Cooking in the field

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by ben0239, Oct 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am down to teach recruits how to cook in the field, i was wondering if any of you guys knew how i could jazz up the lesson and make it more interesting for the recruits.
    Cheers

2. Just chuck it all in a metal mug with curry powder, is there any other way?

3. Dig a hole and place rat pack box, with the bottom cut out, on top. Fill the hole with all manner of things - champers, crisps, Mcdonalds and then start to pull out the contents of a rat pak :p e.t.c

If you want to wind them up (involves some prep work) - Get a fat marker and draw a 6inch dia ring near the base of a tree. Mount the front plastic bit of a plug socket to said tree. Tell the recruits that the army is so kind that it provides power outlets so you can bring your t.v microwave on ex. Demo this by having a boogy box which runs off batts but has a cable plugged up. Show them how to find them on a map by pointing out red range flags.

On a serious note, I had to do one of these lesson types a few weeks back (it was combined with shelter cconstruction and the contents of a bergan) kind of a living in the field stand. Found it best to get a full rat pack, hold up and show them. Then have another spread out on half a poncho with the other half covering it. Abracadabra ,fold it back and start to talk them through the bits and bobs main meals, chewing gum, jobby tokens e.t.c. Whilst this was happening I had an assistant boiling up several rat paks and then passed them round (got loads of plastic forks from the cook house). I found the standd to be quite informal and a good chance to have a talk with them .

Hope it all goes well , any questions , shout.

BeastAS

5. With BeastAS on the extras idea. It's more amusing if you don't over do it. No need for a hole, just add a spirits miniature, some haribo, tabasco, etc that can just fit into a open rat pack and see how many complain somebody's nicked the good stuff and for how long!

I had a particularly daft doris moan at me on her 5th weekend that someone always nicked the starmix from her box.

CW

6. Carefully open the sundries bag and put a £5 note inside but on full view, tell them its emergency money or something.

7. Just thought I would expand this as I've had several pms asking for it in more detail.

The lesson took place in a copse of trees and covered the following elements- 24hr Rat pack, Shelter construction, contents of a bergan and a wee bit of cam and concealment.

24hr rat pack - as above. The poncho was set out ahead of time and the contents of one rat pack was spread out and covered over. Quick intro as to who I was and what they would be shown. Flashed a full un-opened 24 rat pack explaining that for every 24hrs in the field hopefully you will be issued one of these blah blah. Poncho was then pulled back to show the contents. Jabbered on for 5 mins about the various bits and bobs that make up a rat pack (didn't mention the range card , I didn't want to over complicate things as this was very much an introduction to living in the field ). Whilst all this was going on my glam assistant had been brewing up several meals and brews. At this stage hexy and cookers were shown and the windproof matches were also demo'd. Then t'was grubs up. Let them poke and prob at the various meals and then moved on to the second stage of the lesson.
    All this involved was a bergan packed for ex to let them feel the weight and the contents of a second bergan, laid out infront of the recruits with a fully constructed basha behind. Started off with the typical contents of a combat jacket (torch , gloves , notebook pen,compass) and gore-tex , then went on to fleece, then moved onto webbing. Pointed out what goes where in webbing and then pulled out my camcream from my spare pouch, explaining what it was used for before tossing three or four into the crowd and letting them crack on, the majority spread it on like butter. Then I picked up my kevlar ( which was next to the webbing but fully cammed up, explained what it was for e.t.c I then pointed out the various bits and bobs of the basha and the multiple ways in which it can be constructed. Once this was on I moved on to waterproofing which can be done with £20 canoe bags or 20p freezer bags, then the lesson was wrappedup with explaining the contents of a washkit/boot kit.

The main points I was trying to emphasise was
    -that this was just an introduction and that when they deployed on their first field ex this would all be covered again by their section IC/2IC.
    -Also not to go out and spunk all their money on gucci kit- the boss wants them to learn how to use the issue kit first.
    -The last point was that if they want to take it, they have to carry it.

(I wasn't really bothered about getting pms but im off for the next few days working so this is probably the most efficent way to answer any questions)

Hope this helps

BeastAS

8. Play 'soggy biscuit'?

9. The rat-pack demo (hole in ground trick) is ace

you would be amazed at the number of Sandhurst 'trainees' who get their notepads out when you do the rat-pack demo and you tell them the NATO Stock No for

Ration Pack, Suplementary, Officers for the use of.

mind you, the rat-pack does come with napkin, candlestick and candle, gingham clothe and little bottle of red wine :lol:

10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Big bottle of Tabasco for a bit of a change.

11. Just going a bit off the rat-pack thing but staying with "The hole in the ground thingy". I had to do a cas-sim exercise. I carefully deturfed and dug a hole in the ground just big enough for the bottom part of a guys leg to go in up to the knee. I sat the guy down with his leg in the hole and filled in the earth and cut the turf around him. I got plastecine and some meat and stuff from the cookhouse and made up the leg to look like it was blown off. I'd also got a dummy leg and placed it several feet away and made that up too, DMS boot, combats, blood n guts etc. Done a few other cas-sim bits and then the exercise started. You should have seen the looks on some of the guys faces when they came across this guy with half a leg.

BT.

12. BT

your my kinda guy!!

If you cant put them off joining - we'll put them off eating!! :lol:

13. When I was a Alpha MFC I was atttached to one of the Rifle Company's. I always carried a tin of "mixed made-up" spices, curry, chilli, black pepper, a bott of tabasco and jar of mustard.

There was a lull in the battle and we were in a barn in North Germany. I'd made a superb spicey stew and ate the lot - I was starving. I spotted one of the fresh young Ruperts who was under a bit of stress from the Company Comd, I could feel a "wind-up" coming on. I went over and offered to be helpfull and cook his dinner ( I was aware he hated spicey food). I done him a lovely dinner (my style) and watched and waited while he took a spoonful. He coughed and spluttered and said its TOO HOT. In that case I'd better eat it as I'd hate to see it wasted after I took so much time over it. Unfortunately I never got to cook for him again.

BT

14. Mega, how long did it take to think that one up? In between fire-plans were we?

15. I had some guys fresh out of phase 2 training to look after and was shocked at how little they knew when it came to cooking. As we where OPFOR and vehicle bourne i took a gas stove and non stick pan for the mandatory egg banjo's, i couldnt believe it when they all gathered around to watch me fry an egg as none of them knew how to. The most experienced chef among them proudly boasted he could cook beans on toast.

You must remember that most have been waited on hand and foot by mummy and wont yet realise the importance of coping for them selves.

I wish you luck in your lesson.