Cooling while in a vest?

No idea if its any cop.

Good advice already posted.

Keep skin covered, you mention baseball cap, if safe to do so, even just a hanky under the back and hanging over the neck is worth it.

Be aware of heat injury - as with hypothermia, stages of hyperthermia can cause confusion and judgement lapses so play it safe and don't be a hero. Keep water to hand, lots of small amounts, eat and make sure salts & minerals, electrolytes are present.

Keep an eye on any co-workers too.

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
Not ideal due to it affording no protection for the ears and back of the neck. Hope at least it's not of the dryfit type which basically clings to your head, thereby conducting the heat straight into your head.
Not the ideal solution, but until I found a lightweight baseball cap with a built in fabric neck curtain, pieces of kitchen towel hanging from an ordinary one, as a screen worked. However, that only helps for the sun, rather than the humidity and dehydration aspect, but every little helped.
A neck curtain from a hard hat seems standard gear for road gangs working in the heat and unshielded sun in the hot states USA. Again, understood that they are acclimatised.

These were (are?) issued. Not sure if you can wear it, but it might be available in different colours. A bit like when you stick the cold can of coke on the back of your neck:

Neck Cooling Scarf khaki (packed)

A simple but highly effective body cooling product that works by evaporation.

You've got to wear one to really experience and then understand what it can do for you in uncomfortable hot weather conditions

Emerge completely in clean water for approximately 15-25 minutes allows the polycrystals to absorb and retain a large volume of water.

When worn, the retained water evaporates and draws away body heat creating a cooling effect.

The "Cooling" effect is increased by refrigeration. (but not required to still be highly effective)

Keep on reusing the Scarf day in day out, each evening when it cools down rinse off in clean water and allow to reabsorb any water that has evaporated and you're good to go again!!!!!

NATO approved: NSN-8415-99-498-8961

Another vote for HH wicking base layers. It seems counterproductive to wear a t shirt or long sleeve top under a shirt but the lightweight HH tops help wick away moisture so it evaporates. Other brands are available but I found HH the best. HH tops should be your size as they need to be in contact with the skin to be most effective. Tight shirts over the top are no good. Something like polycotton with mesh and vents a little larger than you normally wear helps venting that vapour away.

Prehydrating can help. Wet rather than dry food for breakfast. Broth is good. Eating grapes or other berries gives you slow release water plus natural sugars and Vit C. Fresh orange or apple juice 50/50 with water and just a twist of salt mixed in it works for me but I carry fresh tap water as a minimum. Dextrose tabs are handy. If I'm expecting to sweat, I might carry a cheap bag of salted nuts, as long as I have water to wash them down.

Last edited:

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
Not ideal due to it affording no protection for the ears and back of the neck. Hope at least it's not of the dryfit type which basically clings to your head, thereby conducting the heat straight into your head.
Not the ideal solution, but until I found a lightweight baseball cap with a built in fabric neck curtain, pieces of kitchen towel hanging from an ordinary one, as a screen worked. However, that only helps for the sun, rather than the humidity and dehydration aspect, but every little helped.
A neck curtain from a hard hat seems standard gear for road gangs working in the heat and unshielded sun in the hot states USA. Again, understood that they are acclimatised.
Credit Loofkar et al

Blogg

LE
Strange but true.

The wretches who ponce about in BFO Disney character foam costumes in Florida have a couple of minders trailing them in case they keel over. Some have ice pack vests, but not all.

This has got me thinking, maybe not for this year but I might look in to coolmesh or similar hats. The baseball type hat is great for keeping the sun out of the eyes but can get a bit warm, so I have to take it off now and then to dump some heat. Trying to soak a rain resistant hat won't help.

Utter screamer.

This has got me thinking, maybe not for this year but I might look in to coolmesh or similar hats. The baseball type hat is great for keeping the sun out of the eyes but can get a bit warm, so I have to take it off now and then to dump some heat. Trying to soak a rain resistant hat won't help.
On the one hand I'm not a hat person as far as appearances go, on the other one really needs protection from the sun in these climes and it can get pretty cold for the old bonce in winter.
Therefore my preference (learned from army days) is a boonie hat. This gives the best all round protection to the head and when not needed can be screwed up in one's pocket, so less chance of getting lost. It's also pretty useful for wiping sweat of the forehead/neck etc.
My current fave is the Helikon CPU in civvie colours - Being a civvie I cut off all the uneccessary parts (adjustable inner elastic headband, velcro patch, neck cord and tabs, external camo band, and am left with a very comfy and effective piece of kit.

In winter a fleece watch cap is my preferred gear. It can be pulled down over the ears, as well as stuffed in a pocket when not needed.

On the one hand I'm not a hat person as far as appearances go, on the other one really needs protection from the sun in these climes and it can get pretty cold for the old bonce in winter.
Therefore my preference (learned from army days) is a boonie hat. This gives the best all round protection to the head and when not needed can be screwed up in one's pocket, so less chance of getting lost. It's also pretty useful for wiping sweat of the forehead/neck etc.
My current fave is the Helikon CPU in civvie colours - Being a civvie I cut off all the uneccessary parts (adjustable inner elastic headband, velcro patch, neck cord and tabs, external camo band, and am left with a very comfy and effective piece of kit.

In winter a fleece watch cap is my preferred gear. It can be pulled down over the ears, as well as stuffed in a pocket when not needed.
That looks sensible. The cheap surplus copies are functional but tend to be DPM or OG.
Likewise the Thinsulate watch cap of different weights.

Got a sun hat. Keeps the rays off the the top of the ears, a much neglected area. Hats are there for a reason.

Latest Threads