• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Cookie found in the Rhine.

It must be a really S L O W day for the scum working the Mail , No news just reruns of old news with one exception.

Blockbuster bomb found in the Rhine in Koblenz with 45000 being evacuated for its disposal on sunday.

Best line is...

It is expected to take several hours to make the bomb safe. Should it show signs of going off, experts would have seven seconds to get clear.

Hmm 7 seconds to run away from a 4000 , 8000 or 12000 lb bomb. The experts are also in the
German run as fast as light team I guess:)

As it is the Daily Mail reporting, I would say they have actually found a hand grenade, or at most a panzerfaust, and they are having to evacuate one Schnell Imbiss and a resident wino.

Its scary to think of all the unexploded munitions lying around. I saw a programme about a French bomb dispoal team a while ago, and I think they said they had enough work to last the next several hundred years!
Just to give you an idea of what's out there:

a blind 2,000 lb bomb sat on over 8,000 155 mm HE Shells, about 93 metric tonnes of high explosive

Attachments

It was estimated when I was at 33 that there was enough known work on the books to keep the BACs teams employed for another 40 years and that is just in the UK. Plus all the stuff that was just dumped and nobody was told.

Where I grew up in East Anglia, the place was apparently so littered with UXBs, every spring, the farmers would sing, "We plough the fields, and scatter..."

Dont think the people of Koblenz find it so funny, half the towns population nearly 50,000 people are being evacuated at the weekend
it is a british 4000pounder ,you should be happy( thai exile)it is a rather big handgranade!! most of the isaan thai in koblenz live in that area ,we have our clubhouse there too!!
just hope everything goes well on sunday

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dont think the people of Koblenz find it so funny, half the towns population nearly 50,000 people are being evacuated at the weekend
it is a british 4000pounder ,you should be happy( thai exile)it is a rather big handgranade!! most of the isaan thai in koblenz live in that area ,we have our clubhouse there too!!
just hope everything goes well on sunday
Perhaps it's one that my grandfather left!

I remember flying into RAF Guttersloh with him. The Border bloke (a Brit) asked him if he had been to Germany before - he uttered the immortal line:

"I've flown over it several times but never landed before." Not original but never-the-less it impressed me and gave the border bod a good laugh.

Watch any building site in any city in Germany and you will see the Kampfmittelräumungsdienst wagons roll up before any digging into the ground comences.

And I did hear that up until very recently a padre would be on hand at any new dig in the bigger cities as digging up the odd corpse was very regular.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
From memory something like 10% of Bomber Commands' HE bombs failed to explode. That's an awful lot of unexploded ordnance. A lot would have been defused at the time - and more blown up in situ. But that still leaves a fair few unexploded bombs. I guess they'll be turning up for the next 50 years...

Anyone from EOD care to hazard a guess as to whether said bombs get more or less stable with time?

Wordsmith

Latest Threads