Cop killed in Glasgow police station firearms incident

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by theylie, Nov 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tragic either way.
  2. The former, I'm guessing.
  3. Cheers for that Columbo.
    • Like Like x 8
  4. Not my most insightful post ever (now that I've thought about it) that's for sure. Must stop posting after getting up off nights.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Just on the news now, apparently a suicide but L&B investigating

Apologies still open whether ND or self inflicted. Shit for friends and family either way.
  6. Worked with the deceased, he was ex services. About as much as I can say.

Sad days.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. A tragic situation.

8. Always very sad, probably thought doing it there would cause the least inconvenience especially to family. Still shit though
  9. I don't care if it was an accident or suicide.

RIP Bro.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. I can't find it right now, but recently saw an item stating that HMG are concerned at the rate of police officers suicides in the last 10 years (55 if I recall) That, by any standards, is a horrendous figure. I make no further comment, and leave you to your own conclusions
    RIP Brother. Safe in yours.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Put it like this, when I left in 2005 I went straight to Iraq to train their Cops. Suffice to say, it was considerably less stressful than being a DC in my homeforce (Kent). At least in Iraq, when someone tried to stab you in the back you got to shoot the *******.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Err I'd say if your numbers are right that's less than 6 a year. Given the number of police officers there are that would be below average. So the conclusion I will draw is that most Police Officers are well paid professionals and a few get into emotional problems and take a cowards way out.

Also what's all this "Brother"? Are you American?
  13. Suicide I reckon.. shame, as deppression affects everyone of us, just some people react diffrently to things going on in thier lives than others. Happens in all walks of life, no story.. walk along now please.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. A potential rise in police officers committing suicide was discussed at the Health and Safety subcommittee
    meeting recently. Serious concerns were highlighted to the sub-committee that police officers were being driven to suicide by their increasing workload which was leading tohigh levels of stress. The increasing pressure for police officers to effectively do more work with fewer resources is having a detrimental impact on their health and well-being.

Figures released from the Office of National Statistics show that in the last three years a total of 55 police officers, including inspector ranks and above together with sergeants and below, within England and Wales committed

In 2009: 15 police officers ended
    their lives

In 2010: 23 police officers ended
    their lives

In 2011: 17 police officers ended
    their lives

The sub-committee made it clear that outside help from key advisers is needed ‘before police officers committing suicide becomes pandemic’. The committee is proposing a need to establish more guidelines and to create a greater awareness of the supportive information which is available to the police service as a whole.

The ACPO group is currently looking at all aspects surrounding mental health and the committee welcomes an improvement on the effect it has on police officers around the country.
    • Like Like x 3