Convictions too few - Goldsmith

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DozyBint, May 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ref the reasons given for suspects being set free, the one that offends me most is that cases are not ready. Why on Earth not? In the interest of justice we must have a system that's capable of pulling together prosecution cases so that those charged with crimes do not get set free because of clerical errors. Is it that funds are not allocated to provide a highly trained and adequately staffed prosecution department? If not, why not? I don't know how much money each year is spent on legal aid, and with our tradition of the rule of law it is right and proper that the public purse funds defence for those who cannot afford proper defence for themselves, but this (seemingly excessive) funding should be balanced by proper funding of the prosecuting office.

This government appears to have a knack of reducing the effectiveness of the state in every branch of public service and when it affects something as integral to the balance of society as law and order, something has to be done PDQ to restore public faith. I don't want this to be just another rant against the government, but this has got beyond a joke. The police operate under all sorts of restrictions and 'softly, softly' policies, so in order to bring the accused through the processes of arrest and charge they have to struggle, so to then have the accused set free without being tried is galling in the extreme.

I accept that there are some things that the state can't mitigate against, unless it's a totalitarian regime, but I believe that we have the right to expect and demand more from our government than they deliver.

Apologies for any incoherence – a bottle of Merlot stands empty before me... :oops:
  2. Perhaps not everybody arrested/charged by the police/CPS is actually guilty of a crime? Just a thought........

I'm off to call a police horse 'gay', before flashing my lights at another driver to warn of a nearby speed camera etc etc. Public faith in the system? Oppressive police state? Hmmmm.
  3. The one that offends me most is "but the government was working to tackle the problem and more offenders were being taken to court." Is it? If so, more offenders may be taken to court, its the shite sentences passed for those who are clearly guilty or repeat offenders that is also the part of the problem.

Damn right we expect more.
  4. Re. the more offenders taken to court bollix.

Last year my step-son was taken to Court for involvement in a street robbery even though the CCTV footage depicted someone half his height and twice his width. Reason given, he was charged before the CCTV evidence became available hence the CPS pushed on with the prosecution against the advice of the officers concerned.
    Result the Judge threw it out on the second appearance... Why push ahead with the trial? According to the targets to be met it was another "offender" charged and taken to Court.

Final result another nail in the coffin of respect for the Law from a law-abiding family.