Converting iTunes files

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Trans-sane, May 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything. And I don't do software if I can help it... Change scares me. But onto the question.

Does anyone know of any free software or programs that can convert (the never sufficiently damned) iTunes format music files into mp3 format files? Desireability will be ranked on ease of use by a bit of a software biff (I know what I know and am cautious of doing anything extra after breaking my first 2 computers YEARS ago by buggering around :lol: )
  2. Assuming you have it in iTunes burn it to CD then rip from CD to MP3
    Use a re-writeable CD if you don't want to keep the copy
  3. Trans-sane

Had tried this. Refused point blank to burn to a CD. No prompts, no errors, just didn't work
  4. iTunes will do it for you. Honestly. Change your import settings to MP3 and then you can right click on a track or selection and convert to MP3. It won't work with older tracks that you bought off the Store before Jan last year, though - the ones with the DRM on them. You may be able to re-download those.
  5. as he said, iTunes will do it for you, always offering to convert to whatever your import settings are.

failing that, for macs there is a program called 'Switch' - I don't know if it's PC-able, but it's good if you're a mac user.
  6. Seconded.

Or download freeware "Audacity" - use the portable version on a flash memory key if you want. I think that will do the job too (and a few more things beside)
  7. Trans-sane

And in the irony of ironies the advert banner at the bottom of the screen is advertising file converters...
  8. Google is watching you :policeflat:
  9. I use WinFF as it can reformat video and audio files in bulk and thus is useful for collections of music.

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've used 'Copy Trans', which was a free download, to convert WMA to iTunes. It has buttons for converting from iTunes to MP3 but I have not tried them yet.

I ended up paying for WinX to convert DVDs to iTunes which it does very nicely thank you. I tried several free downloads but none of them performed. It also says it will convert most things to most other things.

I just wonder why Apple make it so difficult. They have not made anything from the $29 I paid for WinX. They did not stop me from making the conversions I wanted to, all they have done is needlessly muck a customer about.
  11. Yes you can get 'Switch' for PC and very good it is. I use it to convert stuff from itunes, flak files and wav to glorious mp3 :D
  12. I use converter called Tuneraft and I like the results, the conversion process is fast and the output files quality is good. It's a shareware soft, but maybe smb will find it useful. You can try it for free here: