Cooking rice.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SODA, Apr 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some time ago a cook told me how he cooked rice by adding X amount of rice to X amount of boiling water and bunging the whole lot in an insulated container.

He said the rice would be cooked to perfection.

Anybody know what’s the ratio of rice to water and how long does it take?
  2. Don't bother trying to get it spot on, fill a large saucepan three quarters full of water and bring it to a rolling boil, chuck in three handfuls of decent basmati rice per person. Put the kettle on. After nine minutes empty the saucepan into a large sieve, pour boiling water from the kettle over the rice to rinse whatever shit you need to rinse off rice. Drain. Done.
  3. Think the ratio is 1 cup of rice to 1¾ cups of water. If you have washed the rice beforehand only use 1½ cups of water. Cooking time = 7-8 minutes and remember to add a pinch of salt otherwise the rice will have no taste.
  4. x cups of rice to x+(1/3) water. Add rice to the cold water, bring to the boil in a pot with a tight-sealed lid then drop the heat right down to the bare minimum and leave for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave for another 10 until all the water is absorbed.

Perfect every time.
  5. The idea is it cooks in the container while I get on with other stuff! I am cooking rice and curry for 10 on a weekeknd away and only have one big gas ring, was going to get another but a £35+pp its getting expensive. Thought while the rice was 'self cooking' I could do the curry. Have had a google but with no luck.
  6. Some oil in a pan on heat and coat the rice,

cup of rice, 2 cups of water, you're trying to generously cover the rice with water.

Boil the the water down, until the rice stats to show above the water.

Then remove from the ring and cover with a couple of layers of cling film and leave to finish off.
  7. It only takes 10 mins. If your curry's in a fb iron pot it won't cool down in that time.
  8. DOH! Thats a very good point.

Thanks all.
  9. I don't think the ratio of water to rice matters that much, just make sure there's plenty of lightly salted water otherwise it will either boil dry or go stodgy and starchy. I think the key thing is to add the rice to the boiling water and once it's come back to the boil turn the heat down to a very gentle simmer. Once its cooked drain it and then rinse it thoroughly with hot water. The other thing to do is use Basmati rice for curries and chillis etc, anything else is just isn't as good.
  10. Have you ever tried a rice steamer? Perfect rice every time, add 1 x cup of rice to 2 x cups of water. Genuinely Squaddie proof, switches itself to warm mode when rice is cooked.
  11. 3 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Bring to a rolling boil. Put the lid on and turn off the heat.

Wait 20 minutes and the rice should be lovely. If it is still too firm add 1 more cup of water. Turn the heat on again until the water is boiling then turn off and leave for 5 minutes.

For Turkish rice add a knob of butter, a pinch of stock and about a third of a teaspoon of sugar at the first rolling boil. This gives you a fatter, richer rice .