• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Convince me to join the Signals...

I'm shortly going to Briefing, and with any luck then to Main Board and Sandhurst in May. My corps of choice are RLC or Signals. I know people in both, and I get conflicting advice every time I talk to them. A few people I know in the Signals say they wish they had joined the RLC, and I'll agree that there are plenty of things about the RLC that attracts me.

However, there are also several things about Signals that attract me, and the problem with what you read in the recruitment spiel is that its all pretty much the same, whichever corp you look at. Chance to lead, diversity of role, good career prospects, good sport and so on. Both corps appeal to me a lot, though at the moment the Signals is slightly ahead because they say you are highly likely to be sent on operations quickly after commissioning.

So I'm just after some friendly advice, on what an Officer can expect. I have my fam visit in January which is sadly after my Briefing, but the earliest they could manage. I realise at Briefing I don't have to have chosen a career, but I want to go in forearmed as to which corp I want to join and why.

Convince you to join our Royal Corps?

How about if you don't want to join you go and join somebody else... I couldn't give a fcuk less if you join us or not. If you don't join us, another LE gets your slot. Simples.

Go to each capbadge and make your own mind up, as you seem to be in a bit of quandry at present. And i don't see how the opinions of strangers can help, if the opinions of mates currently confuse.

I wouldn't beleive the ops thing either. We have RLC out on ops too, and they need subbies just as much as the Royal Corps.

Obviously, asking was asking for trouble, but if you don't have anything constructive to add, just hit the 'Back' button :).

Thanks for the few useful PMs so far.

Off to Sandhurst in Jan, just came back from an attachment to 1Div and have done a few FAM visits with the corps. PM me if you want some advice. All I will say is that the "spiel" as you call it will more often than not outline the soldiers career and career oppertunities. not those of an officer.
To clarify, stand by for a career of G1!

We've got a great cap badge!

Does the foot still fall off?
yeh our cap badge is the best, foot falls off, and if you turn it on its side it looks like a jack russel mounting jimmy, while a rabbit stands and watches lol, someone showed me that the other day.

as an officer mind yours will be sown on.

Convince US you are good enough to join the Royal Corps. There are plenty of me, me, me officers out there. Convince us you are a leader.
To be fair he's not really doing that. He's just asking 'I've got a choice; from those inside what's the difference between the two so I can make a better decision?' To either one he'll then say that he's got a hundred GCSEs and captained the human race rugby team and all the rest of it: but at this stage that's not what it's about

yeh our cap badge is the best, foot falls off, and if you turn it on its side it looks like a jack russel mounting jimmy, while a rabbit stands and watches lol, someone showed me that the other day.

Not to mention some 'funny' bastard occasionally turns the crown upside down when you put your beret down

I'm not seeing the Jack Russel or the Rabbit, can you enlighten me?

Latest Threads