Conviction and the army

This has probably been answered before on here but i cannot seem to find it. So i have a conviction which led to 18 months suspended sentence so no custody, the sentence has been finished now last year october so 2016 october was convicted in 2014 for an affray (public order) but i applied in summer last year and they gave me until 2018 is the date i can re-apply. But just spoke to a fussilier in a temporary recruitment booth in birmingham city centre he has stated it should bare no issues as he has been in recruitment for a while now is there any actual facts people can help me out with here i will apply regardless next year but if i can bring it forward a year i will try to any more info you need ask me please as im sure this question will help a few people out.

I just got my travel confirmation and ADSC important info. It states i must tell them about convictions. Does anyone know if this is spent aswell as unspent convictions? .

I have no unspent convictions......... was all in my teen and not been tangled up by the rossers for ages do i have to declare spent convictions?

Cheers

Bud to be honest I could not remember everything i gave them a copy in 2010 at the careers office and they told me to come back In 4 years .... i applyed again and never heard anything about having to state spent convictions. They are all spent and my employer did a background check and it came back clear. Is there much point in saying anything to them ?

Bud to be honest I could not remember everything i gave them a copy in 2010 at the careers office and they told me to come back In 4 years .... i applyed again and never heard anything about having to state spent convictions. They are all spent and my employer did a background check and it came back clear. Is there much point in saying anything to them ?
If you are unsure ask.

I'd advise against 'ducking and diving' or trying to be 'smart'.

Giving someone a slap five years ago won't necessarily stop you joining, lying about it WILL.

Integrity is, as you will hopefully find out, one of the six values you'll be expected to adhere to.

I completely agree thats why I took my record in there years ago .........tbh the recruiter laughed as he was reading it and said " you will fit right in " lol ..... I will just say i got spent convictions do not remember them all as it was so long ago and go with the flow.

You may have to be Security Cleared...SC, just best off telling them everything

Your employer must have done a "basic" one if he actually did one at all. An Enhanced check will show everything. The last such check I had for the ACF clearly showed an assault charge/conditional discharge from 32 years earlier.

So when they ask you, tell that you only have "spent" convictions and give details if or when they ask you what those are for.

Thanks guys he said he will access my application by the end of the week, today.
And give me a call Monday - Tuesday time after he has done some other stuff he said. But regardless I'm going to work anyways and keep on top of my fitness for the following 14 or so months and September next year just apply again it will 100% be spent then. And won't affect the process, from what I understand, If I can't get my fitness top notch within that time I don't deserve to join anyhow. Feel good now can only get better surely.

Ok guys people who are interested I have been to a TA centre local to me in sandwell, to speak to somebody face to face who knows the score and can access my application. He has explained the NRC are fully in charge until you get to passed phase 1, they can decide whether or not to allow you earlier, to continue say for example i was convicted in september 2014 and i got 12 months suspended sentence anything over 12 months and before 24 you have a rehab period of 4 years so it would be september 2018 and then people are told to apply. But as i have been so persistent and my conviction i quote 'in comparison what is seen it is a minor conviction' She has stated i can re-apply as early as first of january 2018
right The NRC National recruitment centre in essence own you until you pass out it is a independent body separate from the army so to speak that is why they have so much clout and there are ways around it which are entirely legal and above board this has been my experience the last few months so hopefully some of use have been a little more informed and what you can consider doing next hope it has helped.

Hello people I have got an interview at my local army careers office and am a tad worried about the outcome will be. I was going to leave it until I went but as a wise man once said remember the 7 p's

"Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

Anyway here goes.. i will keep it short and sweet

when I was 17 I was charged with serious assault, the case took a while to finish and I was sent to prison when I was 19. I was sentenced to 33 months and served 14 months (due to Scottish law ). I had an a immaculate record inside prison and have managed to keep it up outside i am now 26 and am looking to join the army.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i also was in a moped accident when i was 18 and ripped off some skin on my right leg it has since been repaired and none muscle or bone damage. I practice muay thai and am at the gym at least 5 times a week and cycle everywhere. climbed the burj khalifa (165 floors)on the stair machine in the gym after leg day every week. it does not effect my fitness in any way.

was a bit wild when i was younger as we all were. I'm truly a different lad now and would like to pursue a career in the british army.

hope someone can help out, thanks for your time.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
Hello people I have got an interview at my local army careers office and am a tad worried about the outcome will be. I was going to leave it until I went but as a wise man once said remember the 7 p's

"Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

Anyway here goes.. i will keep it short and sweet

when I was 17 I was charged with serious assault, the case took a while to finish and I was sent to prison when I was 19. I was sentenced to 33 months and served 14 months (due to Scottish law ). I had an a immaculate record inside prison and have managed to keep it up outside i am now 26 and am looking to join the army.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i also was in a moped accident when i was 18 and ripped off some skin on my right leg it has since been repaired and none muscle or bone damage. I practice muay thai and am at the gym at least 5 times a week and cycle everywhere. climbed the burj khalifa (165 floors)on the stair machine in the gym after leg day every week. it does not effect my fitness in any way.

was a bit wild when i was younger as we all were. I'm truly a different lad now and would like to pursue a career in the british army.

hope someone can help out, thanks for your time.

Thanks for reading :)

Should be fully spent now between 1 yr an 2 years in custody or suspended sentence is 4 years so you should have no prblem at all but keep us (me) informed please.

I have been done with numerous convictions in my teens and I joined the reserves in 2009 when they was still unspent not a drama then 2 years later I applied to the regular army and the recruiter there told me discharge myself first from the t.a so I did and I was rejected and told I couldn't apply till they are spent so not only couldn't get in the army but now I couldn't get back in the reserves. Pissed off to say the least but ive waited till they are spent and now finally I start 1st may. P.s I also just had a police check done and even though they are all spent now I still got 3 pages of records back so yes declare everything spent or not and they will decide

So as per my past post. The new army site is absolutely frustrating in the least constant error 404 when continuing to call. Being told call back in 2 days. the last 2 weeks. So is there any guys that have an insight candidate support manager people the work at the recruitment centre as I have a ta regt in Wolverhampton a royal artillery one I have also ran the a parachute regt. They all are absolutely frustrated to say the least as they cannot find guys hat have a applied or have previously applied. I have also rang the main centre today and yesterday. Again ring back end of the week.
A website this big will undoubtedly have issues. But an army recruitment site is just baffling. It is for an infantry based role I am applying. And recently came across the RAF regt sounds interesting, although I don't want people to come on this post bad mouthing them as I have seen a lot. Which is just backward minded and makes zero sense whatsoever.
I am asking if anyone that has an insight on what is going on help me out and all the rest of the guys an girls applying for any role in the army specific as it seems to be only there site to my limited knowledge.

chuggafugga

On ROPS
On ROPs
So as per my past post. The new army site is absolutely frustrating in the least constant error 404 when continuing to call. Being told call back in 2 days. the last 2 weeks. So is there any guys that have an insight candidate support manager people the work at the recruitment centre as I have a ta regt in Wolverhampton a royal artillery one I have also ran the a parachute regt. They all are absolutely frustrated to say the least as they cannot find guys hat have a applied or have previously applied. I have also rang the main centre today and yesterday. Again ring back end of the week.
A website this big will undoubtedly have issues. But an army recruitment site is just baffling. It is for an infantry based role I am applying. And recently came across the RAF regt sounds interesting, although I don't want people to come on this post bad mouthing them as I have seen a lot. Which is just backward minded and makes zero sense whatsoever.
I am asking if anyone that has an insight on what is going on help me out and all the rest of the guys an girls applying for any role in the army specific as it seems to be only there site to my limited knowledge.
Why don't you go to the AFCO aka nearest recruitment office...

Have done and gain they just apologising on the behalf I have only got to the declare tattoo part. And then the RFI493 form which is just a dead link. Again they stated wait for a chaser email. Which got sent to me yesterday with the 493 form again a link comes up up with error 404. Ill ring again tomorrow I have a name of my candidate support officer. Ill ring her directly tomorrow. But if anyone on here works in the big recruiting centre help me out as I am just getting referred until the next day each time I call.

Latest Threads