Cooking with rotten chicken.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bigjimdangley, Nov 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wotcha!

I found some chicken breast in the bottom of the fridge 4 days past it's sell by date. When I opened the pack, I was greeted by an "iffy" smell.
    So I washed the the pieces, and I intend to make a really hot curry with it. The curry will be on the stove for at least 2 hours simmering with the chicken pieces in it.
    What do'you reckon my chances are?
    Will it be Salmonella central or what?

2. I reckon you'll still be able to taste the "Iffy" bit in it.

I'd bin it or give it to the Mother in law!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Before you eat it, make a will.

4. Salmonella can survive for weeks outside a living body. Salmonella are not destroyed by freezing.[5][6] Ultraviolet radiation and heat accelerate their demise; they perish after being heated to 55 °C (131 °F) for one hour, or to 60 °C (140 °F) for half an hour.[citation needed] To protect against Salmonella infection, it is recommended that food be heated for at least ten minutes at 75 °C (167 °F) so that the centre of the food reaches this temperature.[7][8]

From wikipedia,,simples.....

Might taste odd tho...

5. You know that episode of Spooks where Harry enlists the help of a civvy who has no clue that Harry is a Secret Squirrel? Then the civvy turns out to have such natural talent that Harry offers her a job in MI5?

Well, you're in a similar position. Covert recruiters have been watching you for some time. Congratulations. You have passed the test and I'm now pleased to offer you a post in KFC.

• Like Like x 14
  6. If you leave it on the windowsill you might be able to bag a completely fresh free range cat.

• Like Like x 10
  7. English chickens are vaccinated against salmonella these days. Rotten meat could still give you food poisoning a friend did the same thing. The girl was overjoyed she lost a stone in just a few days.
    I don't tend to go by dates I go by look and smell with meat. Supermarkets re-date food anyway.

8. You might want to put a bog role in the fridge before you eat it, the chicken that is

• Like Like x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  9. Its your guts you are risking, if it was me I'd just chuck it in the bin & get some fresh meat or are you just a tight git that can't stand the thought of having to spend more money to get a nosh?

10. Yep I have long suspected as much with the Tesco near me... We have a lot of chicken on our barbeques and I always get sent to buy it - it never ceases to amaze me how many of the packets on the shelves have big green bits all over them!

Even if the chicken in my fridge looks good and is well within date I always smell it to make sure.

Never take a chance on chicken. My mum left some leftovers in the norweigan keeper warm thingy overnight once - It smelt off to me when it was served to me the next day but unaware that it hadn't been refrigerated I ate it based on the fact that I thought "It can't be off I had some yesterday and saw it being cooked" - I had stupidly assumed it had been properly stored.

What followed was the whole family (bar mum who didn't eat the chicken(!) ) fighting for the loo for
    several days. Not pleasant!

Don't risk it!

11. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Cook and eat it, but first tell your mates so they can put you up for a Darwin Award.

The Darwin Awards

Although you've set your standards low - killing yourself via salmonella is nothing to what you could achieve...

2004 Darwin Award: The Army's a Blast

Wordsmith

12. On a personal level I much prefer Feral Pigeon,,It's cheaper,fresher and you don't have to trek to the supermarket to get one,they are very tasty (watch out for the bits of shot tho)....

For braising the pigeon:
    1kg pigeon (4)
    140g onion (1)
    70g carrot (1)
    100g leek (½)
    20g garlic (3 cloves)
    3 bay leaves
    some parsley stalks
    300ml red wine
    3 tablespoons of olive oil
    For the pie:
    280g onions (2)
    160g mushrooms
    10g parsley
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 tablespoon of brandy
    1 × shortcrust pastry
    6 tablespoons of olive oil
    1 egg
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes
    Cooking Time: 3 hours
    Serves: 4

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. I read a book about the RLI or Selous Scouts (Or some such Rhodi mob) some time ago. On the first day of selection they were shown a very smelly dead monkey with green bits hannging off it - then told it was their dinner.

Apparently if you cook manky meat for 2 hours it kills any nasy bacteria - but they said it still tastes like shite.

14. If it smells funny, it'll taste funny even if you kill all of the bacteria.

Buy some new meat, you pikey.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ignore them all. Eat it raw and consider it a man-test.

• Like Like x 3