible. That MP is now the lackwit in charge.......

The "Crime" in question? Making the Government of the day look stupid by leaking documents that show that they have lied, or faked it, or told half truths, or made it up....Normal political practise.

Note that NO mention of actual charges has yet to be annouced.....

15. BZ - We do not know that the crime that Green was arrested for was a crime. Neither by the looks of things did the senior policeman who authorised the edge of legality search of his Commons office (wasn't he in the running for Blairs job and was he reacting to a complaint from the man who has a great deal of say in who gets that job).

Parliament is special and the members of parliament have to have special privileges in order to do their job. This doesn't mean that they are above the law but is does mean that when the police have to deal with them in parliament the police should be careful.

The same could be said for the police force themselves.

In this instance the police claim they had arranged an interview and the MP handed the document to them.

He says that by giving them them the letter he had to live with it for the rest of his life. Perhaps he should look up Duty in the dictionary.