Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cool maps site with transparency slider thingy.

Been playing around a bit, excellent tool. My previous triangulation got me in the rough area, this gets me bang on. The measure tool is a good bonus, X does indeed mark the spot.

brilliant - we're trying to teach the scouts some local history at the moment and this might just get them a bit more interested.

It's certainly caught my attention!!

It's ace isn't it? Looking at our area years ago makes me wish I lived in the big Manor House surrounded by fields. The peacocks are still here but the house is surrounded by... Shit loads of houses.

Thanks to both @AsterixTG for this and @Welch Man for referencing t'other thread. Barstewards the pair of you!:)

They've both had me entranced for days. However, a question for those who may be more cartographically educated than I am. I've been aware of benchmarks on the ground - or rather on walls - most of my life, but only when being introduced to these pre-WWI six inch OS jobbers have I seen them on maps. 'Crowsfoot', BM and a figure, usually the surveyor having put them somewhere he expected to last, church, coaching inn, etc. On the ground they are Crowsfoot with a line above. He was not always right, and of course he wasn't expecting the devastation of WWII either, but probably the majority remain in place.

Dictionary definition is roughly that of a measured height point, I suppose similar in its way to a trig pillar or spot height, but naturally not on top of pointy lumpy features. Question is: What is the unit of measure? It's shown as a decimal, e.g. 26.9, which if feet above mean sea level seems both too accurate and not accurate enough at the same time. Anybody seen the key to one of those six inchers with the info on?

By the way, it were all fields round 'ere - except for the brewery, also gone. Swine!