Converting a picture for use as an avatar

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by skintboymike, Jun 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I've got a cracking picture I'd like to display as my avatar, but have no idea how to convert it to the required resolution. Can anyone help?

  2. resize it if you've any image software....or put it up here and see if anyone can do it for you if you dont have the kit.
  3. Can't put it on here, says it's too big.

    Image manipulation such as what? Is there anything on MS Office that could do it?
  4. Go to here and download Irfanview. It's a very small, very fast, image viewer for just about all image types. I found it about 6 years ago and haven't needed anything else since for basic photo / pic tasks. It really is good

    Load your pic into it and go to Image/resize-resample on the menu. Type in the max avatar width (120 pixels from memory) and it will automatically set the height in proportion. If the height is still too big then type the max size in there instead and it will get the width right. Click OK then go to File/Save As, type in a new name and in the Save as Type box choose JPG - JPEG files. Ignore the settings that pop up and click on save. It should save it to your My Documents folder as default.

    Reall is that easy :)
  5. Gremlin

    Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

    Very good advice.

    If you have no luck with that PM me.
  6. You can resize a picture using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I believe its Tools>Resize. It allows you to resize by pixel width/height.
  7. Or upload it to imageshack, give us the link then any number of us will be able to resize it for you.
  8. One of the upload options on imageshack is to 100x75 for avatars, if you click the down arrow on the size options.