Convictions/Cautions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by loggielad, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was 17 I was a bit of a naughty boy( before I joined the army) and found myself in a bit of bother. My mate nicked a bottle of wine from a holiday camp night club , and I was with him. He was caught and later got a conviction for theft. He tried to keep me out of it as best he could, but I later decided to hand myself into the local nick so I would' nt have anything pending over me.

Cut a long story short, I was in and out the nick within 3 hours and nothing further was ever done. I was cautioned however. Now if I was 17, would it have been classed as a juvenile caution?

Im applying for a job, within the public sector and it states that all convictions must be declared including spent convictions. Am I right in thinking that a caution is not a conviction? Or should I write it down anyway?...yes its a bit embarrasing, but it was a long time ago and a stupid situation to have been in.

2. I should seek legal advice if I were you, but I believe that a caution does count as a criminal record

3. If I can throw my tuppence in here.....

I was cautioned for drunk/disorderly when I was 17 - nothing major, just couldn't stand up after too much falling down juice.

I'm now an F2 doctor - ~I decalred it and was asked to explain it. What could I say? Young lad, pissed up, trying to impress the girls......it went down well.

If you're a good lad, if it's clear you took it on board, don't worry too much - Im sure the Army is the same as the NHS ~( and in selection process now for Sandhurst). How old are you now? A year down the line might be a problem. 5 years, not so much. It really depends on how you conduct yourself in the interim. Screw the nut, head down and you might have a chance. Good luck, I hope you get what you want. You sund a worthwhile lad - take it on the chin, learn and move on.

4. If you were aged 17 or under, then you will have received either a caution or a reprimand(depending on how long ago it was). You are right to say that this is not a conviction. You can only be convicted at court. Normally if an employer wants to know about cautions or reprimands then they will ask the specific question.
    I'm no good at links, but if you google the rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974. It will tell all.

5. Was a long time ago, Im nearly 40 lol.

Though Ive been informed that cautions are still held on the CRB or PNC. That said, young people do make mistakes, the Armed forces know that more than most employers.

6. I wouldn't worry about it or tell them about it in that case

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Why is this in Current Affairs?

8. Because the subject is s topic at the moment, as we've seen with the new vetting procedures.

9. that "caution" is now spent.

No need to declare anything

10. All cautions are now kept forever, labour got rid of spent convictions deletion. Spent convictions paperwork used to thrown away. If it was a while ago it may have been binned, more recent ones will be in the CRB computers at Swansea/Cardiff (?).

You can apply for a Police check yourself- ours was 10 pounds from the local nick when we emigrated. this takes two weeks and will tell you if you have anything against you. This may have changed in the last three years as big brother became more powerful.

Good luck.

11. Well I was a seriously bad boy when I was 16 and only got out when I was 18 so after the Army accepted me I thought that was that. I was asked once (about 20 yrs later) to have a Criminal records check, and to declare any previous offences however far back. This is because my job might bring me into contact with schools and they had to check all potential employees/contrators. I denied the lot apart from driving offences, and was given the all clear. Let me tell you what I was involved in doing was a whole lot worse than a drunken episode over a bottle of wine so my advice is keep stummmm. Do you really want to have your cautioned for offence re-judged by a public sector brain dead?