cooing at babies now banned

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by semper, Sep 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hate to say it, but nothing surprises me anymore. This was bound to happen, even though the babies probably benifit from contact with others and the human baby's face is round with big eyes to make it attractive to other humans..... but hey, let's not let nature get in the way of PC now shall we? Teach everyone that they shouldn't like babies, shouldn't be unsure of people that are different from ourselves, and that women should sort out their careers and leave having their first baby until they ar over 40. And these people are supposed to be experts!
  2. What a total load of bollocks.

That neonatal manager should be giving a damn good talking to.

It's like:

3. If I got told off for cooing over a baby, I believe my response would be rather abusive.
  4. Then you'd be breeching their human rights. And we couldn't do that now could we?

Where do these people get their education from? I mean, if I was that wrong in my job I'd be out on my ARRSE or waiting on in the mess!
  5. To be fair they were talking about the neonatal unit (special care baby unit). There is a massive cross infection risk to premature and sick babies. And as a midwife myself I can almost understand what they are trying to achieve.....but it does seem that the world has gone mad!!! It would be quicker and easier to just restrict visiting. There was much less cross infection when there were only 2 visitors allowed at a time and only for short periods! I am getting carried away now......sorry......MATRON!!!!!
  6. i guarentee they didn't ask the opinion of a single baby either.
  7. Too true, and if they are so much 'their own little people' try saving staff and letting the independant little mites look after themselves in the ward...... not going to happen is it?
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

OK, I accept what Scotch Mist has to say and respect that point of view.

However I am left with a question which does not seem to have been fully answered -does this ban include Babes? :twisted: :wink:
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

If the reason for this is infection control, and the babies are in SCBU or NICU, where are all the people doing the cooing coming from? At most hospitals access is restricted to all critical care areas; maternity units in particular have high security, though it is unclear whether this is to prevent childless lunatics stealing babies or to stop the madwives getting out.
  10. At my place of work it is to stop us getting out....wibble....
  11. ungrateful bunch of little baastards! we've been looking out for them for years and they pull a stunt like that? they come over here and steal our women, nick our jobs, watch 'blues clues' on the telly when we want to letch, expect their food to be squashed up...then still spit it out!

zero tolerance tolerance
  12. Some of the neonatal units I have worked in have been quite big , with a lot of cots. With all the grandparents ect visiting, there can be quite a number of people around at visiting time.
    What tends to happen is that these visitors wander over to other incubators/cots and start asking questions (quite naturally). Then they start touching the baby (again quite naturally while asking the questions!). This is the cross infection point!
    It is difficult as staff, to tell them that "sorry, that is medical in confidence. I am not allowed to tell you anything about this sick baby without its parents permission!". People can get quite huffy!
  13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Little wonder, then, that the vast majority of non-clinical complaints in the NHS centre around poor communication by staff.

The NHS has brought this situation upon itself; in the days of proper ward sisters visitors would have either not dared to ask in the first place, or have accepted the bollocking without demur. Allowing unlimited visiting is bad for the patient, who doesn't get a minute to rest, bad for infection control, and bad for the ward routine (though this seems to barely exist these days). I was in ITU today, and had to fight my way through a crowd of pikey visitors just to get onto the unit. It was not difficult to identify which patient they had come to see; the 30 year-old, massively obese stroke victim - all those pies had obviously come back to haunt her. An old-fashioned sister would have imposed some order on the family - two visitors, limited time and kindly have a wash before coming again.

/rant off