Cooking 1906 stylee

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by General Melchett, Oct 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Found a "Soldier's Small Book" from 1906 the other day. The small book was carried by all soldiers and contained personal details, N.O.K, Will and other useful information such as how to clean scarlet tunics. It also has a filed cooking section. For your amusement I have copied the text. Anyone wish to try them out?

IN MESS TIN FOR 1 MAN

1. Plain stew - Meat 12ozs, one small carrot and onion, one teaspoon of flour, a pinch of pepper and salt, water as required.

2. Irish stew - Meat 12ozs, potatoes 1lb, one small onion, a pinch of pepper ans salt, water as required.

3. Curry stew - Meat 12ozs, one small carrot and onion, one teaspoon of flour, pinch of pepper, salt and curry powder, water as required.

OK, so far you can see they follow a theme, so bear with me there's more....

4. Sea Pie - Meat 12ozs, potatoes 1lb, one small carrot and onion, three tablespoons of flour, suet or dripping 1/2 oz, a pinch of baking powder, pepper and salt, water as required.

Not quite sure what's fishy about that one.

5. Meat pudding - Meat 12ozs, three tablespoons of flour, suet or dripping 1/2oz, a pinch of baking powder, pepper and salt, water as required.

Yummy............

It then goes on to describe how to make each dish. In the case of Sea pie a paste has to made from flour and suet. One layer of meat and veg, layer of paste, layer of meat and veg, layer of paste. Hole to be made in each layer of paste. Boil for for about 1 1/2 hours.

I may have to try Sea Pie this weekend.

2. As you say, Sea Pie a very fishy story, Not.
    john