Cooking with a BV?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Blind_Pew, Jun 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do you know it’s cooked? :evil:

Big tin of Tomato Soup, left in too long.
    1 x Bent Lid.
    1L x Tomato Soup all over Turret.
    3 x Extra stags to clean up the mess!
  2. It "dings" as the lid of the can goes convex. Thought everyone knew that. Mind you I did the same thing in the kitchen a few years back; thought I would save on the washing up by heating the can in a pan of water. Got engrossed in something on the 'Net....bang; kitchen reeked of tomato soup for ages. :roll:
  3. ObnoxiousJockGit
    The idea was to put a dent in the side of the tin and when the pressure pushed it out it should be cooked.
    I just forgot it was still in there, it’s amazing how far tomato soup will travel in the turret of a Chieftain.
    Shit happens it’s only the depth that varies!
  4. And there was me thinking you'd set the BV on fire to roast an ox over the flames...
  5. Well well the things you learn on this site. You must have looked like you'd just been down on an ARRSE girl in the clutches of a heavy monthly flow.

I'm no expert but wht don't you get a small watch that goes Beep Beep after say 5 mins and then it'll tell you the soups cooked?
  6. Heating food in the can should be avoided. The inside of the can has a thin film applied as part of the manufacturing process. This film is designed to stop the food from being tainted by prolonged exposure to the metal. If you heat the can, the lining delaminates and corrupts the food. Over time this can lead to serious health issues not all of which have so far been identified, but Alzheimers disease is top of the list.
  7. Fecking Chieftain? You work in museum?
  8. But if it makes it taste better ..........??
  9. Good point, and you wont have to worry about your pension either.

Every cloud has a silver lining (and every can has a potentially toxic one)
  10. I was addicted to heating up the tins of fruit pudding in the BV - does that mean I will get Al................ sorry, what was I talking about?
  11. Once tried warming some Cheese possessed once. Suddenly got the"MOVE NOW", forgot. (CVR Striker BV) Cheese blew, BV lid blew off, naplamed the whole sight, my right leg (two man crew at the time Thank Fcuk), Drivers neck, radios etc, Found the tin under the Dvr seat, opened up like a butterfly mine. Ouch, stunk like a itie for weeks.
  12. Some of us are a little older than you are!
    Milk in a tube! etc....
  13. Has anyone actually fried anything in the BV? Or indeed used that inner? In all the years I was in we never did, the thought of cleaning the muck off put me right off. In fact I think we left those inners in the troop store.

Interested of wales
  14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

The tins of compo sausages contained fat, so heating the tin in the BV did in fact fry the sausages.
  15. Ah, milk in tube, eh?

Such sweet memories; a pocket full of those and you could keep going for ages! Trouble was there was never enough bog paper for when you did keep going for ages! :oops: :lol: :lol: