Copper question

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Twinkle_Toes, Aug 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 24 and would like some careers advice, I currently work in admin and am thinking of joining the Military Police, the careers adviser wasn't as helpful as I hoped and wonder if anyone can give me any advice on what to expect if I do join, e.g. main duties, tours, training ect and how the role differs from that of a civvi copper (other than policing squaddies)

Thanks for any help given.

2. Twinkle_Toes Stand by for some really informative and helpful advice. :wink:

3. Oh no! Please be gentle with me, iv seen how some of these forums end up! This is a serious question though, iv worked in an office for years and its as boring as hell.

iv applied for civvy coppers but for some reason half of Britain also want to recreate scenes from “The Bill” and I’m out of luck. Iv always been interested in the forces but never known that much about it, if anyone serving in the MP at the min could give some advice id be grateful.

4. As ex-army (although admittedly not RMP) and now civi copper, I would say that comparing the two is not at all comparing like for like (my own opinion anyway). Although there may be some similarities between RMP and civi polis with regards workload, they're different worlds in the grand scheme. My tuppence worth? Do both. The cut off age for the army is a lot lower than that for the police so get yourself in there. If you like it, stay. If not then get out and apply for the police in a few years. You'll certainly be no worse off for the experience.

6. What ever!

The RMP was a good step for me... I was a VT from the Infantry...

I found the RMP offered me lots of different avenues.

I did a year and a half of General Police Duties in Catterick/Kosovo, then I did my Close protection course and did tours with the FCO and in N.Ireland. It was awesome.

I am now Canadian civi police. I found that the RMP prepared me for my new job and some.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my time in the infantry. I know loads of blokes that still enjoy digging Milan trenches at 30 (not this call sign). Each to his own.

It's up to you really. Ask if you can do an attachment with your local RMP unit. If you don't like it then think about something else... It's better to try and fail than it is to fail to try...

Stagging on a gate or driving around in a warm police car? was the question I asked myself.

Real Regiment????

7. you are sad.

8. You have time to think this over anyway. No places for RMP till April 07.

9. I am in the same situation as you and posted a similar question, Link below.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=44437.html

Try reading some of the other threads in this area aswell theres lots of crap but some helpful comments in there as well.

11. How many 'I'm thinking about joining the RMP' threads are there going to be?

Is this the same child who started the last 2 over in the AGC forum?

12. No its not, sorry if its getting boring. Thanks for all the help off everyone though.